Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rob Zombie to remake The Blob

Options
  • 28-08-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

After reviving the "Halloween" franchise, Rob Zombie will next reinvent "The Blob."
    Zombie will write, direct and produce a remake of the 1958 horror classic that launched the career of Steve McQueen. Production will begin next spring.

Zombie's deal to make "The Blob" his next film comes as Dimension opens "Halloween II," the Zombie-directed sequel to his 2007 hit "Halloween."

In the original "Blob," an object from space crashes into a field, containing a red blob-like substance that absorbs the humans it contacts and grows exponentially. While Zombie was a fan of the original, he's formulated a decidedly different take that he would not reveal.

"My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing -- that's the first thing I want to change," Zombie said. "That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now."

Zombie will produce with Genre Co.'s Richard Saperstein and Brian Witten; original "Blob" producer Jack H. Harris; and Judith Parker Harris of Worldwide Entertainment Corp. and Andy Gould.

Saperstein, the former Dimension Films president who developed a relationship with Zombie while they worked on "Halloween," said that funding is in place to make an R-rated film that will cost around $30 million. The budget model is similar to that of recent fright fare like "Cloverfield" and "District 9," and they expect to firm a distribution deal before production begins. Genre Co. is in pre-production on the independently financed, Darren Bousman-directed remake "Mother's Day."

"I'd been looking to break out of the horror genre, and this really is a science fiction movie about a thing from outer space," Zombie said. "I intend to make it scary, and the great thing is I have the freedom once again to take it in any crazy direction I want to."

Zombie has begun writing. He'll follow the release of "Halloween II" with a new album and tour this fall and get the script done at that time.

Shara Kay and Jeremy Platt will be "Blob" co-producers, and David Mendez is exec producer.

Zombie’s repped by ICM and managed by Spectacle Entertainment’s Andy Gould.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007857.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Meh.
    He should stick to original material if you ask me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Come on, it's already been remade! My head hurts...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So he is remaking The Blob but getting rid of the blob?

Great idea :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Given his film output so far, I'm intrigued. If he takes the concept of The Blob and perhaps gives it a visual approach a bit more like, say, Lovecraft's "The Colour Out Of Space" it could work. I mean, I don't like the idea of remaking The Blob without a blob in it, but at the same time he has a point - you show a current audience an updated version of that film using a red-jelly blob as the monster of the piece and people will laugh, then walk out of the cinema and ask for their money back....

I remain curious to see what he does with it, not to mention excited about the new album that's on the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I am kinda worried,particularly because of this
    "I'd been looking to break out of the horror genre, and this really is a science fiction movie about a thing from outer space," Zombie said. "I intend to make it scary, and the great thing is I have the freedom once again to take it in any crazy direction I want to."

Its going to be about a thing from outer space,but not the Blob.

Is it going to be a remake of The Thing in all but name?

Was he not able to secure the rights for a remake of The Thing,got the Blob instead and will now take it in any crazy direction that he see's fit?

Be afraid,be very afraid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In fairness, it's a bit early for any kind of serious comment or expectation from the film if he's only just started writing it. Maybe it'll be good, maybe it'll be bad, or maybe Rob Zombie will get hit by a milk truck next week and it'll never get made. Let's not start the wailing and gnashing of teeth just yet, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Still I want to see rob zombie do a zombie movie. I think ill wait to see his new halloween 2 film first before I worry about Mr. Blobby.
    I did really like his first halloween, I thought it was just about the best horror remake i had ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I did really like his first halloween, I thought it was just about the best horror remake i had ever seen.

Carpenter's The Thing ftw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Fysh wrote: »
    Lovecraft's "The Colour Out Of Space"

:cool: Fine taste in reading material right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

The thing is a remake? I did not know that....

The thing is a remake? I did not know that....

Really?

