Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Sim + HTC Hero = Sim No Service

• 29-08-2009 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm terribly sad :( I've had my unlocked HTC Hero (purchased from ebay) for 2 days now, and have been using it with my Meteor Sim/WiFi.

Today I went off and bought myself a 3Pay Sim so I could start using the 3G features, but when I turn the phone on it says "Sim No Service" and when I manually select the 3 network it says "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network"!

Anyone got any idea whats going on? The Hero is a 3G phone of course. I am reading some stuff about 3 blocking non-3 handsets, but every thread seems to have some posts saying "it worked for me" and 3 do say themselves that you can bring any unlocked phone to them by buying a 3 Sim.

Call centre don't have any ideas so I thought I'd ask the real experts.

Edit

Just tried the new Sim in my old phone and it won't turn on: "Card error!". But it is not a 3G phone so perhaps that is to be expected? Or perhaps the Sim is just faulty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Could you try the 3 sim in another unlocked 3g phone, it may well be a faulty sim.

How come you dont want to use the meteor sim>?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭a_l_a_n

Davy wrote: »
    Could you try the 3 sim in another unlocked 3g phone, it may well be a faulty sim.

How come you dont want to use the meteor sim>?

I don't think I know anyone who has an unlocked 3G phone ...

Meteor don't have a full 3G network do they? Just EDGE no? Also 3 suits me as I can go PAYG and just purchase the 1Gb data addon for 9.99 p/m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

you may not be in 3g coverage and you may need to be in coverage to activate the sim.

nazoil wrote: »
    you may not be in 3g coverage and you may need to be in coverage to activate the sim.

Hmm ... The coverage map shows my Dublin Suburbia St. covered in light blue (3G indoors) ... hmm ...

Sim works. Just tried it in a Nokia 2630 and was able to call it. Yet my Hero still refuses to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i dont know what it is with these 3 sims. they are SO picky.

i tried it in an iphone 3g and it wouldnt work. meteor, o2, voda, non eu sim all worked.

it never worked in an htc trinity while others did.

it doesnt work on wm6.1 in my acer dx900 yet works if its on wm6.5

i think its the 3 sim's fault. i tried another 3 sim, same story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Spipov wrote: »

i tried it in an iphone 3g and it wouldnt work. meteor, o2, voda, non eu sim all worked.

It's not the 3 sim that is picky..3's sim are slightly different to the other networks, they are infact a USIM and for 3G ONLY. It's the slight difference that makes them not work in some handsets

Walkman wrote: »
    It's not the 3 sim that is picky..3's sim are slightly different to the other networks, they are infact a USIM and for 3G ONLY. It's the slight difference that makes them not work in some handsets
    There seems to be more to it than that though ... As Spipov said, it didn't work on the iPhone 3G he tested on and many other people out there have said similar.

I asked a guy from customer services why they can't guarantee that the data services will work on non-3 phones (something which they stress so its obviously a known issue) and he said something about software but I think he was bull****ting a bit ...

You no longer now need a 3 phone, that is why the do sim only packs for everything except contract broadband, I think the reason they say about the data not definatley working is bacause of the network settings (3 do not send these out by text so they have to be manually inputted)

data might be something. its easy enough as you only have to input the APN and its 3ireland.ie with no username or password.

the thing the OP and i are saying is there is no service, ie, the sim finds no network whatsoever, so data doesnt even enter the equation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I have a 3 sim working in a trinity, maybe it's a chip difference?

Just phoned 3 and they refuse point-blank to even try to help. Perhaps being all the way over there in India the support staff don't realise how competetive the mobile market is over here.

a_l_a_n wrote: »
    Just phoned 3 and they refuse point-blank to even try to help. Perhaps being all the way over there in India the support staff don't realise how competetive the mobile market is over here.

You will probably find that any network will give you the same response if the phone is not supported by the network

I feel I should temper this a little after a second call. Still no result, but the guy I spoke to this time seemed much more willing to try and help, although all he could tell me was that the Sim is active and suggest that I try it in a 3 handset.

data might be something. its easy enough as you only have to input the APN and its 3ireland.ie with no username or password.

the thing the OP and i are saying is there is no service, ie, the sim finds no network whatsoever, so data doesnt even enter the equation!

Please read the post previous to the one I have commented on before you comment on mine. Data most certainly did enter the equation as the OP said 3 CS would not guarantee that DATA SERVICES would work in a non 3 phone

Please read the post previous to the one I have commented on before you comment on mine. Data most certainly did enter the equation as the OP said 3 CS would not guarantee that DATA SERVICES would work in a non 3 phone
    I agree with Spipov Walkman ... At the moment the issue is getting any network at all! The Sim does not register with the 3 network, and I don't see how mis/un-configured data services could cause that. And, as I think I said above, the Sim registered with the net when inserted into a non-3, non-3G phone, so it can get connected in the absence of data services.

That last point makes me think this is a handset issue, although all the other posts I have found on similar topics seem to blame the network.

Are all sims created equal?

I mean, I know there are different types, but in terms of physical layout ...

Attached is a photo of two sims. The red is my Meteor one which works in the phone (sans data services). The white is the problematic 3 one.

Look at the scrape marks where the sim is in contact with the phone. The section of the 3 sim at the bottom of the image seems to be barely (if at all) in contact with the phone. I have tried to show this in place in a second image, but its not all that clear. If the connector is making contact with this section of the chip, its doing so right at the very edge.

Any chance this Sim could be just physically incompatible with this phone, perhaps because the chip was glued on slighlty out of place or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

If the connector is making contact with this section of the chip, its doing so right at the very edge.

Any chance this Sim could be just physically incompatible with this phone, perhaps because the chip was glued on slighlty out of place or something?

It does look to be the case alright, does anyone know a SIM (USIM) that looks the same but works in a 3 mobile? With data?

Well that puts me off the Hero, It was on my short list of next upgrads and i'm on three.... Darn.

Another 3 representetive has told me that the account needs to be topped up before I can connect to the network. I had of course considered this, but it seems like a pretty ****ing stupid idea to throw good money after bad ... there should be no need to have credit to connect to the network; only to send texts/make calls.

I have now tried a third Sim in the Hero, this time from O2, and it works (by works I mean can connect to the network and receive calls).

I think the problem is the combo of Hero and 3. Individually they both seem fine.

A development. After posting the last message I put the phone back together and turned it on and I got a damn connection!

It was a roaming connection but a connection nonetheless. I even received a message (mythree.ie password) during the brief period I had it. But it was brief, and after maybe 30 seconds it dropped again and I am now I am connectionless again.

I don't know which network I was roaming on, but I think it may have been Vodafone (it is they from whom 3 lease 2G services in Ireland right?). Also, and I've only just really noticed this now, Vodafone is not listed as one of the available networks when I scan, which is obviously not right.

What is going on 3???

• Advertisement

What is going on 3???

Stuff like this is why their aren't to many fans of three. Anything simple outside of the box just doesn't seem to happen easy with 3! Some might say quit now as the hassle might not be worth it! Edge isnt that bad

Davy wrote: »
    Stuff like this is why their aren't to many fans of three. Anything simple outside of the box just doesn't seem to happen easy with 3! Some might say quit now as the hassle might not be worth it! Edge isnt that bad
    But there is also the price to consider. I would use very few calls/texts, so their cost can be discounted, and for me its all about the data plan. On Meteor/O2/Vodafone it will cost about E30 p/m (99c p/d), whereas with 3 1Gb (which Im sure will last me a month) is just E10.

If that what you want, guess you will have to keep up the battle! :pac:

A development. After posting the last message I put the phone back together and turned it on and I got a damn connection!

It was a roaming connection but a connection nonetheless. I even received a message (mythree.ie password) during the brief period I had it. But it was brief, and after maybe 30 seconds it dropped again and I am now I am connectionless again.

I don't know which network I was roaming on, but I think it may have been Vodafone (it is they from whom 3 lease 2G services in Ireland right?). Also, and I've only just really noticed this now, Vodafone is not listed as one of the available networks when I scan, which is obviously not right.

What is going on 3???

same thing happened. maybe 2 mins of connection before it dropped again..

god knows what happens and why it cant keep the 3 connection..

Also, and I've only just really noticed this now, Vodafone is not listed as one of the available networks when I scan, which is obviously not right.

What is going on 3???

You do not need to top up the account to connect to the network. Also there is nothing wrong when your doing the network scan. 3 sims are pet up to show vodafone as 3. If you do the scan and see 3 3G X 2 and 3 2G X 1 the 2G and one of the 3G is in fact vodafone. In that respect the sim is actually performing as it should. Is there an option for 2G only, 3G preferred or 3G only? Try 3G only see if that helps

You do not need to top up the account to connect to the network. Also there is nothing wrong when your doing the network scan. 3 sims are pet up to show vodafone as 3. If you do the scan and see 3 3G X 2 and 3 2G X 1 the 2G and one of the 3G is in fact vodafone. In that respect the sim is actually performing as it should. Is there an option for 2G only, 3G preferred or 3G only? Try 3G only see if that helps

No, the only options are "3", "Meteor" and "O2 - IRL", all of which result in the same "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network".

@Spipov Just to clarify, the connection that I had once briefly was not to 3 ... it was roaming so I assume it was to Vodafone (beit 2G or 3G I don't know for sure, but I assume 2G).

This is so frustrating. I wish some domain expert from 3 would help me but all I can get access to are manual monkeys.

Lady in the 3 store just made what may be a salient suggestion. She says maybe orange have put some nasty firmware on the phone which blocks other 3G networks. A possibility do you think?

I had of course thought of reflashing but decided to put it off as long as possible so as not to void the warranty (which incidentally HTC claim has already been done just by unlocking the phone! ... am awaiting a copy of said warranty). But armed with this thought I reckon I'll try it tonight unless anyone's got a better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Lady in the 3 store just made what may be a salient suggestion. She says maybe orange have put some nasty firmware on the phone which blocks other 3G networks. A possibility do you think?

I had of course thought of reflashing but decided to put it off as long as possible so as not to void the warranty (which incidentally HTC claim has already been done just by unlocking the phone! ... am awaiting a copy of said warranty). But armed with this thought I reckon I'll try it tonight unless anyone's got a better idea?

I severely doubt that. It should connect to the 2g 3 network (really Vodafone) but since it doesn't then maybe ask them to replace the SIM?

i doubt that. i had all kinds of generic roms on my htc trinity and it never worked.

iphone was fully unlocked as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

eek this doesn't sound positive for my plan of 3 and hero :-/

does anyone have this combo working? was particularly interested in 3's data plan with this phone

Advertisement