Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bolton V Liverpool [mod warning post #309]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Shocking performance. Too much arsing around with the ball when we have it in front of goal. Gerard shows the team how it's done. Shoot when you have a chance not try and walk it into the net. 3-2 against a ten man Bolton is some feat for a team who've won 5 European Cups. Sad :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Sloppy defending from LFC but we played Bolton off the pitch for the 90 mins.. Great performance all round in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I couldn't see Johnson being this influential in an attacking sense so early in the season.

Shoot when you have a chance not try and walk it into the net.

In fairness he'd a few chances to do it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Shocking performance. Too much arsing around with the ball when we have it in front of goal. Gerard shows the team how it's done. Shoot when you have a chance not try and walk it into the net. 3-2 against a ten man Bolton is some feat for a team who've won 5 European Cups. Sad :-(

it wasn't a shocking performance. It was a shocking defensive display, especially from Carragher.
    I thought Riera, Kuyt, Johnson and Torres (in the second half) did well.

And who said Lucas is no replacement for Alonso. That's one sending off he's induced so far this season. plenty of time for some more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

3 points is what we needed. Big improvement needed still though. By the end we could of had 2 or 3 more except for alot of messing around in their box.

Was watching it on a stream so it was hard see but can anyone tell me if that sending off was deserved?

Also what formation was that we had today? Seemed we started off as usual but was it changed to 4-4-2 later on Gerrard seemed like a central midfielder and Kuyt was up front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Lovely three points, feels good to win at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Bodes well for my Fantasy Football - have all three of our scorers! Johnson is quickly becoming an excellent signing.

Seriously need Carra replaced. I'd take Krgyiakos and Skrtl in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Carragher was terrible today, indeed hes been brutal all year. I'd be worried about that Kyrgiakos fella. Its early doors, but while he looks decent in the air, he looks like he could be a liability on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

:ooh dear.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Also what formation was that we had today? Seemed we started off as usual but was it changed to 4-4-2 later on Gerrard seemed like a central midfielder and Kuyt was up front?

i think it was more off a 433 than usual. Gerrard was being marked out of the game so Lucas was playing further forward than him.

In fairness he'd a few chances to do it today.

I know and he scored one of them. We seem to try and walk the ball into the net A LOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

2 goals and 2 assists for Johnson so far in 4 games :D:D:D

Also loving the criticism of Torres - just 3 goals and an assist so far in 4 games. :D:D:D

Bandit12 wrote: »
    :ooh dear.

Ha ha ha. Cool :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

3 points is what we needed. Big improvement needed still though. By the end we could of had 2 or 3 more except for alot of messing around in their box.

Was watching it on a stream so it was hard see but can anyone tell me if that sending off was deserved?

Yes the sending off was a little harsh maybe but was just rewards for the roughhouse tactics of the whole Bolton team over the 90 minutes.

And who said Lucas is no replacement for Alonso. That's one sending off he's induced so far this season. plenty of time for some more

+1 great performance from him today, just slotting into the position nicely. Theres been a few teething problems with the team etc but heading in the right direction now, look more and more threatening going forward.

+1 great performance from him today, just slotting into the position nicely. Theres been a few teething problems with the team etc but heading in the right direction now, look more and more threatening going forward.

Hmm I dont know yet you have to remember that second half was against 10 men. More shots needed once in the box rather than pricking about with it.

it wasn't a shocking performance. It was a shocking defensive display, especially from Carragher.
    I thought Riera, Kuyt, Johnson and Torres (in the second half) did well.

One word - Bolton

Hmm I dont know yet you have to remember that second half was against 10 men. More shots needed once in the box rather than pricking about with it.

True The Vorinator could have scored a couple of times, he had a couple of chances to put it away some improvement needed there alright, was actually the first match I've seen him put in a half decent game, we need goals though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Defensively we don't have too many options at the moment, so we will have to stick with Carra for the time being. Overall not too much wrong, a few tweaks here and there and we will be sorted. The Greek looks handy enough and can possibly give us some much needed threat from corner kicks.

