Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you emigrate???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I already have - but not because I wanted to leave home, my OH is a kiwi.

I have to laugh at all those people mentioning NZ like it's an idyllic place. I'm sitting here in a cold, uninsulated house (yes, in NZ there is no central heating and very few houses have insulation or double glazing) watching the rain pour down and the winds blowing a gale. During the week I was woken up by a violent earthquake. A larger one that will destory Wellington is overdue and expected anyday. Salaries are a lot lower and crime is just as high as Ireland - I certainly don't feel any safer.

The grass is always greener but every country has problems, NZ is not perfect, nor in my opinion, is quality of life better overall here. There are some things that are better and I'm enjoying getting the experience of living in a new country and realising that all this "Ireland is **** talk" is just grass is greener syndrome. There are some things I like better, some I don't. That's how it will be everywhere. It's not black and white (e.g. Irelnd is **** and everywhere else is better - it doesn't work that way) and emigrating is not easy.

We will be going back to Ireland in 2 or 3 years and I'm glad I have been away and can go back appreciating the things I missed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arrived in San Diego the other day, and **** it's awesome here. I'd be seriously tempted. Having to get up at 7am to watch the football sucks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Arrived in San Diego the other day, and **** it's awesome here. I'd be seriously tempted. Having to get up at 7am to watch the football sucks though.

I BLOODY LOVE SD!!!! fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

watna wrote: »
    We will be going back to Ireland in 2 or 3 years and I'm glad I have been away and can go back appreciating the things I missed.

Presumably you have a job? That's the biggest reason why people are leaving Ireland & I can assure you, a mandatory three day week or redundancy does affect your quality of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

I'm sitting here in a cold, uninsulated house (yes, in NZ there is no central heating and very few houses have insulation or double glazing) watching the rain pour down and the winds blowing a gale

Watna, are you down in the Bluff! :D

By the same standard, house values fluxuate hugely here, meaning....shock!....you get what you pay for. I appreciate it that for the first time in my working life, I have a the option of considering a low house loan for a house I don't want to commit my life to.

Without getting too deep in to it, I do feel that property prices in Ireland are cripling, but thats old news. Otherwise your pretty much on the money, tho back to the weather thing.....way more hours sunshine here in a climate thats pretty much as mild as Ireland.

Thats a major kick up the ass in my rating of quality of life :)
    Nz is a great standard to hold Ireland to, I feel it shows what Ireland is great for, and also sadly what we've lost to the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

the expenses scandal. A similar scandal in Ireland would have everybody falling about in utter ebarrasment. YOU LIVE IN LONDON. HOW DID YOU MISS IT?
    Ok neither you nor I could know if Irish politics is more or less corrupt than the UK, it's a very difficult thing to prove either way. Let's just leave it at "they're (politicians) all a shower of power hungry, self-interested ego maniacs with nothing but contempt for most people". :)
    The UK had a blasphemy law until 2008. Did you even read about the law that was going to replace it - until the Lords turned it down the Commons was bringing in a law which made it a hate crime to criticise religion, seeing it as a proxy for criticism of ( well) Islam. A watered down version has been introduced which will still arrest people for the hate crime of criticising religion. Similar laws were passed in Australia, and Canada. Meanwhile the Irish law is merely an updating of a law which never arrested anybody - even during the 50's. A better solution. But why dont you know this?
    I did know that and Ireland should have done the same, instead of updating the law it should be abolished. Unfortunately for the UK it's law makers/politicians are having to bend to the will another group of people who believe in ghosts and fairies i.e. Muslims.
    Because we dont live ina world of religious conservativism - the only christian part of the world which is like that is the US - you were opposed to people having white weddings in Churches, and a supposedly catholic school system which ( as I know) does not teach much Catholicism but does educate better than the English one.
    I'm not opposed to people having white weddings in Churches at all, I just think that it should be done for genuine reasons and not because it's just what people do. Anyway by 2012 civil ceremonies are set up overtake religious ones in Ireland according to the ONS so that's a good thing. It's seems people are tiring of the ridiculous charade.

