Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Sim + HTC Hero = Sim No Service

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭a_l_a_n

Adro947 wrote: »
    I severely doubt that. It should connect to the 2g 3 network (really Vodafone) but since it doesn't then maybe ask them to replace the SIM?
    Tried the sales woman's 3 Sim ... found no networks whatsoever (perhaps it just needed more time).

Tried a friends Meteor Sim with data plan ... got 3G/EDGE data.

If I go to the phone info page (using the anycut app) and choose the "Select radio band" option from the menu, and press "EURO Band" (or any other band for that matter) it says "Set [EURO Band] Unsuccessful".

Relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

a_l_a_n wrote: »
    If I go to the phone info page (using the anycut app) and choose the "Select radio band" option from the menu, and press "EURO Band" (or any other band for that matter) it says "Set [EURO Band] Unsuccessful".

Relevant?

I wouldn't think so if you're getting 3G/EDGE on Meteor.

Have just flashed to the HTC ROM and no joy. Just after starting up I held the roaming network for the longest time yet, but it still dropped and I still cannot connect to 3.

Has anyone any ideas?

Is there any way to verify that the 3G stuff on this phone works and that its not a dud (given that 3 are the only proper 3G netowrk over here I can't just go and get a Sim from some other provider).

This ****ing sucks frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

a_l_a_n wrote: »
    Have just flashed to the HTC ROM and no joy. Just after starting up I held the roaming network for the longest time yet, but it still dropped and I still cannot connect to 3.

Has anyone any ideas?

Is there any way to verify that the 3G stuff on this phone works and that its not a dud (given that 3 are the only proper 3G netowrk over here I can't just go and get a Sim from some other provider).

This ****ing sucks frown.gif

A phone will indicate whether it's on a 3G network or not. So any network will do. Are you sure this phone supports 3G? It should show a 3G or H symbol when connected to a 3G network. Also check if there's a "GSM only" setting that's set as you can't access Vodafone's GSM/GPRS in some areas. They'd be populated areas like Dublin or Cork...

• Advertisement

Adro947 wrote: »
    A phone will indicate whether it's on a 3G network or not. So any network will do. Are you sure this phone supports 3G? It should show a 3G or H symbol when connected to a 3G network. Also check if there's a "GSM only" setting that's set as you can't access Vodafone's GSM/GPRS in some areas. They'd be populated areas like Dublin or Cork...
    If the HTC Hero doesn't support 3G then I feel grossly misguided! No, it does: Dual band UMTS/HSPA (UMTS 900, UMTS 2100)

There is a "Use only 2G networks" option but its not checked.

I'm wondering if there is some setting not accessible in the normal manner which might be relevant ... Something that you might need the anycut app or similar to reach. Any experienced Hero users have an idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Volker

I'll crosspost this from forums.xda-developers.com... If you want me to see your reply then please post there: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=555424&page=2

I am using a 3 Ireland "3pay" prepaid SIM with my white Hero (completely unlocked, imported from UK). Works fine! I got the "mobile broadband" prepaid package about a year ago and had to buy a usb modem (sitting on my desk ever since) with the sim card.

You need to enter the 3ireland.ie APN, but no other magic incantations :-)

Occasionally, I get the "Roaming" indicator in the notification bar on the Hero (weak signal might cause this). Then, clearly, no internet. Its not roaming with another provider either. I strongly suspect that this is a 3 bug. Reconnecting to the 3 network fixes it.

PS: I'm in Dublin and usually get a HSPA connection ("H" icon)

PPS: You do not need to top up your 3 sim in order to connect to http://my3.three.ie (indeed, on that web page you can enter your prepaid voucher #).

Advertisement