True The Vorinator could have scored a couple of times, he had a couple of chances to put it away some improvement needed there alright, was actually the first match I've seen him put in a half decent game, we need goals though.

I'd have said we need to concede less!

Scoring 9 in 4 games isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'd be worried about that Kyrgiakos fella. Its early doors, but while he looks decent in the air, he looks like he could be a liability on the floor.

aka Mr. Skrtel vs H&W
    ;)

paul larry wrote: »
    aka Mr. Skrtel vs H&W
    ;)

I nominate this for the "most relevant comparison" post of the year.

One word - Bolton

They've been our bogey team for years now!

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Defensively we don't have too many options at the moment, so we will have to stick with Carra for the time being. Overall not too much wrong, a few tweaks here and there and we will be sorted. The Greek looks handy enough and can possibly give us some much needed threat from corner kicks.

Yep Cara hasnt been good at all so far. Noticed again today he was trying to cover for everyone and get every ball himself. At one stage Kyragiious needed someone to head back to and where cara should of dropped off he goes towards him for the same ball :confused:

Really hope Agger can get over his injuries at the minute. Future pairing of Skirtel and Agger looks likely.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »

Weve missed many many chances to score. But the defense is a bit all over the place at the minute.

noodler wrote: »

Agreed we were discussing what players do once they receive the ball in or around the box, there seems to be a bit of fapping around. Acceptable of course once we can continue to keep scoring.

Weve missed many many chances to score. But the defense is a bit all over the place at the minute.

True, but you could say that about any game. We are only making an issue of it, IMO, becasue we are not winning.

1 Clean sheet in 4 is not what we have come to expect of Liverpool in recent years.

Agreed we were discussing what players do once they receive the ball in or around the box, there seems to be a bit of fapping around. Acceptable of course once we can continue to keep scoring.

Also true.

Ah f*ck it. We won. So I'm happy. Bring on the beer :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

The sending off was harsh and changed the game for us, up to that for all possession we had created little although once they went to ten men we completely dominated and should have scored more,but its three points and may kick on now for the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have no problem with the way Bolton set themselves up to compete. You are allowed to get stuck into the opposition and wreck havoc from setpieces. Tis allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

2 thoughts that came to my mind after todays match

1. we would have won the league last year if we had glen johnson at right back, great signing if he can keep the form up.

2. put cavalieri in goals and put reina in midfield, the mans passing is on a par with a certain recently moved basque. :pac:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have no problem with the way Bolton set themselves up to compete. You are allowed to get stuck into the opposition and wreck havoc from setpieces. Tis allowed.
    100% agreed. The likes of Stoke and Blackburn and countless others have had to to the same to compete over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2. put cavalieri in goals and put reina in midfield, the mans passing is on a par with a certain recently moved basque.

Well he played there before.

paul larry wrote: »
    aka Mr. Skrtel vs H&W
    ;)

Haha, point taken. Though I do think theres a bit of a gulf in class between Skertl and Kyrgiakos tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

the sooner all our the defenders are back the better..

the Greek lad looked decent enough in fairness to him but Carra is really annoying me now... I'm afraid of every corner that comes in again!

Johnson has been unreal and i have absolutely no worries about him( Peach of a goal!) but I'm not so sure about Insua. He's obviously a talent but i really hope Aurelio comes back soon just for cover at least.

Lucas and Masch were fine today... what you'd expect. Really pleased with Lucas going forward but his shooting is really poor at times. Really needs to compose himself. He really needs a confidence boost in that department.

Gerrard was pretty quiet really. Missed a lot of chances but he got the winning goal and thats all that matters i suppose.

Kuyt had a poor 1st half but really picked it up in the second... great touch for the Torres goal.
    Riera was alrite... needs match fitness. Benny did well when he came on.

Torres isn't playing well. His touch is sloppy and he takes too much out of it sometimes but he still has 3 goals in 4 games! I'm looking forward to when he gets up and running.

The last 10 mins of the game was crazy. What was with all the passes in the box. especially for torres chance off the line Gerrard had the chance to shoot so did benny i think and vorinin.

Anyway i'm delighted we won and for the first time in a while happy for an international break. hopefully a few injuries will clear up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

defensively liverpool look a shambles atm, they must be drinking whatever the arsenal boys were last year ;)

of course its a brand new defence, no aurelio, no skrtel, no agger, no arbeloa but still, if liverpool play like that today against arsenal, chelsea or utd then you would be talking double figures

flahavaj wrote: »
    100% agreed. The likes of Stoke and Blackburn and countless others have had to to the same to compete over the years.

Of course it's allowed. but it would be nice if they had something else about them too.
    Bolton had it under Allardyce. And so do Stoke - better teams than they're given credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Is it just me who would like benitez out?? Im sick of him to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How would this fix anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

sisco wrote: »

No it's not just you and i really wonder why people think we should sack him..

He's doing a great job and I'll leave it at that

I want the league, will make no bones about it. However you have to recognise what he has achievd for us CL wise.

Even the most staunch Rafa-wary fan , which I have been at times, would recognise last season is the closest we have come to the PL. With that in mind I could only assume you want him sacked on the basis of 4 games this season,

Think it through.

tok9 wrote: »
    the sooner all our the defenders are back the better..

the Greek lad looked decent enough in fairness to him but Carra is really annoying me now... I'm afraid of every corner that comes in again!

Johnson has been unreal and i have absolutely no worries about him( Peach of a goal!) but I'm not so sure about Insua. He's obviously a talent but i really hope Aurelio comes back soon just for cover at least.

Lucas and Masch were fine today... what you'd expect. Really pleased with Lucas going forward but his shooting is really poor at times. Really needs to compose himself. He really needs a confidence boost in that department.

Gerrard was pretty quiet really. Missed a lot of chances but he got the winning goal and thats all that matters i suppose.

Kuyt had a poor 1st half but really picked it up in the second... great touch for the Torres goal.
    Riera was alrite... needs match fitness. Benny did well when he came on.

Torres isn't playing well. His touch is sloppy and he takes too much out of it sometimes but he still has 3 goals in 4 games! I'm looking forward to when he gets up and running.

The last 10 mins of the game was crazy. What was with all the passes in the box. especially for torres chance off the line Gerrard had the chance to shoot so did benny i think and vorinin.

Anyway i'm delighted we won and for the first time in a while happy for an international break. hopefully a few injuries will clear up!

I love him but the lad even at his age is cooked,we should be starting with agger and skyrtle every match when fit.Hes just not up to it anymore,they also give us a much more comanding presence in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What's with all the 'I'm glad we got the win, first in a while' type comments. We thumped Stoke don't forget!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What's with all the 'I'm glad we got the win, first in a while' type comments. We thumped Stoke don't forget!! :)
    Did anyone catch Sounesss's comments. About our zonal system. Highlighted the fact that there were six pool players marking "space" inside the penalty area for Bolton's first goal. Quite amazing when you see the goal again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Utterly clueless. Take up hurling/some other sh*ite sport full of clueless part time fans. Absolutely embarrassing if you're a red.

It took Mr.Ferguson ten years to achieve what Rafa did in one and about six years to win a league title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

fkt wrote: »
    Utterly clueless. Take up hurling/some other sh*ite sport full of clueless part time fans. Absolutely embarrassing if you're a red.

It took Mr.Ferguson ten years to achieve what Rafa did in one and about six years to win a league title.
    Dont be taking your wrath out on hurling or their fans dude. Nothing to do with your beef with poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Did anyone catch Sounesss's comments. About our zonal system. Highlighted the fact that there were six pool players marking "space" inside the penalty area for Bolton's first goal. Quite amazing when you see the goal again.

Lawrenson blamed zonal marking for BOTH bolton goals tonight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Dont be taking your wrath out on hurling or their fans dude. Nothing to do with your beef with poster.

There was a hurling tournament on in my town today and they had to so some silly march through the town - in the process, THEY WOKE ME UP! I have every right to be angry with them :)

• Advertisement

As much as I prefer Soccer, the fitness levels needed for GAA and hurling are a bit higher in my opinion.

Advertisement