As for the Catholic school system, you can't attribute the successes of Irish education to the fact that the church is involved, that's a ridiculous assumption to make. My problem with the Catholic church even being in schools in the first place is the same problem I would have if someone said to me "Did you hear the Church of Scientology is now going to be running the schools?" Same difference.
    I might be coming across as anti-English here, far from it, but I actually live in the country and see it's flaws too. To balance it up - I like their country pubs, their tolerance which is not the same as "liberalism" - their ales, their village etc.
    I love the villages too, I now live in one just 25 mins from central london on the over-ground. Small little high street, beautiful old red-brick buildings, got 7 great restaurants, 4 nice old pubs (one of which I can barely fit into the ceilings are so low), around the corner is a small community run theatre/cinema, a sports centre which is amazing, 3 huge parks one of which is an "aquadrome" where every day it isn't raining you see people sail-boating, water skiing, biking, walking, running ... And did i mention just 25 mins to central London ? :)
    But, really, there is little difference in the two countries on "progessivism". THat is too much Hot Press 1985, move on.
    I don't know. The recent reaction to the report on sexual abuse in religious institutions in Ireland left me reeling and feeling the country was far from progressive. It was an absolute national disgrace the way the political and religious establishment reacted and behaved. Their behaviour was dispicable and vile. And why didn't more politicians speak out? Ask yourself that.

It was a national disgrace the way the entire thing was handled and far, far, far from "progressive".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

blow69 wrote: »
    Excuse me, but did you not say unless there is war, famine or severe unemployment, you must be selfish to emigrate? However when someone who more or less has agreed with you on every point does it for experience you give him an out.

And comparing it to a runaway teenager is quite frankly, idiotic. God forbid someone should want to see the world. Why is it that we have to stay in Ireland just because we were born here?!

BS.

As I said, going away to see the world or as an experience is not emigrating.

My problem is with people doing it because they think Ireland is such an awful place to live.

So cop on to yourself and read my posts before you call it BS

I love the villages too, I now live in one just 25 mins from central london on the over-ground. Small little high street, beautiful old red-brick buildings, got 7 great restaurants, 4 nice old pubs (one of which I can barely fit into the ceilings are so low), around the corner is a small community run theatre/cinema, a sports centre which is amazing, 3 huge parks one of which is an "aquadrome" where every day it isn't raining you see people sail-boating, water skiing, biking, walking, running ... And did i mention just 25 mins to central London ? :)

Oh dear, I think I've just talked myself out of moving back to Ireland. I've just had a vision of only being able to afford to buy a 2 bed semi in some anonymous estate in Dublin with no local amenities and a pub which only does "carvery" for food. :(

In fairness now, most of the people here are lovely. It is the lack of facilities, infrastructure and promise of economic hardship for many years to come thanks to political ineptitude & so on that make me want to leave - that & the fact, I just miss home. :(

• Advertisement

Now Im all bleary eyed and love Ireland again lol :pac:
    Anyone know the music to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ouninpohja

i've been living abroad for last 20years after leaving ireland after i finished school,i returned last year to spend time with elderly parents and love some things about ireland,however the lack of public parks and leisure facilities is shocking imo.of course the climate is a real letdown also after living in australia and california where on your freetime you can make plans for outdoor activity.until local authorities adjust their priorities and start building parks/public areas a lot of the working class people will still be living in poverty with little hope of having a decent standard of living.

ouninpohja wrote: »
    i've been living abroad for last 20years after leaving ireland after i finished school,i returned last year to spend time with elderly parents and love some things about ireland,however the lack of public parks and leisure facilities is shocking imo.of course the climate is a real letdown also after living in australia and california where on your freetime you can make plans for outdoor activity.until local authorities adjust their priorities and start building parks/public areas a lot of the working class people will still be living in poverty with little hope of having a decent standard of living.

Yes it's the lack of public spaces and facilities/amenities that shocked me most when I moved away, I suddenly saw (but instinctively knew) why so many people get lost in the "demon" drink, there literally is bugger-all else to do in many places. Humans are extremely social creatures, the very essence of being human is a longing to be around other people. So in Ireland it's no surprise to see how popular the pub is. But then you move to places like where I live in England and on a nice day the local parks are bustling with people having picnics, cycling, fishing, water-skiing, playing cricket etc. The amount of parks and canal waterways to explore is mind boggling. That's not to say all of the UK is like that. A lot of Ireland is similar to large post-industrial areas of the UK i.e. housing estates + no amenities. And that equation always = serious social problems. Just look at Tralee. Read a horrific article recently about the crystal meth problem there and literally the social breakdown of the town. Tralee is a pathological case of a problem repeated throughout the country.

You can't just give people a box (house) and a job and tell them to be happy, people need more than that, always did and always will.

