Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you emigrate???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

To emigrate would be an opportunity to see a different part of the world, work a while, then maybe travel. If anyone has the chance to do it, they should go for it.

Weather etc., wouldn't pay a factor in the decision to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

I guess no one told you about the recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Raiser wrote: »

I refuse to accept a table full of statistics as proof of anything when I can just look out the window and see the truth.....

Seeeeeeee, this is the way one should judge your quality of life. Not by dragging up statistics from 2005 telling us that Ireland is number one ON THE PLANET for quality of life. You would have to wonder who they asked in the survey? Maybe it was the bankers and builders who were fleecing the country in 2005, and the people on social welfare who faired better than people who trudged into work every Monday morning.

You have to judge the quality of life by looking around you, and not by statistics. Look what happened to the country the last time there was an election (i.e. everyone believed that life with FF and The Greens would just be absolutely fabulous).

For anyone who has an inkling to leave the country, I encourage them to do it whatever the emotional/financial cost (as I did and much happier for it). For those who want to stay: fair play to you (sincerely), I'm sure that you are happy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Straight to Japan;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Yeah.

Going to Guatemala after Christmas and i've plans to either live there or Colombia.

Out of the frying pan into the volcano? I think you're mad!

I'd emigrate but not sure where or when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Us being at No.1 is complete horse manure, by the same token being all the way down near Colombia is equally ridiculous. We haven't fallen that far in 4 years. I mean come on, has anybody here actually been to South America? It's a fascinating place but Utopia it ain't and as for Argentina ranking at number 13? Rubbish. The place was in tatters when I was there, physically and economically, albeit 9 years ago now and though I hear much has changed, they had a long way to go. South Africa better standard of living than Ireland? Pah! Maybe in an area of Cape Town that accounts for about 0.00001% of the land mass. Lets stop the bullsh1tting here. We've been hit hard but we're not exactly third world. We partied hardest, therefore we are suffering the greatest hangover.

Pretty much the point I was making. Yet the source is the same as URLs.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I wish all the negatives would leave - now. Go to the airport, just go. If you think Ireland is that bad, you have no reason to be here. Go away. We don't want you, nothing is stopping you. Money reasons? Bull****. Ryanair does cheap flights all over Europe.

Ireland is one of the best in the world. Ireland didn't invent crime, if you bother to look at any crime figures, Ireland is quite low in the world.

Corruption? Every country has them. Luckily we don't go to war for monetary reason. Again, you'll find we're not a major player for a corrupt leader.

Third world standards? Have you walked down the ****ing street lately? Are you posting on a PC with a modem or carving it with a rock? Believe it or not although our health system is not perfect, it is one of the best on the planet. If you get knocked down, you will get an ambulance, treatment.

Lose your job? Don't worry you'll receive financial assistance? Have kids? You'll get some money for that too. The weather? Not the countries fault. Would you like monsoons? Hurricanes? Live in a desert? Antartica?

Go on, leave, I won't miss you.

Great post. Thanks. :)

I love the way people give the 'I've got a house, three kids and a car' line as their reason for staying in Ireland.

Why the f*ck did you buy a house in Ireland in the first place, if you dislike the place so much? Please answer that.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Dord wrote: »
    Out of the frying pan into the volcano? I think you're mad!

I'd emigrate but not sure where or when.

I've already lived in both of those countries and i love the pace of life. Really laid back places. Reminds me of Ireland before the celtic tiger. I'm not doing it to escape a recession though. I'm actually not doing it to escape any problems. I haven't gripes strong enough for me to leave Ireland. Ireland will always be here for me to come home to and it will always be my home no matter where i am.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I love the way people give the 'I've got a house, three kids and a car' line as their reason for staying in Ireland.

Why the f*ck did you buy a house in Ireland in the first place, if you dislike the place so much? Please answer that.. :o
    Maybe they liked it at the time?

