Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And i passed my theory test!

• 28-08-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

And i can finally get on a bike! yay!!
    One step closer to becoming one of ye leather wearing, hard hitting guys! :cool:

I've always wanted to get a bike but being a small bloke I kinda always felt intimidated by them... still kinda do. I've ridden mopeds before but they're light and chuckable. Never tried riding something that I wasn't sure of if I could handle the weight and all that power.

Anyway, you'll never know till you actually ride one...

So I was wondering how hard is it to learn to ride and control a bike? Like would you need much strength to tame the size and weight of something thats much heavier than you and how much of an issue height becomes when you get to ride a bike?

I don't think i'll be able to comfortable keep both feet flat on the ground on most sporty type bikes (I'm like 5'5'' so I think anything above a 30'' seat height would make that an issue) and the only cruiser bike I like is the Harley V-Rod which is wayy beyond anything I can afford. So would not being able to comfortably put both feet flat on the gound while sitting on the bike be much of a problem??

Just not sure if i'm in the right shape right now to get on the bike... I'm sure i'll eventually or else I wouldn't take the pain of passing the theory test and all but hopefully I should be cruising through the wind soon too!!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's been a while since I was one of the biking sorority (and I still miss it), but I'm 5' 7" and I couldn't put both feet completely flat on the ground with the bikes I had (CD200 Benly and CB200). I wasn't wobbling about and about to fall though, plus, I knew how to get the bike upright myself if it fell on the road.

It doesn't take long to learn how to control a bike. It becomes second nature after a while as you put all your concentration into watching the road and other users.

A 'proper' bike is much easier to control than a moped.

Congrats on passing the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Congrats on passing the test.

You should be fine on most 'race' bikes - then are not so high.

Best thing is to sit on the bike that you are keen on getting, and see if both feet reach the ground.

Do you know what bike you want to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

congrats man well done.

Wouldn't say the height/weight thing would be an issue so long as you choose your bike carefully.

Advertisement