I think it's a crime that all the greedy developers were not coerced by the goverment to build local amenities when they were building entire towns of new builds. It was like they were building massive social problems to come as well as huge, soul-less dwellings with no regard for the environment or the human spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Yes Sir im off to the land down under in a few weeks, and no Before ye ask im not one of those Backpacker sheep that will Just go to Sydney and live and Drink in a Irish pub with other Irish people while wearing my county colours and never meeting local Aussie or never asimilating into the local community. I intend to go to regional Aus and a nice small town and get to know the local people, if i see a Irish pub i certainly will avoid it and hopefully i wont meet too many other Irish people for i wanted that id stay here in Ireland.

You're still a cliche. I'm getting quite sick of this whole Australia thing, and people here have the cheek to complain about the Polish? Not you in particular!

Yes. its diddly di di di diddly de de de diddly do do do diddly di di di - eh think its "who eddie".

In all seriousness they are some quality pics.

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Yes. its diddly di di di diddly de de de diddly do do do diddly di di di - eh think its "who eddie".

In all seriousness they are some quality pics.

Have to admit I hate Irish weather but then the country wouldnt look like that without it. Also I couldnt imagine hiking around Australia in 40c heat, when I was there people burnt to death out in the bush. That said their weather is awesome. What a catch 22 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

You're still a cliche. I'm getting quite sick of this whole Australia thing, and people here have the cheek to complain about the Polish? Not you in particular!
    Some of the people are always in the right, god-like cnuts - they can moan about everyone else but no one can moan abot them ;)

From my past experience I've learned that nearly every place you stay in for long enough time will p1ss you off. I had exactly the same thoughts leaving Poland several years ago and I don't think I'm coming back. I read all the posts here and I wonder how come that the Irish don't see all this beautiful things and potential that thic country offers. Sure it's not perfect, bo there's no perfect place! All depends on your attitude and the way you look at thigs.

Have to admit I hate Irish weather but then the country wouldnt look like that without it. Also I couldnt imagine hiking around Australia in 40c heat, when I was there people burnt to death out in the bush. That said their weather is awesome. What a catch 22 :confused:

Yes, plus there's no ozone layer over Oz. Wouldn't do many hikers any good at all.

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Yes, plus there's no ozone layer over Oz. Wouldn't do many hikers any good at all.

Its actually a problem here too
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Uars_ozone_waves.jpg
    The continual decline in ozone levels due to chemical depletion and the increase in frequency of mini ozone holes over Europe is resulting in an increase in harmful biologically active UV radiation.

http://www.theozonehole.com/europeanozone.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

What a shameful lot. :) 95% will be home within a couple of years with their tail between their legs. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

In fairness, it doesn't matter if Dublin ranks number one in offering high pay if you are one of the thousands that don't have a job, also average pay is not an indication of standard of living in a country - and does it mean that those outside of Dublin have good reason to leave? :P
    Exactly.
    little to offer culturally except getting f**ked in pubs every weekend and talkin' s**te till it was literally coming out me arse.
    So true.
    The Catholic church ruined the Irish people, tried for hundreds of years to knock the fun out of them (with great success) until we discovered "the drink", desperate to escape the terrible oppression of our organised religion and the 'moral' preachings of our dear leaders. The church ruined our souls it didn't save them.
    Couldn't agree more.
    But despite all that people still call themselves Catholics. People's claim to faith in Ireland is the worst kind of hypocritical farce I can imagine, it's a nation full of BDM (Births-Deaths-Marriages) Catholics that haven't the spine or guts to say "No, I don't believe" and live their lives accordingly. No we wouldn't want to offend or upset would we. No, no, no, just shut up and fit in and never speak your mind. Don't cause a scene, just sit down and be quiet, good lads.
    I know exactly what you mean, what the hell is wrong with those people?

The huge majority of us young people nowadays have the "guts" to do it though, so it is a very good sign.

I mean, maybe if your parents have beaten the religion into you then you'd think it was all true.

But my parents at least, as well as all my friends' parents have given us free will [as should be done] and every one of us [not to mention everybody in my school] knows that it's complete bullsh*t.

And anyone who believes in it should really take a step back and look at it from outside the goldfish bowl.

Not going to start a religious debate here, just thought it needed to be said.
    And how is it that the church still runs the schools? If people can't see what's wrong with that then there's no point even discussing it.
    ^ This
    And "The Angelas" at 6pm ? Really, c'mon. How pathetic.
    It's what I always say, I always get a good chuckle when it comes on if I'm in the same room.
    "Pathetic" is the best word so far I've hear to describe it, well done.

