Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think happens after WoW

• 29-08-2009 8:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

What do you think will happen once Blizzard stop hosting the game in a couple of years. Do you think they'll just abandon it or give people official software for a WoW private server?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It'll be a long time before this train has run out of steam and by the time it does the public servers will just come down one by one.

You can make a private server as it is can't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yeah private servers do exist, dunno how and not sure if they are entirely legal (probably not).

I say it will go the way as every other MMO has ended, the servers will receed to a handful and then be shut down for good. but I dont see it happening anytime soon, we still have to reach level 100 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ryanch09 wrote: »
    What do you think will happen once Blizzard stop hosting the game in a couple of years. Do you think they'll just abandon it or give people official software for a WoW private server?

Couple of years? Ultima Online is still going and that came out in 1997. It has never had the same level of customer base that WOW has.

Or another example is Neocron which amazingly is still alive even though the average server populations are less then you would find in Dalaran on a busy day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

WOW is a serious serious cashcow for blizzard, they will keep this cash cow alive as long as possible... When things start to slow down I could see them laying off staff as to maximise profits and try to create another cash cow. Wow is too important to blizzard for them to let it die. I would think they will do their best to introduce new features and content to keep people playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And lets not forget they have an unannounced mmo in the pipeline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'd imagine it will be easily still be going into the 2020s. It sounds like a long time but cataclysm alone will probably bring us into the 2012-2013 sort of region depending on when they get it out and it wouldn't take too many more expansions to get to 2020.

I would think a lot of how far it will go depends on how far Blizz wants to push it, if Blizz score another big Mmorpg success you would see it get tossed aside pretty quickly as regards updates so they can concentrate on the newer game but on the other hand if they don't score any successes on the Wow scale they will keep the Wow cash cow going for as long as they possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

TheDoc wrote: »
    And lets not forget they have an unannounced mmo in the pipeline

true many of the main WoW creaters have moved to the "next gen mmo" project

Advertisement