Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WD Passport - Very slow transfer

• 29-08-2009 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I have recently purchased a WD Passport 500 Gig external hard drive.

I am using the WD software to do a backup. It is the first backup so I expect it to take quite a while. I left it on all night but its only transferred 2.6 Gig. I have 160 Gig to be backed up. Is this going to take days?

Anyone encountered this problem before and any possible solutions?

BTW I am connected by USB 2.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Did you try using it on another USB port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Did you try using it on another USB port?

Tried other USB port. No luck. It would be quicker backing up to the internet at this rate:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skuby1968

have you formated it to NTFS before you started? If you are using the wd software to back up I doubt if you have formatted it. Mabe its stuck on a large file that FAT32 cannot handle
    Format it using NTFS and use windows backup to it. Are you using VIsta or XP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Disconnect all USB devices baring the mouse and keyboard, restart the computer and see if transfer speeds increase. If not, try another port again perferably at the back of the computer?

Perhaps check to ensure you are up to date with your USB drivers as well, or check the Device Manager for mentions of USB 2.0 or USB Enhanced Host Controller to verify you do have USB 2 ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Id suggest trying the drive on another pc too and see what kind of transfer speeds you get. It's unlikely, but I have seen transfer speeds slowing down dramatically when the hard drive (in your computer or the WD) is on the way out.
    Is the computer okay in general? not been running slow recently?
    What kind of computer is it and how old?

• Advertisement
Advertisement