Ugh..can't wait till this older generation of bitter people just dies off so my generation can take over. At least we seem to appreciate the positive aspects of the country and are proud of what we are. Sure we know we're not the best, but we're not the worst. And we know how lucky we are to have the luxuries that we have now. Even the D4 airheads understand how far Ireland's come.
    Are you sure it's not the younger generation who know it's sh*t?

My problem is with people doing it because they think Ireland is such an awful place to live.

It's such BS. Honestly.
    Wow, that makes me want to leave before I even finish school.
    ... Wait what?
    What a shameful lot. :) 95% will be home within a couple of years with their tail between their legs. Unfortunately.
    Why?

Like why the hell would you come back?

If you go away to a different country and don't like it, then you simply go to another country.

You don't go "Oh no, it's not as nice as Ireland. Lets go home there because it's slightly less of a sh*thole.

There are almost 200 countries you can go to, why would ANYONE come back after trying just one [or even a few] other countr(y/ies).

The thing that amazes me the most though, is all the people saying "Ireland isn't the best, but sure it's not the worst"!

Precisely, it's not the best.

So why the hell would you stay here if you have the option to GO to the best?

Why settle for less?

It's like me giving everyone in the world money, and I give some people €50, and others €1,000.

I give you €200 and if you don't say anything, then it's like staying in Ireland.

But all you have to do is ask me, and I'll give you €1,000 - the equivalent of leaving Ireland.

Yeah, that felt good.

• Advertisement

SirDarren wrote: »
    Exactly.

So true.

Couldn't agree more.

I know exactly what you mean, what the hell is wrong with those people?

The huge majority of us young people nowadays have the "guts" to do it though, so it is a very good sign.
    [..]

You're talking pure shite and you call what I say BS? :rolleyes:

You hate Ireland, fair enough.

Ireland hates you too. Go and enjoy your new-found happiness, instead of spending your time here telling others how much better off you are now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Anyway, my opinion is that eveyone should be free to travel wherever they want and live wherever they feel good. Ireland became a place of happiness for me, the country I left may become perfect home for somebody else - and that's natural I think. I see a lot of potential in this country and it's people (incuding immigrants like me), and I put a lot of effort to make this island better place. Some people just give up and I wouldn't blame them. I've given up a different country some time ago.

The only thing I don't get is why people who stay (don't emigrate) have so many problems with those who do. I can't see anything that makes people better than the others just because they decided/had to stay/emigrate. Personally I can't see anything wrong with travelling and living somewhere else than the place I was born. Well, so am I not supposed to leave the town I was born in? The county? If so, what's wrong with the country then? The fact that I wanna live in some other place doesn't make me a bad person, does it? Some people like it here, some people don't - it's just like "if you like green, you are a traitor, you must like red, as it's much nicer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Staying here - safe job - want to see how fu*ked up this country gets with the recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I left, and it was the best thing I ever did from a personal point of view. Some people are happy in the goldfish bowl but I'd had enough and got out.

I still love Ireland, and it'll always be home, but it's not even close to being the best place in the world, especially right now.

Exactly, I just resent that society tells us that you have to own a house in your mid twenties.You have to settle down with a wife and kids in your thirties and resign from life.
    I couldnt imagine that London is better than Dublin

Well come back to us when you have lived in both then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can't wait to emigrate as soon as I'm finished college.

Only 20 months to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Like why the hell would you come back?

If you go away to a different country and don't like it, then you simply go to another country.

You don't go "Oh no, it's not as nice as Ireland. Lets go home there because it's slightly less of a sh*thole.

There are almost 200 countries you can go to, why would ANYONE come back after trying just one [or even a few] other countr(y/ies).

Reach for the stars SirDarren........ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055580021
    SirDarren wrote:
    Where is the highest social welfare in the world?
    I seen a chart on here showing that Luxembourg was the highest in Europe in 2006, but where is the highest in the world currently?

Thought you were talking about Ireland?
    Go and enjoy your new-found happiness, instead of spending your time here telling others how much better off you are now
    I haven't left yet :cool:

Thought you were talking about Ireland?

I haven't left yet :cool:

Are you still in school the free education system provided by the state to give you the best chances in life?

Oh, well do enjoy it before you leave

mikom wrote: »
    Reach for the stars SirDarren........
    I don't get it?

I co-founded businesses and have never been on social welfare.

I was asking that to solve a discussion some friends and I were having - Although I never even got a real answer to it.

