Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Certs

Options
  • 29-08-2009 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Does anybody know what certs are in demand right now. What direction is the IT industry heading. What certs will be in demand for 2010?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

I would say the high level Cisco stuff will always be in demand and in the future virtualization will really take off ie: Citrix CCEA CCIA or VMware

The likes of the MCSE and MCSA will always be regarded as entry level now due to the amount of paper MCSE's (still worth having in my opinion though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Are you working in IT yet? What area?

Study for certs that are related to the area you currently work in and the area your most interested in and want to be. That's what will benefit most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Gaz wrote: »
    The likes of the MCSE and MCSA will always be regarded as entry level now due to the amount of paper MCSE's (still worth having in my opinion though)

Which is why the MCSA/E Qualification doesn't exist for Server 2008...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Also because engineer has protected connatations in some countries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would shoot for VMware and some sort of SAN certs if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Virtualisation certs (VMWare, Hyper-V, App-V) along with SAN such as Brockade, the upcoming MCITP in SharePoint would also be good.

If you are a dev, the .NET MCPD certs on 3.5/4.0 and SharePoint 2010. Also Zend PHP,

MCTS SQL08 will also be handy.

CCIE will still be highly sought after as will MCM/MCA but they are not quick exams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Ginger wrote: »
    MCM/MCA but they are not quick exams!

or cheap...

The mandatory training for an MCA (including the MCM prerequisite) is 8 weeks in Redmond and costs over $40k.

Advertisement