Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Space Shuttle Visible tonight Saturday 5am

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Calibos wrote: »
    Doh! Sorry, I get ya now mate. Somehow I read your post as, "I saw something at midnight and luckily I checked boards and found out it was the shuttle", so I'm thinkin' "No mate, it hasn't even launched yet!!"

You actually meant you logged onto boards to see did anyone else see what you saw at 12, only for you to luckily read this thread about the shuttle launch.

Yup! Lookin forward to this now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

We are GO for Launch! T minus 10 minutes.

Its mad that we get to see it fly over us only 18 minutes after it took off in Florida. How long is a comercial airline flight from here to the bahamas!! 7 hours?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

We are GO for Launch! T minus 10 minutes.

Its mad that we get to see it fly over us only 18 minutes after it took off in Florida. How long is a comercial airline flight from here to the bahamas!! 7 hours?? :D

500mph verses 17000 mph :p

4 mins before takeoff!

mattfender wrote: »
    Yup! Lookin forward to this now!

Did you see the one in July?

You are in for a treat. I mean....its still just 2 lights in the sky, but its two very bright lights in the sky, very close together, one white and one orange and racing across our sky much faster than the usual satellite or International space station (same real speed but much lower altitude means it goes across much faster)

I like to picture the 7 astronauts strapped in in their seats with Bat outta Hell playing in the background :D

You should watch the launch on the NasaTV link I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

cool i just came across this thread!! talk about good timing cheers :D

Did you see the one in July?

You are in for a treat. I mean....its still just 2 lights in the sky, but its two very bright lights in the sky, very close together, one white and one orange and racing across our sky much faster than the usual satellite or International space station (same real speed but much lower altitude means it goes across much faster)

I like to picture the 7 astronauts strapped in in their seats with Bat outta Hell playing in the background :D

You should watch the launch on the NasaTV link I posted.

I saw it in July yeah. Was awesome

T-Minus 50 seconds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Just launched this second!

• Advertisement

GOGOGO Discovery!! :D

so is it def safe not to go outside till 10 past?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

is it there yet?

I'm heading out now at 5.13. Should be visible in west about 5.18/5.19am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I seen it, seriously cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

wow, delighted I didn't miss that, awesome view here in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I was sure i missed it! then i saw it in like the worst place to see it.

But question... why was it in 2!!?

cloudly as ****e in the west plus nearly broke my neck tripping over a flower pot!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I took the bearing from my house looking at the tower light at the airport and looked west of that and saw......nothing!

I had another site that tracked it across the sky but cant find it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nats070

Omg i seen it that was mad so cool tho looking at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Holopimp

I saw it from Phibsborough and it was cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

damn... black clouds over Donegal... although I could have sworn I heard it.... waiting up all night for nowt :mad: It was crystal clear an hour ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I took the bearing from my house looking at the tower light at the airport and looked west of that and saw......nothing!

I had another site that tracked it across the sky but cant find it now.

You had to look more south than west, i was very lucky to see it, one had to look south not west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Just passed by here in southern France, just before dawn here but spectacular nonetheless, thanks to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 signal terror

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen.I feel so exited right now.Didnt think it'd be going anywhere near that fast:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Excellent, thanks for the info. That was cool!

That was cool. Went up to park up road to watch it cos it was dark. Didnt see it till it was halfway in sky:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Just seen this post about 5am, was pretty lucky :D
    Didn't really have much of an idea what to look for so nearly thought a plane flying by was it :pac:
    I was kind of surprised by how far away the two lights were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Got a quick 20 second view of it from Blanchardstown,

Looking out my attic window thinking it was an abnormally large and quiet aeroplane untill I heard my dad in the garden shouting "S**t did you see that??"

Well worth staying up for :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

That was really cool, was looking west and couldn't see a thing at first, then when I thought it was too late I spotted it! Well worth seeing.

Got to see it but not all of it. Why??? Because a ***king Drunk starts shouting, "Oi, What are you lads doin in that Garden!!" which started the ***king dogs barking, FFS :D

Only saw the second half and by then it was behing wispy cloud. Still when it got to a gap in the haaze it got uber bright. Nice sharp bluey light of the shuttle and reddish light of the jettisoned Orange fuel tank.

Could the drunk not have picked any other 2 minute window to walk past our gaff!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Missed it in July and missed it again! Well thats just fcuking lovely! For a private pilot, I cant navigate for ****! Well pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

yippeee seen it as i slurped a big hot cup of tea... wasnt as bright as last one tho (?)... anyway, im feckin goin back to sleep, i needs me beauty sleep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

One of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. It appeared in the north west here and appeared to fly east. Wasn't as bright as i thought it would be but in a dark sky would probably be more spectacular.

sam_mom1 wrote: »
    yippeee seen it as i slurped a big hot cup of tea... wasnt as bright as last one tho (?)... anyway, im feckin goin back to sleep, i needs me beauty sleep!!

Went to park with a cuppa :pac:

Yeah, deffo wasn't as bright as the last one. Appeared later and thus higher in the sky too because it was coming out of the earths shadow into the dawn sunlight this time whereas the last one at dusk had it in the sunset and thus lit up as soon as it cleared our horizon before disappearing into the earths shadow high in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Saw it from a park in London hoping I wouldn't get mugged. It moved so fast but it was more obvious that what I expected. I got a couple of photos but had messed up the settings on my camera :mad:

Coming from the west

Heading east

blah wrote: »
    Saw it from a park in London hoping I wouldn't get mugged. It moved so fast but it was more obvious that what I expected. I got a couple of photos but had messed up the settings on my camera :mad:

Coming from the west

Heading east

Sure. Theres motion blur in the first one but its not like one could capture the shape anyway so the blur doesn't matter. Its the colour contrast between the White Shuttle and the Orange fuel tank so close that is the really interesting part of the sight anyway and you have captured that beautifully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

standing on the edge of the MI, dunleer at 5.16, right on time. saw a plane before that which nearly fooled me. then ,there she was.

thanks for the info.

very bright star in the east, what was that?,anyone

Regards,Rugbyman

rugbyman wrote: »
    standing on the edge of the MI, dunleer at 5.16, right on time. saw a plane before that which nearly fooled me. then ,there she was.

thanks for the info.

very bright star in the east, what was that?,anyone

Regards,Rugbyman

My mate was tellin me that was the north star ha. we got mad confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

blah wrote: »

Coming from the west

Heading east

Hi blah,Great pics!much appreciated:)

The thing is Your post is the sort of thing i Like boards.ie for.

sure on a dedicated space site we might find non blurry pictures(it was so fast,dont know how you snapped it at all:confused:)but foto,s taken by Ireland based people makes yours extra special,as you took them as the Orbiter/tank was over us,not like we used to get,always foto,s taken of space events by a photographar in another country.

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Well fuuck!!!!

Here I am, couldn't sleep and didnt see this thread till now.

Fuuck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lrdisco

blah

Well done, nice photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I missed it due to sleep and apathy.

First time around was cool though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Damn! Didn't see this thread till now.

Still, saw it last month and it was awesome.

Love that shit.

lrdisco wrote: »
    blah

Well done, nice photos.
    thanks lads

next time I'll get it right :-)

Sts-129 is November 12th 21:00, so maybe we'll get a chance

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bugger. I should have stayed up for this.

Advertisement