Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy and employment.. does anyone knows?

Options
  • 29-08-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi girls,

It's me again..
    Another decission I have to make.. I have only recently started working for a new employer.. maternity policy and all is in place here..but I am still in probation period.. i found out I was pregnant when I was working here only for 2 weeks..
    Wondering.. does any of you know how this work.. when do I have to tell the employer I am pregnant and am I title of time off to go to my medical appointments ect.?
    Thanks again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lemontree

If they have a maternity policy in place there, you should be able to take days off for appointments as long as you give two weeks notice. I think you dont have to tell your employer you are pregnant until you are around 6 months pregnant, but I told everyone at work as soon as I found out so its up to yourself really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

This very same thing happened to me, I practically got pregnant the day I started the new job!

I'm still on a 6 month probationary period and had a 3 month review. Nothing was mentioned about my pregnany at the review and as long as your pregnancy does not impact on your performance at work, you cannot be descriminated against for being pregnant. ie. they can't let you go at the end of your probabtionary for being pregnant.

You are entitiled to time off for appointments, I'm not sure how much notice you need to give though. The citizens info website http://www.citizensinformation.ie will give you all the info you need.

I don't think you need to tell your employer that you are pregnant until about 12 weeks, but that depends on the type of work you do. I'm a nurse working with a lot of cytotoxic drugs and also a lot of manual handling is involved, so obviously to protect myself and my baby I had to tell my employer. I have to say that they have been very accommodating to my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

Hi Elle13,

A lady in my office became pregnant not long after joining company. She had all her entitlement as any other pregant ladies. It is up to you to decide when you want to tell your employer. Don't worry about it, enjoy your pregnancy.

Advertisement