Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatso Van in Limerick?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Isnt there a website where they list the locations of where the gatso vans will be parked? I think some govt agency released them on to the interweb.

One of the spots is meant to be in Annacotty before the turn off to industrial estate near that Sisters/Bro's of Charity place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

alan1990 wrote: »
    I would dearly love to burn all these vans! They serve no purpose only to bring in revenue for the government! A guard with a gun on the road will do a lot more to slow people down!

Well clearly its to bring in revenue but at the end of the day, if your speeding then you cant really complain about how you got caught. So the only reason youd love to burn the vans is so you dont get caught speeding. Not having a go ,just putting it how they would.

As for the guard on the road with a gun, fair enough, he might slow down traffic for a whole minute of a possible 1 hour journey. Its not like people stay slowed down because they saw a guard 20 minutes back.

If the government really really wanted they could probably save hundreds of lives a year with a serious clampdown, cameras everywhere, both obvious and hidden, massive fines for speeding (like 1 or 2k or something),etc. But at the end of the day its another income that they wont be in a rush to get rid of too soon.

All those waste of money dramatic ads with people dying and family members crying at graveyards do nothing to stop speeding because we have it built into is that "itll never happen me". The only thing that will ever stop people is the fear of getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

wylo wrote: »
    Well clearly its to bring in revenue but at the end of the day, if your speeding then you cant really complain about how you got caught. So the only reason youd love to burn the vans is so you dont get caught speeding. Not having a go ,just putting it how they would.

As for the guard on the road with a gun, fair enough, he might slow down traffic for a whole minute of a possible 1 hour journey. Its not like people stay slowed down because they saw a guard 20 minutes back.

If the government really really wanted they could probably save hundreds of lives a year with a serious clampdown, cameras everywhere, both obvious and hidden, massive fines for speeding (like 1 or 2k or something),etc. But at the end of the day its another income that they wont be in a rush to get rid of too soon.

All those waste of money dramatic ads with people dying and family members crying at graveyards do nothing to stop speeding because we have it built into is that "itll never happen me". The only thing that will ever stop people is the fear of getting caught.
    Spot on, every bit of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

trad wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a Garda van? Looks like an insurance disc in the windscreen in pic1. Garda vehicles don't display insurance discs.
    Some Garda vehicles do have decoy insurance disks for undercover work.
    Also the van may be a lease/hire and is insured by the hire/lease company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

these gatso vans have been around for years. I havent' worked in shannon for over 4 years now but when I did, I used to see a Gatso van regularly parked on the dual carraige way in bound towards limerick esp by that "highbury" (spelling) B&B and also at sethrights. About 3 years ago I saw one parked after the vistakon roundabout about 100 meters up thr road in a bus parking space, again inbound to limerick city. I haven't seen one in Limerick area since but hav come across them around the country.
    all white vans with no obvious garda markings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

how come there is no gatsos on country roads where the boy racers do wheelies, and where they time themselves racing over the same routes all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

old boy wrote: »
    how come there is no gatsos on country roads where the boy racers do wheelies, and where they time themselves racing over the same routes all the time.

U taking the piss?
    Do wheelies? you sure you dont mean bmx riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Having a Gatso pointing at a bunch of lads spinning their cars on a country road is not exactly worthwhile unless they manage to spin their cars over 80kph which is highly unlikely.

Also you cannot do speed checks on windy roads for a number of reasons which the AGS will tell you.

1. Would be the difficulty in the equipment being able to calculate your speed as they need to calculate this over a distance.(In the case of tripod cameras, they need to take a laser point from the left side and right side of your car.

2. They will find it hard to pull in to try to catch you.

3 They will find it hard to pull you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

old boy wrote: »

Hopefully its because Gatso vans are manned by at least one Garda and in Limerick we have epic Crime levels with almost zero rates of detection.

- I bet there's a pile of bitterness in Henry St. every morning competing over who is going to sit in a fcuking van all day reading the Star and occasionally performing Highway robbery on the poor taxpayer.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Check www.garda.ie for locations where speed cameras are used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That list is not the true list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

just thought id muster up this thread, anyone else notice the gatso van from Limerick to Shannon on friday? I havent seen someone check speeds on that road for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

They were at the parkway roundabout a 1:30am on Tuesday night...standing behind an unmarked squad car the cheeky buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

good they're setting up in the general castletroy region, all summer long theres been b-tards racing on the main road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 supra 3.0tt

Raiser wrote: »
    Ireland 2009AD

Anyone aged 17-22 drives like an inexperienced, know it all wanker - 7 gear shifts away from a tragic funeral.

Excuse me but that is a stereo type that i resent. once again youg lads have been branded "boy racers". you don't have to be under 22 to drive like a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do you have to be under 22 to dig up 6 month old threads to pick a fight?

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement