Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless N Modem/Router

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Can someone recommend a Wireless N Modem/Router?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'm a fan of anything Linksys (Cisco Systems) do. I've yet to hear about anything they've done being diabolical.

What type of connection is the router for? Because if it's ADSL, you'll want a modem/router and if it's cable or wireless, then a standalone cable router is what you'll want. I assume that it is ADSL, as you did say "modem/router".

How much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hi Deceifer,

Thank for the reply.

I have a broadband connection (dsl) and do want a modem/router. Want to spend around €100. Might be nice to get one with usb ports for hard drives etc.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I can't find any Linksys ones on Komplett or Elara. I'd shop around, and see what you can find. €100 will get you something decent enough, not sure about the USB ports, though, as I've never had a router with any.

Just avoid the Linksys WAG160N. I have since found out that it's not a great piece of equipment. Some people have had issues with it regarding their speed, and there's another active topic Boards.ie today regarding the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭measurement

Are you intending to replace the broadband modem you already have (you said you have broadband, so I'm assuming you have a modem)? If not, you might just need a router.
    If so, have you considered getting one with a print server embedded? This would allow you to connect a printer (USB usually) directly to the router, without having to have another pc connected. Gives you the freedom to print from anywhere in the house.
    I had a D-Link 714P, but after 5 years it died. I now have a Belkin version, that I got on ebay for about €32 plus postage. It arrived in a couple of days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement