Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXP / Home Wireless Network - 'Aquiring Network Address' error

Options
  • 28-08-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a home broadband connection, hooked up to my SMC wireless router. My PC connects perfectly when I am 'hard wired' using a long network cable from the wireless router to the PC, but as soon as I try to go 'wireless' I receive the error message 'Aquiring Network Address' on the little wireless icon in the system tray and never manage a connection.

The weird thing is i have 'excellent' signal strength and my passkey / password is accepted. Its the same issue regardless of whether I use my SMC wireless card or a belkin wireless usb adapter i borrowed to see if it made a difference.

I'm on XP and have the same issue whether I use the XP Connection utility or the SMC or Belkin - Help please, I'm sick of the cable running down the stairs!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Click (or double click) on the wireless icon to open the "general" tab. Then "properties" then "general" tab and scroll down to "Internet protocol (tcp/ip)".
    Check "obtain an Ip address automaticly" and "obtain a DNS server automaticly".

If its not this, then get on here.

Excuse the spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Cheers Fuzzy - tried that but those settings were already in place. Did you mean to include a hyperlink?

Also forgot to mention that other wifi devices (such as my archos) can connect perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Ended up calling Belkin technical support on this one - just in case it happens to you.... my firewall was blocking the router when i was wireless. Just allowed the connection and everything is working super!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Good you got it sorted.:)

It's a bit unusual for firewall to block a wireless connection, but there you go........

Advertisement