Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon kit stolen

• 29-08-2009 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but I had a disaster Thursday night as both my car and my wife's car were stolen from outside our house with my camera bag and kit in it. The contents:

Nikon d80, Nikkor lens 18-135m lens 3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR lens 3.5-5.6, 105mm Macro lens 2.8

Other kit included SB-800 flash, Hama Star 20 tripod, sekonic 308s

If anyone hears of this up for sale, can you alert me pls?

Secondly, a note of caution, most car insurance covers just €500 of personal effects. Don't leave your gear there overnight !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

both cars stolen .... ...what kind of cars were they ?

Do you have serial numbers for camera gear ? Any distinguishing marks or pics of gear etc.

Where do you live ? (General Area).... Chances are that they probably wont even notice the camera gear.....will check my local camera shops/Pawn Brokers and will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Thanks. Live in North County Dublin, but that's no guarantee of where the cars or camera kit will end up. Most likely into a skip !! Posted more in hope than confidence as I wanted to warn people about what the car insurance covers and recommending that folks take their kit out of the boot at night-time !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I hope your things are recovered, not a nice thing at all. Camera insurance next time? Very cheap considering the value of equipment.

I hope your things are recovered, not a nice thing at all. Camera insurance next time? Very cheap considering the value of equipment.

Thanks. I do have some kit listed on my home insurance which I hope will cover some of it. Any recommended special photography insurance schemes & caveats to be aware of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I use Steve @ Photoshield. Now I'm covered full whack so mine is 50ish a motnh but if it is just equipment it is likely to be half that or less. I have public liability and professional indemnity also though.

As for replacements check out adverts.ie for second hand if you are on a budget. I'm sure we'll all keep an eye out for your equipment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sorry to hear your horror story :eek:
    Do you have any of the serial numbers?

Also, could you give the best description of the items stolen, i.e. camera bags, condition, and kind of marks etc?

I'll keep an eye on Adverts for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

Do you still have the box from the nikon equipment? In the box there should be a guarantee card with the serial number of each piece of equipment.

Ring all the camera shops you can think of and tell them if they get any offers of trade ins or secondhand sales with the same serial numbers to contact you.

I work in the Camera Centre in Blanch so I'll keep an eye out for it. People have tried to sell us stolen goods before so it's totally worth your while.

Sorry to hear about it all btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

If you don't work professionally, you can list the stuff and add it to your house insurance. I put about 6k worth of equipment (including laptops and that sort of thing) on to mine for 120 p.a.. That said, I haven't tried to claim yet, so I can't really comment on it.

In other news, my purse was taken yesterday when my sister left it on the roof of my car :( Not two cars and a load of camera equipment, but I'm on unpaid maternity leave, I really could have done without the loss :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 kayakboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Can anyone recommend for camera insurance? (is that allowed here?...) As it happens need to set up contents insurance too (must check with landlord first to see if its included).........been meaning to insure camera with a while:o

What a bummer tho, 2 cars in one night n ur gear too:eek:

• Advertisement

Quackles wrote: »
    If you don't work professionally, you can list the stuff and add it to your house insurance. I put about 6k worth of equipment (including laptops and that sort of thing) on to mine for 120 p.a.. That said, I haven't tried to claim yet, so I can't really comment on it.

In other news, my purse was taken yesterday when my sister left it on the roof of my car :( Not two cars and a load of camera equipment, but I'm on unpaid maternity leave, I really could have done without the loss :(

insurance is invalidated under those circumstances. Leaving something in a car overnight is not seen as 'due care' and you get nothing.

I was warned of this when I added my camera to the house insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

that's awful, sorry to hear.

i was recommended a place called PJT insurance services, i got a quote for about €6,000 worth of body and lenses and it was something like €250 a year. a photographer friend uses them and said they're good- don't know if he's made claims though

Folks

Am very grateful for the messages posted.

attached is the list of kit and serial numbers, think I have them right but would appreciate a steer if I have them wrong.

Nikon D80 - No. 8028597
    Nikkor AF-S DX 18-135 - No 2281130
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 - No. 0563858
    Nikkor AF-S VR zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 - No 2163281
    Nikkor AF Micro Nikkor 105/F2.8D - No.L 3425634
    Nikon SB800 Speedlight - No 2802578

kayakboy wrote: »

kayakboy

thanks for spotting. I had a look and the seller has the original Nikon box in his image (I have all the original boxes). So looks like this seller has nothing to do with happened me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Sorry to hear, that some top gear so it might stick out when people try to pawn it off, best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

You should pop into Gunns and Conns and anyother camera shop in Dublin that buy secondhand camera gear, and alert them to the fact that you're gear was stolen, they might keep an eye out for you.

Advertisement