Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce Laptops

Options
  • 27-08-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Anyone think the supposedly discounted commercre labtops are a bit steep at 780euro.

anyone found a better deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nonnah-semaj

COM_90 wrote: »
    Anyone think the supposedly discounted commercre labtops are a bit steep at 780euro.

did u need to get microsoft office enterprise aswel??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 COM_90

did u need to get microsoft office enterprise aswel??

its all included with anti virus and warranty for 3 yrs.
    2GB RAM
    250 GB hard drive
    wi fi ..blue tooth.. carry case.. etc

its a HP PROBOOK 4515
    good or bad deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nonnah-semaj

I personally thought it was a bad deal!!!

I got a compaq wi 3 gigs f RAM and a 160 hard drive for 448 in harvey norman the otr day!!!

Also if u search software for students on google a sponsored microsoft link will come up and u can but office enterprise 2007 for in and around €50!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mick T

2GB RAM
    250 GB hard drive

its a HP PROBOOK 4515
    good or bad deal ?

its a bad deal i reckon, the 3 year warranty is what is giving the little bonus of that offer in that it will take you through your whole course if you come into trouble.
    Iv went on the dell site and im gona purchase from there, you can build from scratch to suit the spec you need! prices are reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

2GB RAM
    250 GB hard drive

its a HP PROBOOK 4515
    good or bad deal ?

Well i got this

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/asp/versions.asp?rewrite=Samsung_R520_laptop_NP-R520-FS02UK&pagetype=version&page=

for 600 euro. Specwise it blows that laptop out of the water :o (512Mb graphics too :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

The only handy thing about the commerce laptop deal is that you have tech-support for them in the building. If a fault of some sort occurs, they can usually do the software fix in an hour or so and most basic hardware problems in a day.

However, if you do intend to avail of this, backup regularly. The "software fix" I'm referring to is restoring the laptop to the configuration it had when you got it - that is, wiping everything you put on the hard drive. It does fix most software problems, but it can leave you in a bit of trouble if you don't have backups.

Either way though, my advice would be this - backup everything remotely important on your laptop regularly - at least once a month - to DVD or external HDD. For documents you're currently working on, keep an up-to-date (no more than a day old) copy of them on your flash drive. This can be a lifesaver if your laptop dies the day an assignment is due. I know more than one person who has failed courses or even a semester due to a crashed laptop that took all their work with it.

Also, mods: split this little chat off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You don't control me!

...but yes, I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I'm in Science but I really want to know, is it really nessessary to have a laptop for science, loike??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Was checking it out for the lil bro. Same one is €426 plus €20 delivery from laptops direct, another €50 for office + you've saved €200. You only get a one year warranty but all in all far better value doing it yourself or getting a better machine altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

dajaffa wrote: »
    Was checking it out for the lil bro. Same one is €426 plus €20 delivery from laptops direct, another €50 for office + you've saved €200. You only get a one year warranty but all in all far better value doing it yourself or getting a better machine altogether.

Pretty sure the quinn ones are 3 years with next day repair? Or has that changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Pretty sure the quinn ones are 3 years with next day repair? Or has that changed?

Yup afaik, that's the only difference between getting it yourself + getting it through quinn. Not worth €280 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

As I mentioned in the other thread, and as has been mentioned above, the main plus of buying through Quinn is the warranty and the support through ILTG which over my years there, I used numerous times and I would consider myself fairly tech savvy.

Also you can get all the memory and storage in a laptop that you like but the chipset and the processor is what you want to be looking at - I saw so many of my classmates get the Celeron Dells and they weren't able to run very well a couple of years later. Remember that you want the laptop to last 3-4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

just got myself a toshiba... L500 13V... i think. but its pretty slick... 4gb ram 250gb hard drive... the works. got it with 3 year warranty and antivirus for just over 600 in DID. but that took haggling

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

got it with 3 year warranty

What sort of 3 year warranty. A "bring it upstairs in Quinn warranty" or "a give it back to DID and get it back in a week or two warranty"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shimmy!

I'd just like to add that ILTG are absolutely useless... i wouldn't go near them without the recommended laptop as they will eat your head off. Scary stuff. I'd say most Quinn students have had a bad experience with them:mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It does sound like some of their policies are a bit idiotic - such as not recognizing mac's hard-booted into Windows as PC's for example. On the other hand, probably the level of uniformity that the course requires in terms of software is higher anyway...

I wouldn't advise people to skimp on a laptop. You're better off getting a well-speced machine rather than skimping and being sorry for it after:

Max out the memory - 4GB is the minimum I'd put into any machine nowadays. Memory is cheap and makes your life easier. Go for a slower processor (though not a worse one like a celeron or sempron) and buy more memory instead if you're stuck.

I wouldn't buy any machine with a dual-core processor these days. End of story.

If it's your primary machine, then a dockable model (and dock, monitor and keyboard) may be handy to have at home or in res.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Never underestimate the challenge of supporting 2000 students with laptops on Windoze who install any of a thousand applications some of which conflict with each other. There does seem to be Macs with XP around. Probably it would be better if everyone had a dual boot, a vanilla one for class and their own one which they could set up as they wish for their own applications. RAM is always a good buy on a machine, but remember that if you have more than 4GB you need a 64 bit version of Windows to be able to use it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Microsoft say the 64-bit version of Windows 7 is going to be the standard version :)

Advertisement