Why do people continue to post stupid questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I wish all the negatives would leave - now. Go to the airport, just go. If you think Ireland is that bad, you have no reason to be here. Go away. We don't want you, nothing is stopping you. Money reasons? Bull****. Ryanair does cheap flights all over Europe.

Ireland is one of the best in the world. Ireland didn't invent crime, if you bother to look at any crime figures, Ireland is quite low in the world.

Corruption? Every country has them. Luckily we don't go to war for monetary reason. Again, you'll find we're not a major player for a corrupt leader.

Third world standards? Have you walked down the ****ing street lately? Are you posting on a PC with a modem or carving it with a rock? Believe it or not although our health system is not perfect, it is one of the best on the planet. If you get knocked down, you will get an ambulance, treatment.

Lose your job? Don't worry you'll receive financial assistance? Have kids? You'll get some money for that too. The weather? Not the countries fault. Would you like monsoons? Hurricanes? Live in a desert? Antartica?

If you compare Ireland to a third world country, yes.
    If you compare Ireland to a modern European country, no. (Well, apart from Italy)
    Consider the health system comment signapped. Then ask Biggles how he feels about it.

Maybe they liked it at the time?

Why do people continue to post stupid questions?

Ah the 12 year olds logic. Very good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I'm getting a 12 month work visa for the US, probably leave next July. I'll see what happens after that. The only reason I'm leaving is that I know I wont get a job in Ireland once i'm finished college. Hopefully things will have picked up in a few years, but I don't see any point staying scrounging social welfare or working in a job outside of what I've trained in (seeing as I've spent 7 years in college).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not only would I, I did. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Have done and don't regret it, been gone for just over a year now, and its been nice. I didn't leave Ireland because of any real reason, just fancied a change. I had a decent job with security, and so on and so forth.

However I'm in the position now where I'm thinking of moving home, but its odd, it feels like I've been here for longer then I have and I'm heading somewhere brand new.

I think the main reason is the job, and also having to move back with the family after living on my tod now for a year.

I would recommend it to anyone but like has been mentioned, the grass is always greener, its been both cracking and really bad over here in the year. Same as home really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

i have left Ireland, this time for good, probably. It was really just to find a good job, but i ended up in a nice part of England - definitely not London btw.

I have aso lived in the US. A note, however, to all people who hate Ireland because of the corruption, the weather, the politicans, the trains, the health service.

1) The NHS is not all that. America has a good service only for those who are covered.
    2) The trains in England are worse now, I think, than Ireland.
    3) The only part of the world I have lived in which has continuous brownouts was California, where the public transport is atrocious as well. And property had more of a bubble. And the poitical system stinks.
    4) If you were following the recent expenses scandal in the UK it was as bad as Ireland, or worse.
    5) Weather in Californa was better if you like sun all the time. it may be that you will get out more, but who knows? There is little in the Irish weather to stop people walking, running, or cycling most days. Britain is the same.

I am talking about where I have been. I dont get Australia at all. Really too far away from interesting parts of the world - i.e. Europe. Even the West Coast of America is relatively isolated from anywhere but the west coast of America.

That said, I like England. But that is probably related to the part of England I live in, not a magnet for immigrants. You will end up in a bedsit in Birmingham, pining for home.

those of you who want to leave to see the world should go, those who want to go because Ireland is the worst place ever are going to have to either ignore the flaws in your new home, or wake up to the grim reality that no place is perfect, and many things are done worse elsewhere. If you are the kind to hate the place you live in, you may hate any place you live in. i could live in Ireland again, although Dublin is worse than the nice college city I live in in England, it is probably better than London. I got lucky. You may not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I'm sort with URL on this one...Irish people have to be the greatest in the world for hating their own country. People say "Oh I'm out of here as soon as I _______" or "I would but I can't because ____" are just talking out of their ass. They know they'll never emigrate but they want to jump on the "I hate Ireland" bandwagon.
    mega man wrote: »
    I guess no one told you about the recession
    Obviously nobody told you that even after a economy contracts 8% this year, our GDP per capita, will still be significantly higher than the UK or Germany (according to Peter Sutherland, head of BP and Goldman Sachs)

Also, to the person who basically said "F*ck statistics, I can look out my own window and see what's going on", how do you know that that is accurate to how everyone in the country is? Sure, a statistic may not either, but at least it is made up of people from all classes, income levels etc. to give a picture of how the country as a whole is doing.

Ireland is far from perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as all these begrudgers make it out to be.
    The way I see it, Ireland has been a first world country for what..15 years now? Maybe a bit less? In a globalised world, the Irish people have come to expect our country to rank up there with the rest of the western countries immediately because we're exposed to them daily, while our infrastructure and lawmakers and stuff like that are trying to play catch-up.

All you adults complain about teenagers, "Celtic Cubs" are spoilt and how we'll be in for a harsh reality or whatever, when infact you don't see how the boom has changed yourselves. Do you not see how far this country has come in under 20 years? From an extremely poor country to one of the richest per capita in the world? Exceeding those who have been first world countries for decades?
    Even now, with our unemployment rate nearly double what it was a few years ago, there are now 80% more people in employment in Ireland than there was 20 years ago. Where else has stuff like that happened?

FFS be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

We're not being negative. Maybe some are, but not all.

It's a big world out there. And to not explore it would be stupid! I really believe that. Some people want to travel/emigrate more than other people. So by criticising people for doing what they want sounds a bit negative, no?

And I will certainly not miss you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No, I love Ireland.

I love living here.

I love the people, and think we've the prettiest women in the world.

I love being surrounded by ocean - because some day it'll mean the bloody Brits will fuck off home and leave us alone someday, free to control our own destiny.

When I travel abroad with my job I love what being Irish mean's.

I even love the weather most of the time.

I love that we're in a recession now, it mean's a whole generation of greedy, money hungry fuckwits will be brought to earth with a bang - very fvcking humbling for 'em too!.

And I love that we're boards.IE and not .COM - or heavens forbid .co.uk

And I love Guinness!... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I love that we're in a recession now

Seriously?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

blow69 wrote: »
    Seriously?!

Yes, seriously.

Sometimes a good kick up into the bollox is good for some people.

I truely believe the boom bread a generation of uncaring, money hungry, mean & arrogant shoit bag's.

And I really do believe this period will be very humbling for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tarbuck

I don't mind Ireland (Dublin specificially). I'd emigrate if I thought there was an opportunity out there somewhere to make a tonne of money but until that opportunity presents itself to me I will stay put.

I wouldn't leave here just because I predicted somewhere else out there was better because quite frankly I don't believe it. I have been to some places around the world and quite frankly I found them all worse than here.

On the other hand I've a friend who emigrated to Oz 6 years ago can no longer speak of this country without using the phrase 'fúcking shíthole'. But the fact of the matter is he was a loser in Ireland and acted like a total wanker to most people who knew him he was generally thought of as a joke, mainly due to his own behaviour. This reputation started to follow him like a bad smell.

When he got over to Oz he had the chance to re-invent himself (much as a kid in secondary might do when they hit college) and I think purpously camled down. He lives in Sydney now and does exactly the same ****ty job he did in Dublin and lives in the same ****ty style apartment he did in Dublin. Basically he hasn't moved on a jot from what I can see. However he seems happier where he is but I reckon that's nothing to do with Oz being a better than Ireland. A person from Oz could have come over here and done exactly the same thing. Basically this guy was just running away from his problems.

Similiarily I get the feeling that a lot (not all!) of people who are unhappy with life in Ireland are actually unhappy with some other aspect of their lives (maybe they haven't fulfilled what they wanted in their personal life, or in their career etc) and that is the real reason they wish they could run away and make everything right somewhere else.

