Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-drinkers are 'more depressed, lack social skills'

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

So to conclude, it's better to drink alcohol in moderation than drinking excessively or not drinking at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well, for one's health, drinking in moderation is certainly better than drinking excessively (although, in my opinion, some occasions call for a bender moreso than just a reasonable few drinks - rarely though).

Drinking in moderation better than not drinking at all? Ah well that's subjective - it all boils down to what's best for the individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

jape wrote: »
    So to conclude, it's better to drink alcohol in moderation than drinking excessively or not drinking at all.
    An exessive drinker will just drink heavy regardless of who's company he/she is with and might not even be aware of who they are drinking with at the time .....or next day ie, severe memory loss goes with severe drinking.

But we have all being there with the massive hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    What you have described above basically screams to me Fun Bobby.

About me? My writing style may be dry, but you can never judge a person's "fun-ness" from their message board postings!

When I said "tend to be more/less interesting", I was talking exclusively about when they're sober. A person's true personality can't be properly discerned unless they're sober, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I'm a freakin' alcoholic, and I gotta tell ya, I'm an asshole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't think non-drinkers lack social skills and even if they did, it's only because they are being alienated by those who do drink. I swear that Irish people feel threatened by non-drinkers. I remember one night I wasn't drinking and everything was going fine until my mate came back from the bar and agressively shoved a drink into my hand and said "It's the ****ing weekend, get that into you." I had another mate who gave up drink for lent a few years back, and he got nothing but hostility on nights out. Lacking social skills my ass, more like being abused for not conforming to Ireland's drink culture.

England, Scotland and Wales have a similar drink culture to us. It's not an indigenous problem/occurrence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    England, Scotland and Wales have a similar drink culture to us. It's not an indigenous problem/occurrence

No it just means we have an English culture. As do they. :P

In fairness, some of the Scandinavian and Germanic countries can put it away. too.

Our licensing laws just exacerbate the problem here, unlike those countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

I'm just allergic to alcohol. I had to cough up my first glass of wine last year because I found it so horrible. Alcohol has never agreed with me. I seem to have a long list of food intolerances (including salads, mayonnaise and especially tomatoes and fish), and I think this issue is partly genetic. Some people are also shy, and ironically that may make them depressed because shy people can be lonely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My mother and her sisters didn't drink, but they'd happily go out and have that craic with others that did. On a Saturday night, they would go out to a local where traditional music was played, mum would play the accordeon, dance all night and wouldn't be home until 4 in the morning. My brothers were disgusted that their mother was often home later than them on a Saturday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Cianos wrote: »
    Ah, the free thinking, peer-pressured youth, how amazing it'd be to be so cool and enlightened.

Anyone who bows to peer pressure isn't thinking freely.

You have to want to drink underage. It's the desire to experiment and disregard for rules (following your own morals instead) that make you a free-thinking person.
    Teenage rebellion is imo a very important part of growing up and becoming an independant person.

Someone who gets pressured into drinking is doing it for the wrong reasons. They are no better than those who waited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Absolutely ridicolous. I know two guys who are teetollers and they are some of the funniest, brightest and most successful people I know....well, one was until he fecked up with property.

So, according to this survey, I'm going to follow it's logic here, is that a pure alcoholic who is blind drunk everyday, is a happier, more social person, because he drinks more than a teetoller?

Yeah right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd be willing to bet though, that the majority (and I emphasise not all) of teenagers who do stuff they're not "supposed" to do - drinking, smoking, drugs, underage sex - are doing so to fit in (me included).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Not drinking as a teenager is more rebellious than drinking as a teenager. :pac:

My not drinking is clearly more X-TREME!!! now that I'm 18. Yep, I'm such a rebel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

vinylmesh wrote: »
    For me, drinking will never be anything like it was when i was 16/17. It was the whole forbidden fruit factor that made it so enjoyable. People who were impervious to this growing up, would strike me as being quite square and rule-abiding (at the detriment of free-thought).

Hum, drinking in Ireland has to be the number one conformist activity surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

In saying that, this report reads more to me "People who drink tend to think they're above those who don't, and try to look down on and exclude such people as much as possible", rather than "non-drinkers r weird lulz"

Although I can honestly say, I'd much rather be known as the guy who's a boring, deppressive git, than the guy who pukes all over himself at the weekend and thinks he's cool as fcuk because of it.

Accusing drinkers of looking down on non-drinkers, and then looking down on drinkers yourself in the very next sentence. Excellent work, old chap! I bet hardly anyone noticed!

Advertisement