Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how tight would you go

Options
  • 28-08-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

hi all
    was just wondering what would be the best choke to use if you were firing solid slugs from a 12g .
    common sense would suggest that there would be no benifit from using any choke and true cylinder would be best...
    i have heard of a person using 1/2 choke and having the choke tube blown out of the barrel !!!!
    what do ye think ?????

ian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I think whoever told you that story is full of crap. I have fired slugs through cylinder, Improved cylinder, Modified, Full and Turkey(Extra Full) choke and never blew the choke out of the barrel. Didn't even have any trouble unscrewing them afterward.

Common sense says that a slug should have to compress and consequently deform more the tighter the choke is - which should have a knock-on effect on accuracy - but my Winchester 1300 always shot tighter groups with Imp. Cylinder than it did with straight cylinder.

It's a hypothetical question at best anyway, since shotgun slugs are restricted. I doubt your local FAO would give out a permit for them just to pull a mythbusters test with varying constrictions of choke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've fired them out of half and three quarter.

I did look up the manufacturer's recommendations beforehand though.

You'll always get stories. Best bet is to find out from them who know, and that ain't story tellers, gun dealers etc. Go to source and ask ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shot them from Full choke alot with no problem too,and even from the same gun that Yank In Eire mentioned with full choke as well as Remmy and Mossberg.It's not a problem.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

for curiosity,has anyone tried shooting home made sabots, injecting candle wax into the cartridge :eek: Dont try this at home unless in the presence of an adult:eek:
    A friend of mine from NZ used to do this for pigs when they were younger...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I was quite diappointed when this thread turned out to be about chokes.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bananaman wrote: »
    I was quite diappointed when this thread turned out to be about chokes.

B'Man

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I've fired Brenneke 12/70 ( Legia ) slugs out of a S/S Saive game gun with a full and a 3/4 choke without any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

4gun wrote: »
    for curiosity,has anyone tried shooting home made sabots, injecting candle wax into the cartridge :eek: Dont try this at home unless in the presence of an adult:eek:
    A friend of mine from NZ used to do this for pigs when they were younger...

Few lads who I go beating with were saying how effective these were on deer back in the good old days before deer rifles were commonly available. Apparently you trickle the hot wax into the top of the cartridge. The longer you let it set the harder it gets.

One ould lad said he often took deer out to 100yds it would blow a hole in the deer as big as your fist, they'ld drop dead on the spot. The cheaper the shotgun the better an ould baikal was ideal for the job as the barrels are virtually indestructible.

The chap i was talking to said they used to cut the top off the cartridge and pour in the wax. It had to be proper wax I think I'd be scared spitless to try it with some of the newer guns:D

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

thanks for the reply's lads
    so hypoteticaly if a lad had some of this restricted ammo ,any choke would be safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

ianoo wrote: »
    thanks for the reply's lads
    so hypoteticaly if a lad had some of this restricted ammo ,any choke would be safe

I wouldn't dream of using it, but if you must wait until February to try it out. No point making **** of your shotgun before the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

a quick trawl on youtube shows some interesting vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauzB1Jy2eY

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Same idea as "Hillbilly slugs"Preforate by cutting around the base of a shotgun shell around the top of the brass.When it is fired the entire shell casing, wad and shot load goes down range.Supposed to be fearsome.

Like anything with these homemade loads.Be very CAREFUL,as all it takes is a bit of wad or shell to stay in the barrel,and ruin your whole day on the next shot.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Few lads who I go beating with were saying how effective these were on deer back in the good old days before deer rifles were commonly available. Apparently you trickle the hot wax into the top of the cartridge. The longer you let it set the harder it gets.

One ould lad said he often took deer out to 100yds it would blow a hole in the deer as big as your fist, they'ld drop dead on the spot. The cheaper the shotgun the better an ould baikal was ideal for the job as the barrels are virtually indestructible.

My gandad did this with 4/10 and killed deer.. have a pic somewhere in my mothers of him standing over the deer with the 4/10.. He was a forrester and game keeper on 300 achers in shropshire....

use to use them against the 'tans or so I'm told

Advertisement