Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives filling up

Options
  • 29-08-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

So i get an email today telling me 50 more people have applied for it and places will be randomly selected next friday, knowing my luck iwont get it so all other electives will be full what are u supposed to do?? I dont want to be landed with a boring elective..:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Join the queue theres more than twice the number registered for mine than it takes!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

ditto :(

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Got the same email, are you guys now showing 10 credits short because you haven't been selected for those electives yet?

I'm 10 credits short, but can't figure out why as I've registered for everything, my only guess is that I'll have to wait for this random selection before my registration status shows as complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

failsafe wrote: »
    Got the same email, are you guys now showing 10 credits short because you haven't been selected for those electives yet?

I'm 10 credits short, but can't figure out why as I've registered for everything, my only guess is that I'll have to wait for this random selection before my registration status shows as complete?

From the registration page
    The Reg 09/10 column indicates the number of modules you are registered to this academic year. 'Provisional' electives do not count here until after provisional allocation on 5th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I got this in an email the other day:
    [FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']CVEN30110 - Transportation Engineering

Capacity: 5 general elective places.

This module is currently oversubscribed and places will be randomly allocated.[/FONT]
    OK ... :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah.... there's about 55 places for the Psychology elective I chose.
    Well over 200 people have signed up for it...

On the plus side, there's 100 places fro Teanga na Gaeilge and only about 60 took a place so far. That's awwwright so. Didn't expect there to be too much demand for it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

the music elective i picked only has 3 places and so far 14 have applied... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

Ive a slightly different question, i picked an in-program elective and on the little side bar thing saying how much of everything you are registered to, it lists it as core/option. Because of the other elective being provisional i now seem to be registered to 55 core/option and 0 electives. Will this sort itself out or will i have to go to the program office?

Raemie wrote: »
    Ive a slightly different question, i picked an in-program elective and on the little side bar thing saying how much of everything you are registered to, it lists it as core/option. Because of the other elective being provisional i now seem to be registered to 55 core/option and 0 electives. Will this sort itself out or will i have to go to the program office?

I'm in the same situation. One of my electives is also an option module so mine is showing a 55/5 split.

I found this on the registration page
    Certain in programme electives may count towards your core requirements rather than elective - this does not mean that your registration is incorrect.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Certain in programme electives may count towards your core requirements rather than elective - this does not mean that your registration is incorrect.

So does that mean that it does in fact count as an elective, or not?

• Advertisement

I don't see why it wouldn't but i never did get confirmation of it.

You can go to one of the assisted registration labs this week if you're unsure

I have to talk to the program office about some other stuff anyway so i might mention it then, but i'm not worried about it anymore :) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Raemie wrote: »
    So does that mean that it does in fact count as an elective, or not?
    Not sure where you're coming from. You have core courses and electives: with your core courses, you may have some limited choices, depending on your degree programme e.g. Omnibus degrees. Once those are satisfied, you have to take additional courses to make up the credit numbers to 60 per stage, and those are called electives. There should be no confusion whether a course is an elective or not - it says so in the SIS registration system.

Whether the course is in-programme or not doesn't come in to it, it's just that you can choose to do an in-programme elective to "go deeper", or not. If you do, you have some advantages e.g. no schedule clashes with lectures or exams, since the whole programme is planed for. More knowledge of your subject, which can feed back in to your core subject knowledge. Disadvantage: less of that eclectic "university experience", if you believe in that sort of thing.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

In my thing at the side of the reg page it says core/options out of 100 and electives out of 20, a total of 120 for 2nd and 3rd year. Im supposed to pick 50 core and 10 electives this year and the same next year but it currently says 55/100 and 0/20. thats why i was wondering if it was going to be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Do we only get sent an e-mail if too many people have applied to our chosen elective?

I haven't heard anything (good, or bad) from UCD about the elective I chose. No e-mails or anything.

bnt wrote: »
    Not sure where you're coming from. You have core courses and electives: with your core courses, you may have some limited choices, depending on your degree programme e.g. Omnibus degrees. Once those are satisfied, you have to take additional courses to make up the credit numbers to 60 per stage, and those are called electives. There should be no confusion whether a course is an elective or not - it says so in the SIS registration system.

Whether the course is in-programme or not doesn't come in to it, it's just that you can choose to do an in-programme elective to "go deeper", or not. If you do, you have some advantages e.g. no schedule clashes with lectures or exams, since the whole programme is planed for. More knowledge of your subject, which can feed back in to your core subject knowledge. Disadvantage: less of that eclectic "university experience", if you believe in that sort of thing.

In my case i had most of my core modules preselected and i had to pick one module out of a choice of three as my last core.

For one of my electives i picked another of the option modules and the credit for that elective is being counted as an option/core module.

It states on the page (i quoted above) that this isn't an error

If the attached screenshot you can see the Computer Sci for Engineers is showing up under option modules and electives

samsamson wrote: »
    Do we only get sent an e-mail if too many people have applied to our chosen elective?

I haven't heard anything (good, or bad) from UCD about the elective I chose. No e-mails or anything.

What does it say under status on your registration page?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

- Subjects/Streams completed.
    - Core / Options still required.
    - Electives still required.
    - Labs/Tutorials completed.

Core/Options still required is because I'm not able to pick by 3rd year subjects yet.

Advertisement