Then Im afraid I must insist you hang up your Horror-mod spurs.
    :pac:

The original isnt that bad of a movie anyway.I saw it years ago before I had seen Carpenters version.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

But isent that really a sifi film anyays. Still a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

This really perplexes me. If he's remaking The Blob, but wont be featuring the eponymous Blob. Then he's not really remaking The Blob, is he?

Creature wrote: »
    This really perplexes me. If he's remaking The Blob, but wont be featuring the eponymous Blob. Then he's not really remaking The Blob, is he?

any crazy direction I want to
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'm not sure if Rob Zombie is capable of making a movie that doesn't involve Redneck white thrash acting hysterically and saying the word f**k constantly. Halloween was one of the most bizarre remakes I've ever seen.

That said I enjoyed The Devils Rejects. Although it was grotesque, hysterical and completely over the top it had a good 70's vibe to it.

Devils Rejects is an outstanding horror movie,easily one of the best in the last 10 years.

House of 1000 Corpses was pretty good as a debut flick.Hopefully the rumours of it getting a fully uncut release are true.

Halloween wasnt bad as remakes go.I have yet to see the workprint of it but have heard from most thats its much better than the theatrical version.

He should stick with original material otherwise he is going to end up as just another hack that cannot come up with ideas of his own.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Rob Zombie is capable of making a movie that doesn't involve Redneck white thrash acting hysterically and saying the word f**k constantly. Halloween was one of the most bizarre remakes I've ever seen.

That said I enjoyed The Devils Rejects. Although it was grotesque, hysterical and completely over the top it had a good 70's vibe to it.

Copied this from the Halloween thread as I really didn't fancy typing pretty much the same thing again.
    From 3 films he has shown that he is a talented writer and director. You can't really judge House of 1,000 Corpses as his original cut was butchered by the studio and over 30 minutes was destroyed. Devil's Rejects is one of the best genre films of many years and managed to be the grindhouse film Tarantino tried so desperately to make with Grindhouse.

Halloween was an interesting choice for Zombie as he had stated that eh did not want to remake the original and if you watch his cut of the film that is the case. While the second half of the film is identical to the original this is down tot he studio and not Zombie. He realised that if he did'nt give in to some of the studios demands they would simply re-shoot the film or cut it to ribbons to get the desired effect.

To me Zombie is exactly what the American studio driver horror system needs. He's not afraid to take risks and isn't going to turn in some generic, cliched, PG13 slasher film.

Now if only someone would finance his version of the Crow, the script is one of the true great unproduced masterpieces.

As for the Blob, well I have every faith in Zombie and do think that replacing the Blob is a wise decision. Does anyone seriously believe that todays audiences will take the Blob serious as a threat. Granted those of use with a fondness for classic sci fi would like to see the Blob return in all it's glory but remember that Zombie has to be very careful here. He needs to make a film which the studio is happy with as well as ensuring that his remake is different enough to stand on its own two feet.

Then why go to the bother of securing the remake rights to it and why call it the Blob?

Thats what is puzzling me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

"My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing -- that's the first thing I want to change," Zombie said. "That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now."
    you show a current audience an updated version of that film using a red-jelly blob as the monster of the piece and people will laugh, then walk out of the cinema and ask for their money back....
    As for the Blob, well I have every faith in Zombie and do think that replacing the Blob is a wise decision. Does anyone seriously believe that todays audiences will take the Blob serious as a threat. Granted those of use with a fondness for classic sci fi would like to see the Blob return in all it's glory

Is everyone forgetting the 1988 remake of The Blob which freakin ruled and has some brilliantly creepy moments? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Originally Posted by spooky donkey

HELLO, THE FLY? (bad Back to the Future joke, sorry....)

On topic, as others have said I don't see why he wants to remake The Blob without a blob. I understand it will be easier to get financing if the title is well known but people keep telling me Zombie is not just another hack so I imagine he has bigger and better ambitions then that?

It COULD work but I don't think Zombie has the talent to pull it off (god the Halloween 2 trailer looks abysmal, you don't try to "deconstruct" pure evil)

Advertisement