Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get dog backpack.

• 29-08-2009 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi i am looking to get my hands on a dog backpack to increase intensity of my dog's walk. He is an akita/ lab cross. Can anyone recommend a good place? preferably in ireland where i could go in and they could advise me on the best size for my dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

i was looking for one a while back too for my akita. Never got one in the end as funds dictated otherwise but shopping online was my only source, never found a pet shop that stocks them.
    Try countryhounds.ie they have some. Or good old ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭elainepie

adser53 wrote: »
    i was looking for one a while back too for my akita. Never got one in the end as funds dictated otherwise but shopping online was my only source, never found a pet shop that stocks them.
    Try countryhounds.ie they have some. Or good old ebay

Thanks Adser ..My dog is only 9 months old though and i am thinking maybe i should wait as he may grow out of it. Does anyone have one, and could they tell me .. should i wait or will the straps adjust as the dog grows. I suppose it depends on the size of the dog and as the dog is over 5 stone now nad is only 9 months, and he is a cross.. i am not sure what size he will grow to.. that is why i would love a place i can go into and try them on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

elainepie wrote: »
    Thanks Adser ..My dog is only 9 months old though and i am thinking maybe i should wait as he may grow out of it. Does anyone have one, and could they tell me .. should i wait or will the straps adjust as the dog grows. I suppose it depends on the size of the dog and as the dog is over 5 stone now nad is only 9 months, and he is a cross.. i am not sure what size he will grow to.. that is why i would love a place i can go into and try them on him.

I'd suggest getting in touch with Rita at countryhounds, she'll be able to give you all the advice you need. I think that you could probably start off with the harness for the backpack until he is strong enough to wear the full thing, and you can gradually build up the weight in it. But, yes, you may need to wait until he is fully grown, or you'll be buying another one soon.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭elainepie

ISDW wrote: »
    I'd suggest getting in touch with Rita at countryhounds, she'll be able to give you all the advice you need. I think that you could probably start off with the harness for the backpack until he is strong enough to wear the full thing, and you can gradually build up the weight in it. But, yes, you may need to wait until he is fully grown, or you'll be buying another one soon.

Best of luck

Thanks very much!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Brendaspets.ie have some too (I don't know if they're up on the website but I saw them in the shop when I was there earlier).

She also has some rather nifty full body type harnesses that are a godsend with my arthritic collie as they have handgrips on the back that mean I can lift him straight up and out of spots that he gets stuck in. Possibly not of huge importance to other, normal, dog owners lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

elainepie wrote: »

Our ones are adjustable. They adjust around the front of the chest and the belly too. :)

I got one myself to try for my (rather hyper!) jack russell and he loves it. It gives him a job to do as such and it seems to tire him out a bit quicker :pac:

Any chance of a pic of your dog? sounds like a gorgeous mix! :p EDIT - im a tool - just saw the pic in the first post :/ he is gorgeous though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Hi There

I bought one for my staffie and I got it on ebay.

It was a couple of years ago but was under 20 euros as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dog Backpack

snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We got ours in the pet shop in airside. We got the small size and there's LOADS of slack on the staps. You can bring the pup in and try it on to be safe. He's still growing so maybe get a cheaper one for now and once he's grown invest in a better quality one. I use ours for when we're going to the park to do some training - so his long line and some toys on the other side to balance it out. My plan is to wait for pet expo and see if country hounds have any of the better quality once I can try on him like the ruffwear one ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185168

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

maxi-zoo do them. dont know how much though

• Advertisement
Advertisement