EDIT: And as a matter of fact if you read that, you'll notice that I call anyone who is on the "dole" without needing it a leech. [E.g. people who can get a job easily, or who already have a job, but still stay on social welfare].

Are you still in school the free education system provided by the state to give you the best chances in life?

Yeah.

Cheers though.

• Advertisement

Yes, enjoy it while you can because your children won't.

What really pisses me off about the whole third-level fees debate is that no party has come out saying "If we get elected, we won't bring in fees", they're saying "If we get elected, we'll bring in something a bit different to what FF are proposing".

I thought politicians wanted to get elected? If FG and Labour were to come out and say "We will not introduce fees if we're elected" then they'd win the next general election by a landslide. Instead, they've seen that this idea was proposed and now they think that they can milk this country's kids when things are at their worst financially.

This is one thing that's convinced me to leave this country. I've got a free education, which I'm grateful for, but if I have to pay for my kids' education then I might as well do it in a country I'm happy in.

Yes, enjoy it while you can because your children won't.

What really pisses me off about the whole third-level fees debate is that no party has come out saying "If we get elected, we won't bring in fees", they're saying "If we get elected, we'll bring in something a bit different to what FF are proposing".

I thought politicians wanted to get elected? If FG and Labour were to come out and say "We will not introduce fees if we're elected" then they'd win the next general election by a landslide. Instead, they've seen that this idea was proposed and now they think that they can milk this country's kids when things are at their worst financially.

This is one thing that's convinced me to leave this country. I've got a free education, which I'm grateful for, but if I have to pay for my kids' education then I might as well do it in a country I'm happy in.

It's still free.... so one of the reasons you left is because it may not be free in the future?

That's idiotic! In the future we may have a communist dictator so should we all leave now, just in case.

You made your choices to desert the country that gave you the chances you had to do what you want, and I have no respect for you at all. Throw up reasons all you want for leaving,
    bottom line = you're selfish

I'm bowing out of this thread in fear of been banned now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

I'm bowing out of this thread in fear of been banned now

And we're grateful for that.
    You come on to a thread about people talking about emigrating and spew garbage like Ireland is the number one place on the planet for Quality of Life.

Methinks that thou dost protest too much.

It's still free.... so one of the reasons you left is because it may not be free in the future?
    It's not going to be free for much longer. Whether FF bring it in or FG/Labour bring it in, it's coming. Don't be so naive.
    You made your choices to desert the country that gave you the chances you had to do what you want, and I have no respect for you at all. Throw up reasons all you want for leaving,
    bottom line = you're selfish
    You're right, I am selfish. I have no problem being called selfish because I want what's best for me and my family.

To me, there's a better education available in other countries. For instance, foreign languages are taught a lot better in other European countries than they are here. Add to that, most other countries don't make a minority, regional language that has no use outside of that country compulsory learning for all students. Also, secular schools are the norm, not the exception. There's also the pathetic time and facilities given over to PE in Irish schools.

There are many flaws in the Irish education system and I am aware of places where there are better systems. I want my children to be educated there. It's selfish, yeah. I don't feel dirty admitting I'm selfish.

And that's just one reason why I want to leave Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Well come back to us when you have lived in both then.

i live near enough to London to work there when necessary. I have lived in Dublin.

LOL at people who have lived nowhere else who demand I live in "both". I know no English people who have lived in London who want to go back, it is too big, noisy, expensive and hard to get to meet other people, despite the tube. The tube, wonder that it is, is a hell in the morning. And I know this because I go to meetings in London and I have to get to work by 9, so I am on it at 8 AM. Shudder.

There are better parts of the UK.

Sir Derrren and all are going to be angry people wherever they go - and this nonsense of trying out 200 countries is mere crapola. The only countries mentioned here - beside Veneuzeula - are all in the English speaking countries. The adventurous-get-away-from-it-all kind want to even go to France - the next country away from the "mainland".

And really the "controlled"by the Catholic church thing is getting old. It is not the 1950's. Nobody gives a **** if you dont go to mass, you are not a radical if you had sex outside marriage, and that has been the case for a generation. If you want to leave Catholic Ireland get a time machine, go back to the 50's, and leave it.
    Eh, I'm not Irish & I've lived in several countries - but thanks for the condescension; oh wise one. I agree, all countries have their faults - and Ireland being so wonderful you live in.....England, right. So not living in the UK, I can't comment on that (despite spending the past 20 odd yrs there) but you not living in Ireland can tell me how wrong I am not to like it here - um, okay then. :confused:

I really dont get that one. If you emigrate to a country, dont like, then leave. I have, of course, lived in Ireland in my adult life. My claim here is not that Ireland is so good, but that the kind of people who think Ireland the worst country in the world, or the most corrupt, or the worst weather etc. will not do anything anywhere else, will not be happy anywhere else, and will be miserable everywhere else.

