Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you emigrate???

• 29-08-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Any time I read a newspaper these days I just feel like a lot of the articles on almost every page are like reasons or incentives to leave grey, wet, cold, windy Ireland for the next 50 years or so..... Stories of crime, corruption, backwardness and practically third-world standards in so many key areas with no sign whatsoever of any improvement in the decades to come :(

I'm personally am not in a position to leave unfortunately - or at least things haven't gotten bad enough yet that I feel I really have to get out regardless of other situational factors.

Its increasingly common to hear people say that they would happily leave this place if only there was somewhere to go, which is a fair point. But what other considerations would worry you?

- I'd be interested to hear from any of you that have considered it, are going or have gone!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Yeah.

Going to Guatemala after Christmas and i've plans to either live there or Colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

not in a position financially, but when I win the lotto .................. I'm outa here :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wife and I intend to. Canada or New Zealand being the most likey at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't. Ireland's not that bad

I wish everyone that gives out about it constantly would just fcuk right off to Australia and bring the negativity with them though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Yes.

I'd love to go back to India for about a year, and I'd like to end up living in New Zealand or New York/Wisconsin.

Edit: I do enjoy living in Ireland, the people, the craic and the obvious good standard of living. Disliking my country is not one of the reasons on my list for moving away, far from it. I'd like to move away to these places because I love the lifestyles, atmosphere and range of opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I wouldn't even have to think twice. I'd be gone tomorrow if I could!!

I would consider it. All I have to lose here is my family (though that's a rather big thing in fairness).

I'd love to......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

If I had the monies I would absolutely gtfo of here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wish all the negatives would leave - now. Go to the airport, just go. If you think Ireland is that bad, you have no reason to be here. Go away. We don't want you, nothing is stopping you. Money reasons? Bull****. Ryanair does cheap flights all over Europe.

Ireland is one of the best in the world. Ireland didn't invent crime, if you bother to look at any crime figures, Ireland is quite low in the world.

Corruption? Every country has them. Luckily we don't go to war for monetary reason. Again, you'll find we're not a major player for a corrupt leader.

Third world standards? Have you walked down the ****ing street lately? Are you posting on a PC with a modem or carving it with a rock? Believe it or not although our health system is not perfect, it is one of the best on the planet. If you get knocked down, you will get an ambulance, treatment.

Lose your job? Don't worry you'll receive financial assistance? Have kids? You'll get some money for that too. The weather? Not the countries fault. Would you like monsoons? Hurricanes? Live in a desert? Antartica?

Go on, leave, I won't miss you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I am, saving every spare penny, well the ones that dont get drank that is!
    Off to China next June (or earlier if i get made redundant), little wet cold inward looking Ireland no more.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If I had a decent job to go to I would.

Not because of anything to do with this country,just for the life experience.

Anyway,the more people that emigrate the better.

More emmigration = less on social welfare,less people looking for jobs etc.

Im quite content to wait and pick up the pieces.*

*May contain slight sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Raiser wrote: »
    Would you emigrate???

Too old now (at 40) to get into a lot of places. Nor any idea of what the fuck I'd do there. Besides, its a worldwide recession.

(Funny enough, I'm listening to a song called "World of Shit" at the mo, which title sort of sums it up....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

had a chance to go america didnt take it prob should have but hey everything happens for a reason!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Nodin wrote: »

(Funny enough, I'm listening to a song called "World of Shit" at the mo, which title sort of sums it up....)

I'm listening to one called 'Freeloader'
    Much suited to dole people :P

I'd gladly emigrate but I cba looking for a job in a different country when I have one here.
    You call it laziness, I call it security. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

Every time I go on holiday I spend the next month afterwards thinking about emigrating:)

So yeah. But only because of the weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I wish all the negatives would leave - now. Go to the airport, just go. If you think Ireland is that bad, you have no reason to be here. Go away. We don't want you, nothing is stopping you. Money reasons? Bull****. Ryanair does cheap flights all over Europe.

Ireland is one of the best in the world. Ireland didn't invent crime, if you bother to look at any crime figures, Ireland is quite low in the world.

Corruption? Every country has them. Luckily we don't go to war for monetary reason. Again, you'll find we're not a major player for a corrupt leader.

Third world standards? Have you walked down the ****ing street lately? Are you posting on a PC with a modem or carving it with a rock? Believe it or not although our health system is not perfect, it is one of the best on the planet. If you get knocked down, you will get an ambulance, treatment.

