Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub to bring non-Irish visiters

Options
  • 29-08-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

They're coming soon, so I guess I'll be kind of seen as the host or something lol:pac:

Anyway, I'm thinking it's O'Donoghues (the one just off baggot street) or Kehoe's but I'm leaning more to O'Donoghues, maybe even Cobblestones for the traditional music thing. I think I'll avoid Temple bar, (we all know how it can get:D)

I'm open for suggestions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I had a gang over a while ago, depends on the age group, these were late twenties and I took them to The Hairy Lemon, they seemed to like it. Temple bar is good if you go early and then head off further South at around nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I wouldn't bring them to Temple Bar. the prices being charged down there are disgustingly high. Keogh's, The Long Hall and the Cobblestone spring to mind as really great pubs. O'Reilly's tara st. station and Doyles (college green) are very good too. If they're looking for something kinda clubby but not actually a club (if you now what I mean) the South William might be an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd usually head to The Porterhouse earlier on in the evening before it gets too packed, then depending on what they like musicwise, I'll try steer them towards Sin E across the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

The Stag's Head (basement) is perfect for tourists due to the atmosphere and music - If you can find a seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Toners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

I’ve always wanted to bring my foreign relations/visitors to the Merchant O’Shea’s. not only is there live Irish music, they also have set dancing. Some good characters there too.

And you have the Brazen head just across the road.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Are you going the trad/ballad route?.

Either way I'd avoid Templebar purely on the basis of it being way, way over priced and nothing else.

I like the atmosphere of Camden St & Wexford St.

If your thinking of The Cobble Stone, give your visitors a treat - bring them to Kilmainham Jail first, then do Collins Bks museum then head around to The Cobble Stone pub - they'll thank you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Wow, this is great stuff, thanks so much for the info guys!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Definitely this. I'm from Dublin and I'd love this! Haven't been to Kilmainham Gaol in yonks, will it still be as enjoyable as I remember?
    Are you going the trad/ballad route?.

Either way I'd avoid Templebar purely on the basis of it being way, way over priced and nothing else.

I like the atmosphere of Camden St & Wexford St.

If your thinking of The Cobble Stone, give your visitors a treat - bring them to Kilmainham Jail first, then do Collins Bks museum then head around to The Cobble Stone pub - they'll thank you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Definitely this. I'm from Dublin and I'd love this! Haven't been to Kilmainham Gaol in yonks, will it still be as enjoyable as I remember?

Visited Kilmainham gaol last week with visitors after not been there for 10 years! Was gobsmacked how many overseas visitors there was compared to native visitors. It's still as emotional,enjoyable as ever and certainly well worth an annual visit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

Avoid the "trendy" places. Some good suggestions. I'd throw in Grogans, the Foggy Dew, McDaids, Sackville Lounge, The Long Stone, Hogans,The small Ron Blacks and The Palace in Temple Bar. As expensive as Temple Bar is don't write it off, a thursday or a sunday night can be great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Dame Tavern on Sunday afternoon early evening....musical treat. Ain't saying anymore than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

*Tripper* wrote: »

If you haven't visited the gaol in "yonks" you'll love the changes, esp. the interactive multi-media museum (I think thats how its possibly described) just before the tour starts.

I've been a few times, and without fail the tour never fails to move me.

Grab a taxi across the Liffey to Collins Barracks Museum then to tie up the pieces then a walk around to The Cobble Stone pub to finish off a very pleasant day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Could go Gaol then walk through Irish Museum of Modern Art in the RHK, stop for coffe there then a walk down to Ryan's on Parkgate for lunch and a pint, then up to Collin's Barracks and then one stop on the Luas to the Cobble Stone.

Or rent a bike in the park (fiver for the hour, tenner for all day) instead of Collin's barracks and work up a thirst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Salvelinus wrote: »
    I'd throw in Grogans,

If you do go here, ask the bar staff to show your pals the photo of Gainor Crist behind the bar - Crist provided the central character model for JP Donleavy's "The Gingerman", and used to frequent Grogans.

Advertisement