Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Green-closed to bikes?

• 28-08-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Ive been out of the country for the last 2 months but will be home shortly and back on the bike. Whats the story with College Green- is it literally buses and taxis only? Or are bikes exempt? And what are the hours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

yep - closed 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm mon to fri. For the first few weeks the cops were busy pulling in people that ignored the ban - not sure how there are at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

reece wrote: »
    yep - closed 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm mon to fri. For the first few weeks the cops were busy pulling in people that ignored the ban - not sure how there are at the moment

it's a long way to go without getting nabbed. i.e. yes you can enter the "bus-lane" easily but you have to go around the bend and up nassau st/dame street where to be honest you will stick out like a sore thumb while the initial chances of getting "caught" entering the prohibited zone is small, the overall chances of being stopped are proportionally bigger if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Gees thats crap that they closed it to bikes, which are part of a traffic solution IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The area is opened at times during the day. Lunchtime perhaps? It was helpful as getting Blessington St/Eccles St etc. is annoying otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Now it's been open a while, anyone know how strict it is? Is it like every other bus lane?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I believe its pretty strict. Although Im sure it will end up being similar to the right turn from George's st to Dame st.

Its causing traffic chaos though for pearse st, north wall quay and amiens street inbound traffic in the evenings as they only have one option for crossing the liffey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

There were 2 gardai there yesterday afternoon on the trinity side stopping anyone who didn't look like they should be there - like van drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

I read yesterday that the bus gate will be reviewed in January, the Dublin retailers are complaining about it, saying it's taking customers & shoppers out of that part of town, especially during late evening shopping.

So we may not have to wait for too long before being able to zoom round College Green again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You are legally allowed dismount your bike and push it the distant if the motor is switched off. I have seen couriers at it. Get enough bikers doing it and it will pi**s them off. !!

It's often open during the day, lunchtime maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

It's often open during the day, lunchtime maybe.

Yep, the operating hours of the bus gate are 7-10am and 4-7pm, Monday to Friday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i asked the garda, and he said no bikes. cranky bikecop :(

gipi wrote: »
    Yep, the operating hours of the bus gate are 7-10am and 4-7pm, Monday to Friday.

What I was saying is that it seemed open once or twice within those times. It's a pile of ****. I try to go through before turning right on to Fleet St, when I have business there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The cops should use their cop-on. Bikes aren't going to cause congestion here, so don't bother pulling us in! (like other bus lanes).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The cops should use their cop-on. Bikes aren't going to cause congestion here, so don't bother pulling us in! (like other bus lanes).

Unfortunately its not the gardai who decided the law on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Correct me if i'm wrong, are'nt taxi's allowed to use it.?..if so i think couriers should be too..just my tuppence worth..:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Well, when i was talking to the garda bike cop, i asked are bikes allowed through, he said "only buses" so i said "only buses and taxis?" and he grunted and wandered along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Is there any serious lobby to have this changed? I know the idea is up for review on the traders' behalf before christmas, it's causing an unecessary burden on motorcyclists for no good reason, all they would need to do is alter the LED signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Push_It.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Fabritzo wrote: »
    Push_It.jpg

Brilliant! Wonder if that works with red lights :D

Just reminds me of something Mr. Bean would do

• Advertisement
Advertisement