Lose your job? Don't worry you'll receive financial assistance? Have kids? You'll get some money for that too. The weather? Not the countries fault. Would you like monsoons? Hurricanes? Live in a desert? Antartica?

Ireland isn't bad, but there are other countries that are just much better.

Oh, and lol at the part in bold. Because emigration is as easy as a cheap flight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Did, haven't looked back. More for personal reasons, though.

It's not that Ireland is bad or not, but most of the problems mentioned in the OPs post are common elsewhere. For me, it's the idea that Ireland so idyllic that there is something wrong with people who want to leave, a la the following....
    I wouldn't. Ireland's not that bad

I wish everyone that gives out about it constantly would just fcuk right off to Australia and bring the negativity with them though

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I did emigrate for around four years back in the late '80's early '90's. Came back though and - despite all the shi1te of the last couple of years - I'm still glad I came home.

Lots of things really boil my piss about living in Ireland but I honestly don't believe anywhere is run in a perfect manner. Grass is always greener etc.

These things pass.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Considering it in the next 5 years. I've got a NZ passport so that makes things easier for Aus/NZ

IvySlayer wrote: »

Why do you assume people leaving is to do with the above? I know i'm not leaving for any of them. I just want a change of fúckin scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I definitely will soon, it's good to broaden ones horizons, to see how things are done differently elsewhere, it's a big world out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Why do you assume people leaving is to do with the above? I know i'm not leaving for any of them. I just want a change of fúckin scenery.

I'll give you €500 if you can find some crafty way of abducting IvySlayer and bringing him with you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Ireland isn't that bad!?! just moved to oz myself couple of months ago. But irrespective of how things are at home. Its still home and its missed. :o

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Did, haven't looked back. More for personal reasons, though.

It's not that Ireland is bad or not, but most of the problems mentioned in the OPs post are common elsewhere. For me, it's the idea that Ireland so idyllic that there is something wrong with people who want to leave, a la the following....

I never said Ireland was idyllic..

you're saying that the only reason you left was because of people thinking there was something wrong with people leaving? okay :pac:

It doesn't bother me at all if people leave, more power to them

What irks me is people lambasting the country for reasons such as high crime rates and corruption, and saying they'd like to leave for those reasons but never actually going anywhere.

I lived in the US for 2 years, so I'm not against people broadening their horizons. But don't flame the nation because you're stuck in a rut.. get up and do something about it

Ireland isn't bad, but there are other countries that are just much better.

Oh, and lol at the part in bold. Because emigration is as easy as a cheap flight. :rolleyes:

Well, in Europe it is :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

I would emigrate if I had qualifications but I don't. I've done the hole emigrate thing but it sucks. you can only do basic jobs and the opportunites arent that great.
    But if I had a degree...NO PROBLEM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have lived in uk for many years now and despite the high cost of everything in Ireland , crime , weather etc , will always have emotional ties to the place .The ideal situation for me would be to have a place of my own in Ireland in a quite suburban village or Town .It's not always the option for many but understandable under present economic climate how people want to leave .People have being leaving for decades and longer so it's not a new phenomenon.

• Advertisement

I'll give you €500 if you can find some crafty way of abducting IvySlayer and bringing him with you :D

I'll do it for free and drop him in zona 1 in Guatemala city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

Yes i would but it's more being forced out

my leaving may be a question of when rather than if sadly :(

I like naked women :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

What an absolute load of tripe. Number 1? Are you ****ing joking?

Edit: And before anyone says "It was in 2005" thats still bull****, none of the factors listed there are enough to bring Ireland to the top.

Jumpy wrote: »
    What an absolute load of tripe. Number 1? Are you ****ing joking?

Edit: And before anyone says "It was in 2005" thats still bull****, none of the factors listed there are enough to bring Ireland to the top.

No, of course.. it was just made up by a bored teenager :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisfaction_with_Life_Index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index#2007.2F2008_report

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index#2008_ranking

Ireland ranks highly in all of these studies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Some of the others make a little more sense. But number 1 in the quality of life? I have lived in two other countries that rank lower on that list with a much higher quality of life across all those factors. Not just for me but the majority of the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I never said Ireland was idyllic..

you're saying that the only reason you left was because of people thinking there was something wrong with people leaving? okay :pac:

It doesn't bother me at all if people leave, more power to them

What irks me is people lambasting the country for reasons such as high crime rates and corruption, and saying they'd like to leave for those reasons but never actually going anywhere.

