Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment Cards

• 29-08-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

So basically I'm looking for advice. Its kind of a bargain request.

I'm looking to get a payment card. The options I have are getting a laser card, a credit card or a 3v card. I want to be able to make online purchases.

I don't need credit in the since I wont purchase things I don't already have the money for.

The questions I have are:

Is it cheaper to use a 3v card than a credit card?

Is it safer to use a 3v card than a credit card?

What are the other reasons for using 3v?

Do most websites in ireland and abroad accept laser cards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

cronos wrote: »
    So basically I'm looking for advice. Its kind of a bargain request.

I'm looking to get a payment card. The options I have are getting a laser card, a credit card or a 3v card. I want to be able to make online purchases.

I don't need credit in the since I wont purchase things I don't already have the money for.

The questions I have are:

Is it cheaper to use a 3v card than a credit card?

Is it safer to use a 3v card than a credit card?

What are the other reasons for using 3v?

Do most websites in ireland and abroad accept laser cards?

If you don't require credit I would suggest you run with Prepaid MasterCard from Payzone Worldwide Money It's exactly like a real Mastercard but without the credit. It's acceptable everywhere a real Mastercard is & you can use it in any ATM to withdraw any remaining monies you have left on it.

It's very safe in so far as you could only get stung for the prepaid amount you have on it & that's unlikely really.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You're as well just getting a credit card and just pay it off as you spend with online banking.

Apart from the €30 government fee every april, most credit cards wont cost you anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Do you pay stamp duty for the 3V cards. They seem to have an auful lot of charges for loading money on to the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Afaics you have to 'buy' the 3v vouchers, which might be a hassle. As said above, if you have the necessary credit rating (not a given:)) any cc with a payoff at the end of the month is free, except for the government gouging tax, and painless (well sort of :)) All you need to do is to fill in the bit on the application saying you want to pay each month.

Otoh if your startig off on the buying business it may be a problem getting a cc. A laser, assuming you have a bank account and money in it is a good alternative, you are in charge.

Bye, Barry

Advertisement