Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Book Legally Binding.

Options
  • 29-08-2009 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I recently placed a deposit of €200 on an apartment in dublin.
    After doing so, the landlord asked me to pop across to easons and get a rent book, which we then filled in (most of the details).
    Since then, issues have arose which means I will no longer be able to rent the apartment.
    I rang the landlord today and discussed this with him.
    His reply was, " I better find somebody to take it soon ".

Now, I am not bothered about the €200 deposit. If I get stung for that i wont be too disappointed.
    But what worries me is his reply above. Am I legally obliged to find new tenants for the property after simply putting my name in a rent book?
    I did not sign a lease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if you didnt sign a lease your not responsible for anything

yoou can wave your deposit goodbye though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MattTheJap

Well thats a relief to hear.
    Im going to ring him tomorrow and tell him to shove that rent book up his hole.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It could possibly be argued that signing the rentbook, constitutes a legally binding agreement. Were he to proceed in this manner- you would have to serve notice in a regular manner- which is 28 days for a tenancy of less than 6 months.

Instead of going in all guns blazing- ring Threshold, and confirm exactly what the situation is- once you have signed the rent book........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

MattTheJap wrote: »
    Well thats a relief to hear.
    Im going to ring him tomorrow and tell him to shove that rent book up his hole.

Does the rent book have any text, some of them have terms & conditions prepinted on them, you mentioned that you "filled in (most of the details)."

Was one of these "details" a mininum term ?

Gerard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do you have the rent book or does the landlord? If so you could "lose" it then it's your word against his ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

smccarrick wrote: »
    It could possibly be argued that signing the rentbook, constitutes a legally binding agreement. Were he to proceed in this manner- you would have to serve notice in a regular manner- which is 28 days for a tenancy of less than 6 months.

Instead of going in all guns blazing- ring Threshold, and confirm exactly what the situation is- once you have signed the rent book........

yes but as he has given 1 months deposit and hasnt moved in that would cover the 28 day notice period so thats really a non issue

Advertisement