Good points, Tarbuck. the people who get more energetic when they move to OZ are the obvious examples. The weather is no excuse for not getting active here, but going a few thousand miles makes people feel they should. And so they do. For them emigration is good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yes Sir im off to the land down under in a few weeks, and no Before ye ask im not one of those Backpacker sheep that will Just go to Sydney and live and Drink in a Irish pub with other Irish people while wearing my county colours and never meeting local Aussie or never asimilating into the local community. I intend to go to regional Aus and a nice small town and get to know the local people, if i see a Irish pub i certainly will avoid it and hopefully i wont meet too many other Irish people for i wanted that id stay here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

I'll be gone as soon as I'm finished my medical degree. 4 years to go :(
    Can't wait!

Yes Sir im off to the land down under in a few weeks, and no Before ye ask im not one of those Backpacker sheep that will Just go to Sydney and live and Drink in a Irish pub with other Irish people while wearing my county colours and never meeting local Aussie or never asimilating into the local community. I intend to go to regional Aus and a nice small town and get to know the local people, if i see a Irish pub i certainly will avoid it and hopefully i wont meet too many other Irish people for i wanted that id stay here in Ireland.

Too expensive? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Drakmord wrote: »
    I'll be gone as soon as I'm finished my medical degree. 4 years to go :(
    Can't wait!

Where are you going? Alot of Irish Doctors seem to piss of to pastures new after graduating, really says alot for the mentality of people here.. and then the same people complain about the country being backwards :rolleyes:

I guess it makes room for better doctors to come and work here though, for more reasonable rates of pay

sorry for the rant =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Strongly considering it, though I'm not sure where I'd go.

Alot of Irish Doctors seem to piss of to pastures new after graduating

Really, free education for vocationals shoud come with a stipulation that you work here, if work is available, for a certain period.

asdasd wrote: »
    Really, free education for vocationals shoud come with a stipulation that you work here, if work is available, for a certain period.

Exactly. As it is now, Ireland is losing its most skilled workers and those who are willing to work here have a smaller chance of getting places in college.

The people that are prepared to stay in Ireland for a time after graduation should have first refusal on certain courses

• Advertisement

Too expensive? :p

Yeah that too:D but i certainly wouldnt go to a Irish pub in any of the big Cities, would be way too many Irish Backpackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

id emigrate tomoro if i didnt have any debt to pay off first!!!!new zealand here i come in two years time!!!anyone is free to join me:D

They're crying out for Dundalk lads in New Zealand alright. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I intend to, probably to London or Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

They're crying out for Dundalk lads in New Zealand alright. :o

i'm a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and ive been there already and theyre open to a dundalk/s.armagh girl i found!!!lol

Exactly. As it is now, Ireland is losing its most skilled workers and those who are willing to work here have a smaller chance of getting places in college.

The people that are prepared to stay in Ireland for a time after graduation should have first refusal on certain courses

Have to ask yourself: Why?

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Have to ask yourself: Why?

I don't doubt that Ireland has its problems, but so do other places

If the most skilled members of our workforce abandon us what hope do we have of improving? It's a sad state of affairs =(

People are losing out on college places to people that won't even be here after they graduate, it's not right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

If I hadn't of gotten my new job in July, I would have emigrated by the end of the year. I was planning on joining my uncle in America. He been over there for 18 years and lives in New Mexico. He has his own company over there now.

If I hadn't of gotten my new job in July, I would have emigrated by the end of the year. I was planning on joining my uncle in America. He been over there for 18 years and lives in New Mexico. He has his own company over there now.

I was in Santa Fe back in 2005 for a few nights, i liked it but its Just too hot there, great pub there called the green onion run by a Irishman, good fun if i can remember correctly:D

• Advertisement

Gotta love those who take pleasure in mocking those who consider leaving.

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24246

Take a look at how Ireland compares. We need to rid ourselves of the idea that a 2 - 3 thousand square foot house is a mansion.

From that thread
    http://www.finfacts.com/irishfinancenews/article_10004604.shtml
    The average new house size in Australia and the United States is about 2,200 square feet, Canada and New Zealand 1,900 square feet and both the United Kingdom and Ireland an extraordinarily low 815 square feet and 930 square feet respectively. New British housing is now only 15% larger than the former East German slab developments, of which one million have been vacated, since the reunification of East and West Germany.