I lived in the US for 2 years, so I'm not against people broadening their horizons. But don't flame the nation because you're stuck in a rut.. get up and do something about it

No, I said my reasons for leaving were person.

I never did "flame the nation" (and I know you never said I did) but I agree with you: get up and do something about it. Instead of telling people who may have a genuine insight into the poorer elements of the country that they should just get the **** out.

http://www.il-ireland.com/il/qofl2008/
    We've fallen a bit since then. Just as good/bad as Colombia, St Kitts and Nevis and South Aftica.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ireland is a hole. As soon as my loans are paid off i'm out of here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I'd love to go to France for a year or so to improve my french and prob will in a few years, but I'll definitely come home again

• Advertisement

78% of all statistics are made up on the spot!!!

But anyhow, if thats your approach..... According to this table from the World Health Organisation, Norway (which is only one place away from us on your Quality of life table) has a suicide rate well over three times that of Albania!!!!!

- I'm just going to go buy an AK47 and herd Goats in the Albanian Hills by your logic!!!!

I refuse to accept a table full of statistics as proof of anything when I can just look out the window and see the truth.....

Scumbags ruling the streets in mobs unchallenged by any Law enforcement, Mothers chain-smoking as they beat their 12 kids in the rain on the way to scam social welfare and rasie a 15th generation of Scumbags on tax revenue.

Half the Country out of work and the other half waiting nervously for their P45.

School, Hospitals and transport infrastructures that were more progressive and very often better 100 years ago.

The Catholic Church and The Government fcuking the Nation over day on day without anyone ever facing any consequence to their actions - they don't even resign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Do you mean emigrate to make a new living or just feck off travelling?

I'm off to Uganda in october anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

78% of all statistics are made up on the spot!!!

But anyhow, if thats your approach..... According to this table from the World Health Organisation, Norway (which is only one place away from us on your Quality of life table) has a suicide rate well over three times that of Albania!!!!!

- I'm just going to go buy an AK47 and herd Goats in the Albanian Hills by your logic!!!!

I refuse to accept a table full of statistics as proof of anything when I can just look out the window and see the truth.....

Scumbags ruling the streets in mobs unchallenged by any Law enforcement, Mothers chain-smoking as they beat their 12 kids in the rain on the way to scam social welfare and rasie a 15th generation of Scumbags on tax revenue.

Half the Country out of work and the other half waiting nervously for their P45.

School, Hospitals and transport infrastructures that were more progressive and very often better 100 years ago.

The Catholic Church and The Government fcuking the Nation over day on day without anyone ever facing any consequence to their actions - they don't even resign!

Of course, why let facts get in the way of a good rant. :rolleyes:

Of course, why let facts get in the way of a good rant. :rolleyes:

You're from Athlone - Can't you see I'm trying to help you????

:eek:

Anyway - what's not factual there? You're getting no marks for observational skills!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I would and I will :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

Nope. We're still a wealthy country and I have not been out of the country in 15 years (and that was a holiday). Then again, I don't have children to rear so it's easier for me to take that position I suppose. But the recession is global, so there aren't rhe same comparative advantages to emigration that would have been there in the 1980's. The social-welfare system here is quite generous too, and I think that will suppress emigration levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

3 months left5 :D

well I hope

I don't even know what to say in reply to that

when are you booking your ticket? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    http://www.il-ireland.com/il/qofl2008/
    We've fallen a bit since then. Just as good/bad as Colombia, St Kitts and Nevis and South Aftica.

Us being at No.1 is complete horse manure, by the same token being all the way down near Colombia is equally ridiculous. We haven't fallen that far in 4 years. I mean come on, has anybody here actually been to South America? It's a fascinating place but Utopia it ain't and as for Argentina ranking at number 13? Rubbish. The place was in tatters when I was there, physically and economically, albeit 9 years ago now and though I hear much has changed, they had a long way to go. South Africa better standard of living than Ireland? Pah! Maybe in an area of Cape Town that accounts for about 0.00001% of the land mass. Lets stop the bullsh1tting here. We've been hit hard but we're not exactly third world. We partied hardest, therefore we are suffering the greatest hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I dunno why people would leave solely because of the weather. Its grand weather, not too hot or too cold which nearly everyone on the continent/USA/Canada/Australia experiences.
    News to the begrudgers of the Irish weather, there are people who like this weather, we even get tourists from hot countires here as its refreshing for them!!

Holland was 30C and sticky with constant thunderstorms during the week, wouldn't fancy that anywhere for a summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement