Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog's Number 2

Options
  • 29-08-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

Has Been Very loose now the last few weeks, i thought it was the change of food from eukabenka to Hills but its been like this for 7-8 weeks now, brought him to the vet and she said there was nothing wrong with him.

Have recent wormed him also so doubt its thats.

He's a 9 month old GSD, any idea's / thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our pup is on Hills (the best out of a bad bunch in the pet shop the evening we got him) and his are loose too - he'll be switching to James Wellbeloved once it arrives this week so hopefully that should make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It does sound like it's the food that isn't agreeing with him.
    Gradually introduce another brand like Burns or Royal Canin or JWB there's a load of other ones as well. It might take a while before you discover the food that suits the dog best. As long as a new food is introduced gradually.

In the mean time boiling up some rice and a bit of chicken will help firm up the poops. With some dogs grain doesn't agree with them though but perhaps give it a try and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Did she do a blood test to rule out EPI? Diarrhoea is a classic symptom and EPI is prevalent in the breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sorry, just thinking aloud - he should be tested for giardia as well - not all wormers are effective against it and again the diarrhoea is a symptom.

I've fostered a few GSDs that had diarrhoea so these the things the vet had to rule out each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I've heard that the breed specific Royal Canin is excellent for GSDs with sensitive stomachs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

hadook wrote: »
    I've heard that the breed specific Royal Canin is excellent for GSDs with sensitive stomachs.

someone else has said that to me earlier aswell, i'll give that a go. Ive stil a 15kg bag of hills un opened though :o

anyone want to trade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

i had my gsd on beta but bad stools , switched over to hussie and i've seen a massive improvement , all firm now :D.
    Over feeding can also cause diarrhoea.

Hope you find the solution good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

If you bought your Hills from a vet, you should be able to return it to them and they should refund it to you, Hills offer a refund scheme if your animal wont eat their food. Vet shouldn't be at any loss, they claim it back from Hills.
    Ditto what o/p said about EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency), it is a condition that I would be suspect of in a young GSD with diarrhoea. If the stool is pasty, white/grey/yellow in colour and of toothpaste consistency, I would advise seeing your vet (or another one if you are concerned).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

I have my shihtzu 9 weeks old on the pupp redmills and she seems to have the runs from it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Recently switched my Cocker off Royal Canin to Arden Grange. It wasn't due to the poops being runny, more that he wasn't so keen on eating it straight away.
    After the switch, he's gobbling the food in double quick time & I've also noticed that his number 2s are much more solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We had a problem with ours too, trial and error until she settled on James Wellbeloved. Results are fairly instant too - max 2-3 days before you see the change.

olaola wrote: »
    We had a problem with ours too, trial and error until she settled on James Wellbeloved. Results are fairly instant too - max 2-3 days before you see the change.

OMG I hope thats the case for our little guy!! I was up at 4:00am with him this morning for poo-poo patrol lol I couldn't stop gagging - must have looked funny to my nosey neighbors! :D

OP our order of JWB food arrived just there - I'll report back on what happens. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

upthedub wrote: »
    I have my shihtzu 9 weeks old on the pupp redmills and she seems to have the runs from it:(

Redmills is generally a food for working dogs and therefore would have a lot of energy in it. It possibly is too rich for your puppy, and that could explain the diarrhoea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ado86 wrote: »
    Redmills is generally a food for working dogs and therefore would have a lot of energy in it. It possibly is too rich for your puppy, and that could explain the diarrhoea.

Ive posted on the other thread too, think you are confusing the redmills leader range with the grey hound food, the leader range is suitable for all dogs/puppies and not for working dogs.

Advertisement