Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comparative Study Choice

• 29-08-2009 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi. Looking for some advice on choosing two texts/films for the CompStud section of course for LC ordinary 2010. In new school where popular choice seems to be The Truman Show. Could someone tell me what could accompany this so that ordinary level students and myself could tackle it with relative ease? (And why) I'm a little lost as I haven't read/taught many of the choices. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Your question is very vague. Have you looked at the 2010 list and narrowed down to the ones that are short/the texts you're familiar with?

There are roughly 30 options here, you could be better off starting with your theme e.g. escape, love, relationships, deception, choices and then picking one.

Lies of Silence is handy and easy to read with a plot that is interesting enough to motivate even the half-asleep ones (escape, decisions, deception, relationship, love). Sive is also fairly short, plenty of themes - escape, love, decisions....The Road to Memphis is an old favourite, The Playboy of the Western World and The Lonesome West are on too.

At OL, it's probably not best to saddle them with a long, complicated novel. What's your single text? You'd need to pick that first.

My class are doing Lies of Silence for the single text and Dancing at Lughnasa and Truman Show for the comparative.

Does the English Dept not decide amongst themselves what the texts are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

AT OL can they do just 2 texts for the comparative? As in One single text and then a comparative of 2 others?

elle wrote: »
    AT OL can they do just 2 texts for the comparative? As in One single text and then a comparative of 2 others?

Yes, they aren't asked to compare more than two. It can't be two films, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Yes, they can at OL

to be honest, they can almost get away with this at HL too, as it is rare that the students are asked to compare three texts, however a good English teacher will have his/her students prepared for all possibilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Phew have just taken on a LC class , my first year out of the dip, have them sorted for 3 but was worrying that I had to do a 4th as they are weak enough - - that's perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

Cover yourself and do a third text that is short or just touch on a third text briefly if you feel a third text is too much for the class.

Yes, up until now they've only asked for two texts in the exam but if you get an English inspection/WSE you or the class will be asked about their third text....the examiners have an issue with this as it is a course requirement to do three texts and it wouldn't surprise me if they start suddenly asking about the third text in June! Would not like to be the teacher 'who didn't cover the course' if that happens......They'll have a field day in the papers too!

There really is no need to cover the third text. They are only asked for two texts and if this were to change, it would be gradual, there would still be an exam question that would allow the students to answer on two. The worst possible scenario is that the students would be asked on all three texts in all four questions and would lose a possible 20 marks or so ex. 400.

At Higher Level, students are not penalised for only answering on two texts, the SEC are not going to come down heavily on Ordinary Level students for the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Circular Letter 0003/2009

To: Management Authorities of Second Level Schools

Prescribed Material for English in the

Leaving Certificate Examination in 2011

1. The Department of Education and Science wishes to inform the management authorities of second level schools that the prescribed material for English in the Leaving Certificate Examination in 2011 is as indicated on the attached list.

2. Please bring this circular and the attached list to the notice of the teachers concerned.

[......]
    As the syllabus indicates, students are required to study from this list:

1. One text on its own from the following texts: -

[......]

2. Three other texts in a comparative manner, according to the comparative modes prescribed for this course.

· Any texts from the list of texts prescribed for comparative study, other than the one already chosen for study on its own, may be selected for the comparative study. Texts chosen must be from the prescribed list for the current year.

· At Higher Level and at Ordinary Level, a film may be studied as one of the three texts in a comparative study.

I'm well aware of what the syllabus says, I'm also well aware of what comes up on the exam paper, having marked at both levels. In every subject, there is room for manoeuvre, not every section of the syllabus gets asked.

I've taught classes where many of the students don't have English as a first language. One or two texts is difficult enough for them to handle, never mind 4. If I can make it easier on them, I do. At the end of the day, the comparative is 70 marks out of 400 and lots of teachers end up spending a disproportionate amount of time teaching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Theixite

Hi - I've been reading the messages with great interest - My son is studying some subjects in the Leaving as an External candidate for the June 2010 exam under my guidance, so now if you don't mind, I will need your own guidance as we live in France!
    As regards the English paper, Ordinary Level: For the comparative questions, we had selected The Truman Show (film that he has already seen) and I had suggested Bel Canto for him to read.
    I need to know if one should make sure that the two or three texts chosen from the list have something in common in order to be able to tackle the questions on the paper. I did see the film (a while ago, I must say) and I'm currently reading Bel Canto but I don't think that these two texts are ideally suited to be chosen together for these comparative mode questions.
    Should we therefore look for a replacement text instead of Bel Canto? I have the book "The bookseller of Kabul". I also see that one of you have chosen Dancing at Lughnasa to be studied along with the film The Truman Show. Maybe he should go for that play instead of the novel Bel Canto.
    I will really appreciate your help, thank you in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

He should make it easy for himself and choose texts that have some similarities. I find that a lot of students find is easier to talk about the similarities rather than the differences and really there is the expectation that the texts have something in common.

janeybabe wrote: »
    I find that a lot of students find is easier to talk about the similarities rather than the differences and really there is the expectation that the texts have something in common.

They do find it easier, but it can lead to limited answers. Most students will manage to see the differences between an American Dream tv set and life in Afghanistan.

Another thing you can do to make things easier is only discuss two of the modes (i.e. two out of Hero/Theme/Social Setting) as only two come up on the paper.

The texts you are referring to would both work. In Bel Canto & Truman Show, you have characters who are trapped (Hero) in a limited world (social setting). You could have Escape as your theme, which would allow you to use the notes for Hero and SS in a different way. Comparing the social settings of TTS and The Bookseller of Kabul could also be interesting (role of women, rules of society, role of money, religion/God/control).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

deemark wrote: »
    They do find it easier, but it can lead to limited answers.

Of course but if they discuss both the similarities and the differences then they are not limited at all. A balance of both between the texts is good.

janeybabe wrote: »
    Of course but if they discuss both the similarities and the differences then they are not limited at all. A balance of both between the texts is good.

Oh, I have you now! Sorry, I thought you were suggesting texts that were really similar, with no differences. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pol o gallachoi

Hi,
    Does anyone have any ideas regarding interesting, modern, plays for Junior Cert English? 'The Field' is all I've come across so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Theixite

Thank you so much for answering. Things are clearer now! I'll probably be back on this forum soon again! Thanks a lot again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi,
    Does anyone have any ideas regarding interesting, modern, plays for Junior Cert English? 'The Field' is all I've come across so far.
    I'm not an English teacher, but our kids seem to enjoy 'Our Day Out' by Willy Russell.

Advertisement