There is plenty to do around Dublin. Just flew in this morning to meet the fambily and drove past people cycling up the Wicklow mountains in the rain. Can you imagine it? I've done that.

The "I cant get off my lazy arse because there is a bit of drizzle" folks are going to stay in the pub in the Bronx, London, or even Sydney. If they cant get off their backsides in a city beside a bay, close to a mountain range, and close to a walkable hill ( Howth), with Europe's biggest enclosed park, they are f*cked in Birmingham. If you stay in the pub in Dublin, you will in London. English people drink as much, or more, as Irish people. In Sydney you think yourself healthier by drinking your self stupid at a barbie on a beach - they get drunk at the drop of a hat too.

The "I hate this country but have never left" misanthropes are hating the only country they ever knew, the only people they have ever socialised with, and the only society they have ever been a part of - so they probably just hate everything they will ever meet. Their future is bitching in a pub with other Irish misanthropes about how crap Ireland is , which was their antecedents milieu in the 50s.

Please stay away from here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

As I said, going away to see the world or as an experience is not emigrating.

blow69 wrote: »
    Excuse me, but did you not say unless there is war, famine or severe unemployment, you must be selfish to emigrate? However when someone who more or less has agreed with you on every point does it for experience you give him an out.

And comparing it to a runaway teenager is quite frankly, idiotic. God forbid someone should want to see the world. Why is it that we have to stay in Ireland just because we were born here?!

BS.
    Exactly.
    Yeah, that felt good.

You hate Ireland, fair enough.

Ireland hates you too. Go and enjoy your new-found happiness, instead of spending your time here telling others how much better off you are now

Gentlemen please collect your weapons.
    This is a simple discussion with no need to resort to personal attacks or insults so please cut it out in future or face a holiday from sunny AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

We're planning to emigrate to Germany...Munich preferably. For many different reasons...weather, crime, weather, lack of transport (on the collapsed train line) etc.

Also, chance to speak and use a language I spent four years learning, to try living again in a country I have already enjoyed living in and to have the opportunity to visit new towns in a car. Living abroad is hard work but fun :D

I love Irish people and I like being Irish. I just don't enjoy living in Ireland. It could be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i'm moving to the continent end of september.
    although born and bred in ireland i consider myself european so i dont really think of it as emigrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

With rising taxes, a ****ed up health service and looking like things are going to get worse, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I'm leaving this week. Can't wait.

wudangclan wrote: »
    i'm moving to the continent end of september.
    although born and bred in ireland i consider myself european so i dont really think of it as emigrating.
    Sounds like the Lisbon Treaty.

I'm going to the US, but sure I consider myself an Earthling so it's not emigrating either. :D

asdasd wrote: »
    There is plenty to do around Dublin.

Oh great, except, I'm not in Dublin. :confused:
    ...the kind of people who think Ireland the worst country in the world, or the most corrupt, or the worst weather etc. will not do anything anywhere else

I don't know anyone who thinks it's the worst in the world - there would be several hundred lower than Ireland on my scale but it's not really near the top either. I know a few couples & families who are leaving/left and it's down to a lack of facilities and having experienced a greater quality of life elsewhere, I don't know anyone who is leaving for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Left a good few years ago, will never move back. Been in Ireland a few times for work over the past while, and can safely say its not a place i would want to be. ;)

deecom wrote: »
    Left a good few years ago, will never move back. Been in Ireland a few times for work over the past while, and can safely say its not a place i would want to be. ;)
    Where did you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

deecom wrote: »
    Where did you go?

LubeJana? I think he's working as a Butler in a Porn Star's Castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ummmm, right. That was my point. Australia has nothing outside its cities. It's a desert.

LOL!

You could probably fit a couple of hundred Irelands in the parts that "Are not desert"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

In my opinion Ireland is a great country to live in. If you can find true happiness and contentment somewhere else good luck to ya! No point staying somewhere you're not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

tinking of going myself, looking into korea for a year but not because i dont like ireland just want to experience something new

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

absolutely, trying to figure out where to go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone know if there's anywhere left that you can actually arrive in and realistically hope to find work?

- Canada seems to be about the only option you hear mentioned :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement