Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I re-pot my new bonsai

Options
  • 28-08-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey,
    I impulse bought a bonsai today.
    I have a bit of experience, good and bad, with bonsais. My Japanese Maple is 3 years and going very strong. My Chinese Elm isn't...
    Anyway, I seen this beautifully curved bonsai in Homebase and just impulse bought it without doing any research.
    Turns out it's a Carmona (Fukien Tea) and with some research I've discovered it's a tricky plant to care for.
    Fair enough I'm up for a challenge.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips specific to this tree.
    Firstly, the roots are already poking through the holes at the bottom of the pot - is this a sign I should re-pot the plant? I don't want to do it so early after buying it but I really don't want the roots getting into the humidity tray.
    Secondly, watering. Should I water this as normal i.e. submerge it until the bubbles stop? Or should I water it from above? I'm reading conflicting guides online.
    Finally, feeding. Anyone got any tips on a good bonsai food?
    Cheers.

Advertisement