When it comes down to the most basic thing.....living space...Ireland blows...suck it up.
    Great were better than the 3rd world woop! but nothing wrong with seeking a better standard of living in another 1st world country

The colonies have more living space becuase they have less people per square metre - European cities are always going to have less space. But, yes, that is one advantage of the US, the average house in the boondocks is bigger. Probably that isnt the case in New York, or San Francisco. but its easy to build in the boondocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Going to Australia for life after my leaving, which I hope wil be July coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I was in Santa Fe back in 2005 for a few nights, i liked it but its Just too hot there, great pub there called the green onion run by a Irishman, good fun if i can remember correctly:D

I haven't been to New Mexico yet. He only just moved there two years ago. He and his wife brought a horse range in NM. The whole family is planning to visit him next year. My uncle's has lived all over the US.

I don't doubt that Ireland has its problems, but so do other places

If the most skilled members of our workforce abandon us what hope do we have of improving? It's a sad state of affairs =(

People are losing out on college places to people that won't even be here after they graduate, it's not right

That's my point. It IS a sad state of affairs, but not half as sad as labeling them "negative" and encouraging them to "**** off to the airport". How is this going to fix anything?

I haven't been to New Mexico yet. He only just moved there two years ago. He and his wife brought a horse range in NM. The whole family is planning to visit him next year. My uncle's has lived all over the US.

Woe that sounds fantastic a horse ranch in NH, ive lived and seen a good bit of the olde U.S.A and Canada, my Dream is to buy a nice Waterfront Cabin in southeast Alaska for the Holidays:), but at the moment im off Down Under, where i intend on settleing down for the next 20-30 years.

• Advertisement

Ah australia. A big desert and two cities of any note. I really want to go there for about a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I have lived abroad, but I like it here, when I tell people that they think that i'm a) lying or b) insane, and actually, one of my main reasons for liking it here is the weather.

I've travelled a good bit and I lived in Canada for a year and much as I love love loved the gorgeous summer I would never in a million years go through another winter there. Waiting for public transport with -25 windchill, wading through knee deep slush in a city of 4 million people's slush, and falling on my ass on ice nearly every night I went out was enough to make me love Irish weather. Sure it's cold and wet, but it's not painfully cold, and for the love of God it's an island with mountains near the coast, you know the general annual forecast is for rain and then some rain, so why are people surprised when it rains?? :confused: Just do what I do, expect rain every day and then you'll be delighted when the sun comes out :)

One of my hobbies is photography, particularly landscapes, and I've taken some of my best photos here, so many colours and flowers and sheep! It's gorgeous, much nicer than some of the cities and dry arid countries I've had my camera in.

And without a doubt, Irish people have the best, most quick witted and hilarious sense of humour ever, and having to tone down my idea of funny to work and socialise in a foreign country nearly killed me, I missed how mean my friends are to me here!:D

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    That's my point. It IS a sad state of affairs, but not half as sad as labeling them "negative" and encouraging them to "**** off to the airport". How is this going to fix anything?

Most people in this thread said that they would emigrate! It's hardly a positive thing

Emigration is not about going away for a year or two to develop life skills, emigration is saying 'I do not want to live in this country'

as far as I'm concerned those people should all fcukoff sooner rather than later, maybe it'll help us out of this recession as we can replace the workforce with people that actually want to be here.

Why should they not be called negative towards Ireland?

asdasd wrote: »
    Ah australia. A big desert and two cities of any note. I really want to go there for about a week.

:rolleyes:If you Just Judge a country on its Cities then dont bother going anywhere for really there is no point, because big cites are big cities everywhere, its whats outside, the small towns and countryside that count.

The people who are absolutely certain that Ireland is the worst place in the World have never emigrated. As it happens I prefer the part of England I am in to Dublin, where I last lived ( but miss parts of Ireland, and somethings about Ireland). Those of us who have emigrated tend to be a bit more philosophical, but we know more of the world.

And you cant tell by visiting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement