Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website opinions please

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I made this website (with coffeecup): http://www.kilfenoraclare.com for the local town. Could ye give me some opinions please.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Tim M-U wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I made this website (with coffeecup): http://www.kilfenoraclare.com for the local town. Could ye give me some opinions please.

thanks
    The layout and design is fine, the only thing I'd change would be the fonts.

I'm a Veranda fan :)

Kilfenora is famous for its magnificant high crosses and its traditional Irish music. Kilfenora
    is the home of The Kilfenora Ceili Band. At Kilfenora there are some beautiful flowers, lots
    of limestone, some countryside extras and to top that off... a sea breeze!

Just makes the type clean and easy to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

1) Please do not use grey for nearly everything. It makes it hard to see. It would be nice to have the brand/logo on the website.

2) Also it has very little info.

3) they are an irish company hosted in america by fatcow with the address of 70 Blanchard Rd, Burlington, MA 01803, US. Irish companies need to be hosted on irish servers to attract the irish public in search engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

its not a company! thanks anyway!
    btw: i registered it with Letshost.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Tim M-U wrote: »
    its not a company! thanks anyway!
    btw: i registered it with Letshost.ie

The point that HandWS LTD is trying to make is that it's hosted with Fatcow who are an American company, and this will have a negative effect on your irish search engine results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Agree with the guys above, hosting on an Irish server would be a benefit for your site.

Speaking from experience :)

• Advertisement

I have a Digiweb business windows hosting account:pac:. might use that instead! thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Using a .ie domain also gets you on the Googe Ireland searches (regardless of where it is hosted). I've not read much (valued!) opinion to suggest that hosting a .ie in Ireland makes any difference.

In this case, a .com domain, hosting in Ireland is definitely recommended.

As for site review:
    • Content, content, content. Copy the parish newsletter news items, with permission. Get the local GAA club's fixtures and results. Invite stories from locals.
    • Consider a template. I'm not a good designer, so I use templates (or pay someone who is a good designer). Templates can be had for the price of a pint or 2. You can still learn lots about HTML/CSS in the process, but you have a decent looking site at the end of the process. Whilst your site is not bad for an early effort, it's far from appealing, far from looking like someone is interested in keeping it going, and doesn't encourage return visits.
    • Did I mention content?
    • The navigation links are just short of impossible to read, you need to have better contrast there
    • Content. You need some.

so this is what qe would like it like: http://www.kilfenoraclare.com/uuuiii.html

i like it the way it was, just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You just list URLs on your 'what to do' page - why not link to them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement