Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatso Van in Limerick?

Options
  • 29-08-2009 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

attachment.php?attachmentid=83718&d=1246055565

attachment.php?attachmentid=83717&d=1246055500

Saw this earlier and had not been aware that we had one operational in the area.

Just wondering if anyone has spotted this around Limerick City and Suburbs?

I'd be curious to find out if its in regular use and where in the City/County etc.

- I wonder if we are on the way to becoming more like the UK where there's more cameras than cars!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I hope he doesn't get done for blocking the bus lane. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

gatso van?? whats that??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hagar wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't get done for blocking the bus lane. :pac:

Tis a parking space for bus's actually...... :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This is the back of Henry St Garda station and that Coach parking(not public bus) is always full of Garda Vehicles.

I must keep my eye out for this but this is not finished.

It first needs its Garda logo's and black/yellow chevron decals put on the van otherwise they cannot use it AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

fryup wrote: »
    gatso van?? whats that??

Its a van with speed detection and camera equipment on board - designed to catch out drivers by being unremarkable in appearance/less obvious than a Garda in a high vis jacket standing under a bridge.

- You'll usually only be aware you've been caught when you get a letter with a nice pic of your car and asking for a large sum of money.

Opponents to systems such as this argue that they are a money making vehicle and say that speed reduction measures should be obvious and act as a deterrent rather than a sneaky consequence.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Are you sure it's a Garda van? Looks like an insurance disc in the windscreen in pic1. Garda vehicles don't display insurance discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Cheers for the heads up ill be wary of white vans parked up on the roads around limerick!
    As far as im aware the van can be completely bare of any garda markings bit of a joke realy if their real aim is to slow people down they would be fully visible!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

You found my photo's Raiser,
    Berty as far as I know none of the 6 or 8 Gatso vans in use are in fact marked, I have seen them dotted all over the country for the past few months.
    Also have a look at the front grill either side of the Ford badge, you can see the strobes found on other Garda cars
    I have seen it on the Dock road a few times at 1 in the morning around Castletroy, just past Coonagh roundabout on the dual carriageway,on the Condell road.
    I also heard it being used just at the bottom of Rutland street near the old Munster rugby store.
    The only thing you can do to not worry about it is stay within the limit.
    I dont really like the idea of these vans as if you are unaware that the van caught you speeding all you get is a letter in the post, at least if you are stopped by a Garda with the speed gun you can at least talk to him and state your reasons with a possibility of getting off and you would also take more from that expierience than a letter in the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I know that this method is sneaky but it is a deterent. Now that we're aware that these unmarked vans are around, we should be watching our speeds, especially in the places listed in the above post.

If you know that these vans are on the road and you still speed, you deserve any fines that you get. After a fine or two, people will slow down. Nobody wants to be forking out cash for speeding tickets every other day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Do penalty points come with the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Melion wrote: »
    Do penalty points come with the fine?

YES..... 2

also if you look at the second pic - you can see the camera in the left window.

My girlfriend was snapped by a Gatso van on the way to Shannon. She got a fine but no points.

My girlfriend was snapped by a Gatso van on the way to Shannon. She got a fine but no points.

Eh when?

Penalty Points have been in quite a few years now,so if she got done for speeding she got 2 points aswell

Last December or January. The letter came with the picture of her licence plate, no mention of points and we havent heard anything about it since.

LicensingQueries@rsa.ie

(with her licence number and address )they can confirm for you

I saw the snaps on the Intarweb - she sure is fine; I got the point.
    jackncoke wrote: »

LicensingQueries@rsa.ie

(with her licence number and address )they can confirm for you

Isn't that kinda like a Burglar calling into a Police Station to ask if he has been caught robbing houses?

I emailed them last week asking if/how many points i had on my licence.

And they replied with the answer,,,I bet they get a kick out of it :pac:

Last December or January. The letter came with the picture of her licence plate, no mention of points and we havent heard anything about it since.

You will get the initial letter in the post telling you that you were caught speeding, fine is 80 euros. If you dont pay within the first 28 days the fine rises. If you dont pay after 56 days expect a court summons.
    If you do pay the fine, you will recieve a letter from the RSA telling you that you have points on your licence

BravoMike wrote: »
    You will get the initial letter in the post telling you that you were caught speeding, fine is 80 euros. If you dont pay within the first 28 days the fine rises. If you dont pay after 56 days expect a court summons.
    If you do pay the fine, you will recieve a letter from the RSA telling you that you have points on your licence

Correct me if im wrong but last December or January is more than 56 days. The fine was payed the day it came through the door and she heard nothing more about it.

• Advertisement

Correct me if im wrong but last December or January is more than 56 days. The fine was payed the day it came through the door and she heard nothing more about it.

When do the points take effect from - the date I committed the offence?

No. If you have committed a driving offence that incurs penalty points you will receive a written notification from the Department of Transport informing you of the fact that the appropriate number of penalty points are being added to your driving licence. This notice will include details of your name, address, date time and location of the driving offence concerned and confirmation of the fact that you either paid the fixed charge for the offence or were convicted in the court of such offence. The notice will also contain a date on which the notice was issued to you. This is the important date as the points will only be added to your licence 28 days after this date.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/penalty-points-for-driving-offences

Here is a picture of the Gatso in use

Gatso%20speed%20camera%203.jpg

By the sounds of it she either got off lucky or they could have forgotton to send out the notification in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Got caught by one of these on the Dock road by the post boxes last December.

How nice it was to receive a lovely picture in the post a few days before Christmas...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I would dearly love to burn all these vans! They serve no purpose only to bring in revenue for the government! A guard with a gun on the road will do a lot more to slow people down!

Do they have to be parked up to be working or can they do it while driving around?

They have to be parked up to be used, as far as I'm aware they are only opperated by one person.

There are not very many white transit going around with windows on the back and many white transits have their company logo's on them.

Advice really is to be wary of white vans parked on the side of a road, or illegaly parked mostly(see other threads in motors) and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Berty wrote: »
    There are not very many white transit going around with windows on the back and many white transits have their company logo's on them.

Advice really is to be wary of white vans parked on the side of a road, or illegaly parked mostly(see other threads in motors) and you should be ok.

Or maybe just obey the speed limits.

Tinytony wrote: »

Yes If you truly with to avoid the speeding fine then stick to the limits.

Of course Im innocent like everybody else who cares to post that comment. I never speed ;)

• Advertisement

Tinytony wrote: »

Ireland 2009AD

Anyone aged 17-22 drives like an inexperienced, know it all wanker - 7 gear shifts away from a tragic funeral.

Anyone older spends their time tail-gating because if you are 6 feet behind the car in front you will get home 2 seconds quicker.

The remainder are on their phones and have had 6 glasses of red wine.

- Not sure where speed limits even comes into the argument ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement