Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent film discussion thread locked

Options
  • 29-08-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

All week on the film thread people have been complaining that there are too man "best/worst/favourite" etc lists threads cropping up, I start one about how 1999 was a great year for movies to get a bit of discussion going:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055664222

And its generating a nice discussion/civilised debate until this poster:

Paul_Hacket

Adverts | Friends

When I saw the title of this post I honestly thought it was someone taking the piss. Seriously, 1999?

Most of the titles on that list are just further examples of the bland teen-oriented crap we've had to endure since Spielberg and Lucas ate Hollywood in the late 70s (Office Space is a deadly satire I'll admit, but it's not exactly a 'benchmark' film).

I'm not knocking the OP but the guy above who said he preferred 1939 was bang on the money in my book. It's widely agreed by film critics and historians that there hasn't been a strong period of artistic excellence in US cinema since the late 70s/early 80s, when the 'auteur' directors of that period (Scorscese, Coppola, Polanski, Ashby, etc) were locked out by a Hollywood that was much more interested in producing a handful of hyper-budgeted blockbusters per year rather than the larger number of smaller more personal films that those guys had been allowed to produce previously.

If you look at all the movies on the OP's list their average budget, even in 1999, would be well over $50 million. When budgets get that high artistic risk-taking basically goes out the window as there's just too much at stake for the backers - they need a movie that audiences in dumb-ass redneck America are going to be able to relate to so we end up with one special effects **** fest after another.

Office Space was a goodie though.

Comes in and starts insulting everyone elses taste in movies, posting personal abuse after someone comments on a post:
    Excuse me gob****e, but where did i say ANYTHING even remotely racist in my post? Seriously, wtf are you takling about? I really have to insist you explain yourself or take it back you wanker.

and again:
    Their films are all surface gloss, mood and blather, however I sincerely doubt you have the ability to critically asses anything if you can read my post and somehow come up with the idea that I'm a racist, you twat.

I'd have given you a more civil and considered response if you hadn't just called me a racist for no apparent reason whatsoever. Idiot.

A few posters including me responded with the implication that the poster would get banned for personal abuse as per the charter, but not only has he not been banned, the thread has been closed and I've recieved an infraction for "backseat modding" heres my post:
    There Will Be Blood, Zodiac, Seven, Boogie Nights, Jackie Brown were made by "fanboy hacks?" thats just laughable

oh and ban in 3...2...

(as I imagine the other posters who did the same did too) I didnt insult this guy in any way and because of his actions a thread that was trying to get an actual discussion going is locked, as someone else already put it the film thread isnt busy enough to refuse threads at this stage, and the fact the poster wasnt banned is surely against the forum charter? I've seen people do the "oh prepare to be banned" comment on dozens of threads, I've said it jokingly myself before without ever it being mentioned never mind infracted for it, I usually wouldnt report anything like this because hey, its only a forum but that really annoyed me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you discussed this with the mod in question via PM?

That's normally the first step we recommend :)

Advertisement