Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeat exams grrrrrrrrr

Options
  • 29-08-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

ok just need to get this off my chest, i hate exams at the best of times but repeat exams are the worse.
    im going into 4th yr (final year) and ive a repeat exam from 2 nd year valuations, its so annoying! passed all my third year exams(including 2 valuations exams) and failed this bloody exam again!
    il be honest its not even a very tough exam i just cant get my head around it!
    anyone else got repeats......wanna vent some anger!!!!??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MikeyCyrus

least you havn't got swine flu... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

this is true!
    although if i did get swine flu i could avoid sitting the exam, but then again id have to repeat it next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MikeyCyrus

i wouldnt know what your going through coz im only going into year 1 :/ well good luck in your exam anyway :)

thanks, hope you like dit, i love it, was in maynooth but dropped out.
    one piece of advice, do not fail exams its not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Exam tip: go through past papers. They're invaluable as a resource and also show you questions or types of questions that come up regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Exam tip: go through past papers. They're invaluable as a resource and also show you questions or types of questions that come up regularly
    I can relate to that. My Irish Media History exam this year was the exact samr exam as the 2007 one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Voltwad wrote: »
    I can relate to that. My Irish Media History exam this year was the exact samr exam as the 2007 one :)

i had a programming exam on friday and it was the exact same as the summer one. was well chuffed about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

It happens all the time. There's only so much variance in questions they can ask about a 12 week course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

All my second year exams were a good bit different to
    the previous years.

Some people I know thought they had ****ed up the papers
    because some sections were removed or changed radically.

I think this is down to the new people heading the school of
    Computing. Be careful, they can change the format at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Agreed with projectmayhem, past papers are an excellent resource and most modules have a trend to help you selectively study if you're pushed for time...

Although i also know the feeling Naikon as i've had a few exams where the lecturer has played away from the past papers dramatically - horrible feeling when you turn over a paper to see this! I had a module where the past three years exam was the exact same on both the summer and supplemental - the fcuker fancied a totally different format this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fravbront

how did you get to 4th year with a fail from a 2nd year subject? im worried i may have failed my valuation repeat, from 1st year, is there any way i can get through to 2nd year and have another go next year?

as far as i know if you fail a repeat from 1st year you will have to repeat the year, not sure of the reason but think the reasoning behind it is.....if you cant pass first year then your not ready for 2nd year. after 1st year again as far as i know you can repeat a subject up to 4 times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

eveie wrote: »
    as far as i know if you fail a repeat from 1st year you will have to repeat the year, not sure of the reason but think the reasoning behind it is.....if you cant pass first year then your not ready for 2nd year. after 1st year again as far as i know you can repeat a subject up to 4 times

No that's not true. Generally, at the discretion of the board/head of school you may enter 2nd year (or any year) should you have not less than 50 ECTS. There's other factors involved too such as how well you did in other exams and exactly what exam(s) you failed. But the reasoning above is not true.

Also, even if you did fail, say 2 repeats. You don't have to repeat the whole year if your not allowed to progress. You generally only repeat those modules unless you have failed a lot of modules. The rules differ however between the various schools.

Advertisement