Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chocolate ice cream recipe

Options
  • 29-08-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

OK. I have milk, cocoa powder, eggs, suger, creme fraiche, nat yogurt.

Is it possible to make an easy to make choco ice cream out of any of the above. I am completely useless at how i could make some?

Any help?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Ok, so with your ingredients it's not going to taste as good as it could. To make home-made chocolate ice cream you really need real chocolate and real cream. But I am going to give you some ideas based on the ingredients you do want to use. So start by making a chocolate custard base. Note, I have not tried this, but this is what I would do with your ingredients!

Ingredients

1 pint warm milk
    3 egg yolks
    ½ cup sugar
    2 teaspoons cocoa powder
    Creme fraische

Method

1. Beat the egg yolks lightly with the sugar and slowly add the warm milk.
    2. Place on a low heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
    3. Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder. Taste immediately. Add more sugar/cocoa if needed. Remember your creme fraische has a sour edge to it so make sure the chocolate custard is sweet enough to offset it.
    4. Allow to cool completely.
    5. Fold in some creme fraische til you have a thick consistency.
    6. Presuming you don't have an ice cream maker, put in a plastic container and freeze. Go back to it every hour and beat to avoid crystallisation. Within 4-6 hours it should be ready to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Cheers i have piced up real chocolate! and have gotten a carton of crem and double cream.

Would i use the same method excpet with the chocolate melt it and use the cream instead of creme fraiche?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Sorry, didn't see this question. Now you have real chocolate and cream here's what you should do!

Try this, but it's a bloody long process and you might wish you'd just bought a tub of B&J!

500ml whole milk
    500ml cream (any kind)
    40g cocoa powder
    250g dark chocolate (minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids)
    6 egg yolks
    150g caster sugar

1. Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan to just below boiling point then take off the heat. Make a paste of the cocoa powder by mixing it in a mug with a little of the heated milk and cream. Add the paste to the saucepan and whisk continuously over a very low heat for four to five minutes in order to cook out the powdery taste of the cocoa.

2. Break up the chocolate and put in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring from time to time until the chocolate melts (or do it in the microwave but don't let it burn, that'll wreck it). Add the chocolate to the pan and stir until everything is combined.

3. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar, then add the warm milk/cream and return the mixture to the saucepan. Heat the custard on a low to medium heat, stirring continuously, and if you have a food thermometer, let it get to 80C and maintain for 15 seconds. If you don't have a thermometer just be very careful - don't allow the mix to boil, or it will scramble.

4. Turn off the heat and continue whisking for a few minutes to reduce the heat. Transfer the mixture to a plastic container, and place in a dish filled with ice to cool the custard as quickly as possible, and stir it regularly.

Once the mixture has cooled, cover the container and place in the fridge overnight. Next day do as I described before, freezing and beating it every hour til it's ready.

Let us know how you get on!

Advertisement