Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 20 Irish songs so far....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Personal favourites:

The Radiators - Television Screen
    The Radiators- Faithful Departed
    Moving Hearts- No Time For Love
    Moving Hearts- Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Russian Rouellete
    The Dubliners- Easy And Slow
    The Dubliners- Free The People
    The Dubliners- Captains And The Kings
    Stiff Little Fingers- Barbed Wire Love
    The Undertones- Its Going To Happen
    The Undertones- Teenage Kicks
    Luka Bloom/Christy Moore- City Of Chicago
    Damien Dempsey- Dublin Town

The Blades - Downmarket
    The Divine Comedy - Sunrise
    When we were young-Whipping Boy
    Ghost of a chance-The Blades

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

..... Cornwall is the 33rd county?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Kold wrote: »
    ..... Cornwall is the 33rd county?

He was born in limerick..

That makes him Irish in my book!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

not a U2 song in the bunch :-)

U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

not a U2 song in the bunch :-)

U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
    My perfect cousin- The Undertones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Morgans

Lucy - The Divine Comedy
    Colours - The Frank and Walters (although there could be many from The F&W - City Lights another)
    Im hardly ever wrong - The Would bes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

Has anybody mentioned one of THE best Irish songs ever! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUXLxop4vg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Morgans wrote: »
    Colours - The Frank and Walters (although there could be many from The F&W - City Lights another)

I'd go with Tony Cochrane - Genius Song

I'd go with Tony Cochrane - Genius Song
    Stars of Heaven-28 (Great live band in their day)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGcfNWEtaHo&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

lordgoat wrote: »
    Technically Bubs is 100% right. They are form Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is a part of Britain. This is a fact.

Do not call someone a troll again or you will be banned.
    Sorry to drag this up again, but it's actually the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain. Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.

Northern Irish is the correct term, not British. So calling bands from the North Irish is technically correct.

• Advertisement

pinksoir wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this up again, but it's actually the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain. Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.

Northern Irish is the correct term, not British. So calling bands from the North Irish is technically correct.
    Sorry mate. thats all been sorted. water under the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

lordgoat wrote: »
    Technically Bubs is 100% right. They are form Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is a part of Britain. This is a fact.

Do not call someone a troll again or you will be banned.

northern irish bands not irish? My god, i think ive heard it all now. politics forum is thataways ..... or will i get banned for daring to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

He was born in limerick..

That makes him Irish in my book!
    To Welsh parents and he considers himself Cornish so that makes him Cornish in my book..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pesy

Luke Kelly - Song for Ireland

listen to the soul in this mans voice...his last song before passed on...a national treasure!

RIP Luke.

pesy wrote: »
    Luke Kelly - Song for Ireland

listen to the soul in this mans voice...his last song before passed on...a national treasure!

RIP Luke.
    Yes like that song a lot. Luke Kelly lives on but his spirit lives on. Damien Dempsey for me a terrific singer. Any one who has not seen him live do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Out of the Irish bands I liked / Loved, any of these would be considered

Theraphy?: No where, Screamanger, Stop this your killing me

Saw Doctors: To win just once, N17, What a day, Why do i always want you,thats what she said last night

Whipping Boy: we don't need nobody else

The Frames: revelation, rent day blues, pavement tune

Cranberries: salvation, linger

Ash: Uncle Pat, Jesus says, kung fu

Undertones: Jimmy Jimmy, My Perfect Cousin

Stiff Little Finger: Alternative Ulster, Suspect Device, Bloody Sunday

shane mcgown / sinead o'connor - haunted

the walls - birght and shinning sun

Then of course there are Whiskey in the Jar by Thin Lizzy and Dirty old Town. And Im sure everyone knows the words to the latter at this stage

Kold wrote: »
    To Welsh parents and he considers himself Cornish so that makes him Cornish in my book..

Well if we're all gonna fall out over whether the North is Irish or not, why fall out over this. Fact is, he was born in Ireland.. which is more than we can say about two members of U2.. but I kinda agree, he doesn't exactly wear his irishness on his sleeve, then again, do MBV?

Anywho, it's a minor detail as there are plenty of bonafide great Irish tracks out there (mostly from A House)..

