Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus and router

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

Sorry for bringing up a zombie thread, but I'm having the exact problems as the OP since yesterday, namely, a Belkin router that's hooked up to a chorus cable modem and is no longer responding. Still can access the internet when hooked up to modem directly. This would happen the odd time and would usually be fixed by turning everything on and off; I'd nearly always have to do this when first using another device such as an ipod or the xbox that's hooked up to the router. This no longer works. One thing I can't understand is when both are hooked up - and not connecting to the net- the wireless light is flashing like crazy. If anybody has any ideas I'd be greatful. My technical knowledge of broadband stuff is embarrassing so laymans language if possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

thread split out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hi, OP from the original thread here.

I had to eventually abandon Chorus boradband after about 8 weeks of messing around and having to connect my laptop directly to their modem.

I checked with a neighbour down the road who had the exact same setup as me on Chorus broadband, except that their router was working for them. As far as I remember, we compared IP addresses and what was getting assigned, and there was definitely something unusual with how my connection was working. We eventually decided it was a problem on Chorus' side, and this was confirmed with a lot of Googling (apparently it's an issue that arises with cable broadband connections if they weren't correctly set up in the first place).

Chorus Broadband support was utterly shocking; the frontline staff were less than clueless, and even when I was put through to a "technician" this person knew less than I did about cable modems (and I knew very little at that stage).

I would recommend (1) try another router, just to rule that out. (2) try pursuing the issue with Chorus; maybe ask them to completely reset and reapply the conneciton from their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I had to eventually abandon Chorus boradband after about 8 weeks of messing around and having to connect my laptop directly to their modem.
    Chorus Broadband support was utterly shocking; the frontline staff were less than clueless

You clearly were the clueless one there.... you had internet access through Ethernet cable....yet there was a problem with your broadband?????

Shocking indeed. You ether had pc config or router config problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I would recommend (1) try another router, just to rule that out. (2) try pursuing the issue with Chorus; maybe ask them to completely reset and reapply the conneciton from their side.

You can't honestly expect UPC to support a router that they didn't supply, there are simply too many brands to be able to do this. Also, since the connection is working fine for the OP, when wired directly, then resetting the connection at the server end will not nothing. The problem is between the cable modem and router.

More info is needed. Does the cable modem function as a router, what IP is assigned to your computer when you connect directly? What exactly is the model of the Belkin router.

Advertisement