Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get vanilla sugar?

Options
  • 28-08-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hello, I am looking at a recipe for rice pudding and vanilla sugar is in it, oes anyone know where to get it, i tried dunnes and tesco without any luck :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

To make vanilla sugar you just have to put one or two vanilla pods in a jar full of sugar and use as needed.
    You can scoop out the pods first and use them in something else.

Or instead of vanilla sugar you can just use normal sugar with the addition of vanilla pods (expensive) , or vanilla extract (also expensive) or vanilla essence (cheap but not as good).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

For rice pudding, you can simply infuse the vanilla flavour from a pod into the milk by scraping out the seeds, and warming them, plus the pod, in the milk, then cover and cool for 1hr or overnight (for a more intense flavour.) Then simply take the de-seeded pod out once it's done its work, dry it thoroughly, and stick it in a bag of sugar. After about a week you'll have vanilla sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

Hey , thanks for the replys, i saw it in tesco in a jar for 5 euro but am gonna make my own with vanilla pods instead will work out a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chillyvanilly

You should be able to find it in any polish shop, just ask for it.
    Or you can usually find it in tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 123abcde

Tesco rathmines have it in their herb section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

To make vanilla sugar you just have to put one or two vanilla pods in a jar full of sugar and use as needed.
    You can scoop out the pods first and use them in something else.

Or instead of vanilla sugar you can just use normal sugar with the addition of vanilla pods (expensive) , or vanilla extract (also expensive) or vanilla essence (cheap but not as good).

...and don't throw the pods away when the sugar is used up - just refill the jar with more sugar, the vanilla pods will work their magic for many refills.

Advertisement