Sack - Tag

Can't believe I forgot this one

Well if we're all gonna fall out over whether the North is Irish or not, why fall out over this. Fact is, he was born in Ireland.. which is more than we can say about two members of U2.. but I kinda agree, he doesn't exactly wear his irishness on his sleeve, then again, do MBV?

Anywho, it's a minor detail as there are plenty of bonafide great Irish tracks out there (mostly from A House)..

Sack - Tag

Can't believe I forgot this one

Very good video and song that. Dollyer a great spot. Think a lot of "Once" was shot in the same location.

Very good video and song that. Dollyer a great spot. Think a lot of "Once" was shot in the same location.

Yeah, I've always been suspicious of Coldplays 'Yellow' when I hear the chord change wall of sound bit in the last minute.. Great song for a wedding too!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've always been suspicious of Coldplays 'Yellow' when I hear the chord change wall of sound bit in the last minute.. Great song for a wedding too!
    Yeah funny you say that. Saw someone in a wedding gown on Bull wall bridge the other day.
    Where is a singer from your video from anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Bubs101 wrote: »
    How is it trolling. Unless a band from the North identifies themselves as Irish then they are British. Surprised nobody has claimed Snow Patrol yet

that would be because they are dung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Then of course there are Whiskey in the Jar by Thin Lizzy and Dirty old Town. And Im sure everyone knows the words to the latter at this stage

Please do not disrespect the great Luke Kelly like that

aDeener wrote: »
    Please do not disrespect the great Luke Kelly like that
    Luke Kelly was legend. But Thin Lizzy did a great version of Whiskey in the Jar. And like wise the pogues with Dirty old town.

Yeah funny you say that. Saw someone in a wedding gown on Bull wall bridge the other day.
    Where is a singer from your video from anyway?

Dunno actually, well, he's a Dub anyway, met the band when they were on tour with Morrissey a few years back. Another for the 'should of been huge' thread, which doesn't exist, but might after this..

Dunno actually, well, he's a Dub anyway, met the band when they were on tour with Morrissey a few years back. Another for the 'should of been huge' thread, which doesn't exist, but might after this..
    Yes there were a lot of irish bands that were brill that should have made it. Stars of Heaven, A House, Something Happens, Radiators from Space and of course the Blades. And of course you couldn't leave out Fatima Mansions and Microdisney. Still nice to hear Dave Couse from a House on the radio every sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Haven't seen any Christy mentioned so far...

Yes there were a lot of irish bands that were brill that should have made it. Stars of Heaven, A House, Something Happens, Radiators from Space and of course the Blades. And of course you couldn't leave out Fatima Mansions and Microdisney. Still nice to hear Dave Couse from a House on the radio every sunday.

Sure is, A House were probably the biggest loss of all mentioned, still 5 studio albums and an obscene amount of B-Sides and Singles is a lot more than most 'failed bands' achieve. Cannot believe they had some many records stall just outside the UK top 40.. Other than 'Here Come the Good Times', which hit 37 in the UK, had Endless Art of crept the few places up from where it peaked, 42 (I think), they would have gone on to have a lot more hits... Indeed, I believe BBC playlisted the entire I Am The Greatest album and the band had to request they de-list it, as they could not get the record into the shops on time..

Anywho, Couse is right now giving away a very impressive 100 albums on Today FM at this very second!

Sure is, A House were probably the biggest loss of all mentioned, still 5 studio albums and an obscene amount of B-Sides and Singles is a lot more than most 'failed bands' achieve. Cannot believe they had some many records stall just outside the UK top 40.. Other than 'Here Come the Good Times', which hit 37 in the UK, had Endless Art of crept the few places up from where it peaked, 42 (I think), they would have gone on to have a lot more hits... Indeed, I believe BBC playlisted the entire I Am The Greatest album and the band had to request they de-list it, as they could not get the record into the shops on time..

Anywho, Couse is right now giving away a very impressive 100 albums on Today FM at this very second!
    Best line ever by Couse. Johann Strauss, Richard Strauss, Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse. Thats pure genius. As was the song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

"like clockwork" by the boomtown rats should be up there....a house? wilt? sack? ...gimme a break lol

Advertisement