Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinnosexuals.

Options
  • 29-08-2009 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I was in the Imperial last night with a guy who works in Quinn Direct. He said the place was black with Quinnites. No matter where he turned, there were colleagues.

They all hang around together and go out with each other and since many are not from Cavan they don't know anyone apart from other Quinnites. This isn't helped by the fact that many of them live in those soul-less half empty housing estates ringing the town so there isn't much chance for social interaction apart from work.

Is this a new orientation unique to Cavan - Quinnosexuality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    I was in the Imperial last night with a guy who works in Quinn Direct. He said the place was black with Quinnites. No matter where he turned, there were colleagues.

They all hang around together and go out with each other and since many are not from Cavan they don't know anyone apart from other Quinnites. This isn't helped by the fact that many of them live in those soul-less half empty housing estates ringing the town so there isn't much chance for social interaction apart from work.

Is this a new orientation unique to Cavan - Quinnosexuality?

This sensation isn't exclusive to Cavan. Walk into The Bell in Blanchardstown on a Friday evening and its full of 'Quinnosexuals' from the Blanchardstown office.

I'd imagine Enniskillen and Navan are the same with the offices there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

OP deinitely didnt predict current state of affairs back as recently as then!
    Not a great outlook for Cavan at the minute!!... i think this thread might gain momentum when we start hearing about redundancys after tomorrow(tues).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

No it aint only Cavan any town that has a company like Quinn is the same and unfortunatley a lot are facing the same problem with half finished estates and little or no prospects if we continue to lose jobs.

its an awful situation for the workers. On one hand I have sympathy for Sean Quinn, (I assume he didnt make all the decisions) but ultimatley he is responsible for the mess.

I just have a question, Would it make a difference if more Irish people took out their insurance with Quinn. I am not with them but would go with them next time and maybe if enough people were to go to Quinn it could save some jobs???? I am with an Irish company and in general we all need to support our own as best we can in these times.
    I think now of Jean Kennedy Smyth when she said on leaving Ireland as U.S ambassador She was "stunned at the lack of outrage in Irish people"

Maybe I have rose tinted glasses but I can only imagine the devestation these proposed job losses will cause to the North East. I also believe a solution can be found as the company are trading fairly well. Dont know what the solution is but surely we have the people to drive us out of this mess even if we have it tough for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

I wouldn't worry about it Leo.

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it Leo.

Why not? We all to need to worry about what is around the corner for us. I am in the same job for 31 years and it is a safe job. But I am not so selfish not to worry about people from my area and the prospects any of us have for our children, or people from any other area whether it be Limerick - Dell or Cavan- Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

LeoB wrote: »
    Why not?

Because it won't make a difference. The decision makers are the problem imo. The "little people" can't do much. Decisions from the suits will be what makes or breaks the company.

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Because it won't make a difference. The decision makers are the problem imo. The "little people" can't do much. Decisions from the suits will be what makes or breaks the company.

I get a huge sense of apathy and understandably so. Little people can make a difference but must work together.

This has just fallen off the radar. And local politicans are keeping very quiet. These people in suits also must be challenged and made pay for what they have done.
    I was on my way to a match last night and went by a large Tesco and was disgusted to see lorries with Stobart Ireland on the side, Stobart are doing the Tesco haulage and a good few Irish lads have lost out. We have not shopped in Tesco for 6 months because of their sly way of doing business, screwing us basically. Every little helps me Ar*e. We made a stance and thats what more people need to do. I know a few others who have done the same

Quinn can survive and flourish if people do something about it, but it will take more than Quinn staff. It needs a big effort from everyone in Meath, Cavan, Monaghan Louth and beyond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

could you explain the stobart ireland thing?? im ignorant to it and im ure everybody else is... id boycott a product if i knew what i was supposed to boycottin against..... explain please (in average joe terms)!

flanum wrote: »
    could you explain the stobart ireland thing?? im ignorant to it and im ure everybody else is... id boycott a product if i knew what i was supposed to boycottin against..... explain please (in average joe terms)!

Eddie Stobart is a big transport company based in Carlisle(?) England. They have more or less taken over the transport of Tesco. My info on this is not all Irish drivers have been kept on, so Stobart Ireland is basically window dressing. Tesco are so big they can play around with figures and produce all kinds of nice stats for press. I know 1 man who worked there and they called him and a good few others into the office and told them so many jobs were going, cutbacks or streamlining. When these lads left the meeting there was a big sign up announcing they made 1.2 billion profit the previous year. I was telling my wife and we decide there and then we would not shop in Tesco again and we have'nt.
    Tesco and or Stobart now have a refrigirated train running from Spain to their distribution centre in the south of England and this will more than likely have an impact down the road on Irish growers no matter what spin they put on it.

I dont fully understand how all this stuff works but I do know Irish people need to look inwards and start supporting each other hense my point I will swap my car insurance to Quinn. I will clarify these details futher over week end or later tonight so check back later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

LeoB wrote: »

I dont fully understand how all this stuff works but I do know Irish people need to look inwards and start supporting each other hense my point I will swap my car insurance to Quinn. I will clarify these details futher over week end or later tonight so check back later

What if people in Britain decide to only get their insurance from British insurance companies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement