Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap quality of local radio stations in Cork

Options
  • 29-08-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

I am absolutely sick to death of the duopoly of 96 FM and Red FM...Aside from pirate radio stations of course and the scarcely listened to Loopy-Life FM, these are both as bad as each other!

I'm sure its a pre-requisite that you have to have had a lobotomy to listen to 96 FM, such is the mixture of bad,outdated, cheesy music and their inane and annoying presenters - Nick Richards, that fake American sounding guy and the just plain infuriating Prendeville. I am amazed that there is such a high listenership for such a poor-quality station. Just three words to settle the argument - Oldies. And. Irish.

Red FM is in the other extreme, a station that shamelessly tries to be 'hip' and just alienates everyone in the process. You could just imagine someone in a marketing department there coming up with 'Green/Black/Pink on Red' thinking its genius! They basically just play the top 40 and other crap consistently, which would be grand for a 2/3 hour slot but its for the whole day! The breakfast show just plays dance and r n b music all the time with those idiots in between,that is not a breakfast show! And don't get me started on Vic Barry and cork talks back...:mad:

/rant

I never switch now from Today FM, which has at least some variety, 2FM (which has excellent music at night) and Newstalk which has interesting presenters and incisive reporting(and granted some tabloid trash too!)

Anyways, does anyone agree with me here? Do we have piss poor local radio, or is it a case of the people getting what they want? (in which case the population must be 60 year old biddies or 15 year old scobes listening to 96/Red Fm respectively)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Pumpkinseed

i 100% agree with everything your saying completly!

There needs to be more variety!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

+1

especially on 96fm

loving newstalk now especialy Tom Dunne and Sean Moncrief

Prenderville is so badly researched and ran it reminds me of faulty towers,funny but sad,oh its hilarious, he's so badly informed, and does'nt even know it, especially on sports,
    pityful,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

I can't wait for the day when Neil "My wheelie bins Neil!!" Prenderville is no longer on the air waves. I for one will be rejoicing in the streets when that day comes... naked, doing the helicopter with my private parts.. my life will be so much better.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

I am absolutely sick to death of the duopoly of 96 FM and Red FM...Aside from pirate radio stations of course and the scarcely listened to Loopy-Life FM, these are both as bad as each other!

I'm sure its a pre-requisite that you have to have had a lobotomy to listen to 96 FM, such is the mixture of bad,outdated, cheesy music and their inane and annoying presenters - Nick Richards, that fake American sounding guy and the just plain infuriating Prendeville. I am amazed that there is such a high listenership for such a poor-quality station. Just three words to settle the argument - Oldies. And. Irish.

Red FM is in the other extreme, a station that shamelessly tries to be 'hip' and just alienates everyone in the process. You could just imagine someone in a marketing department there coming up with 'Green/Black/Pink on Red' thinking its genius! They basically just play the top 40 and other crap consistently, which would be grand for a 2/3 hour slot but its for the whole day! The breakfast show just plays dance and r n b music all the time with those idiots in between,that is not a breakfast show! And don't get me started on Vic Barry and cork talks back...:mad:

/rant

I never switch now from Today FM, which has at least some variety, 2FM (which has excellent music at night) and Newstalk which has interesting presenters and incisive reporting(and granted some tabloid trash too!)

Anyways, does anyone agree with me here? Do we have piss poor local radio, or is it a case of the people getting what they want? (in which case the population must be 60 year old biddies or 15 year old scobes listening to 96/Red Fm respectively)

You hit the nail on the head there big cheese! Neil Ponderville is the biggest koke ever yet compares himself to the likes of Jerry Ryan. Do you see Neil presenting a TV show? NOPE! I remember a while back there was a huge debate on the show about the pay the Defence Forces get and that it should be cut. I was livid!:mad::mad: I was really tempted to ring up the place and tell them to get their facts right. I was just so peeved off because I serve myself nad they have no idea what the rigours of our training are. It's funny aswell how they never seem to get the music cues for the news right and their headlines are funny out. I just listen in the mornings because it cheers me up that I'm by far not the slowest person around! RED FM? Give me R Na G anyday it's so bad!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You hit the nail on the head there big cheese! Neil Ponderville is the biggest koke ever yet compares himself to the likes of Jerry Ryan. Do you see Neil presenting a TV show? NOPE! I remember a while back there was a huge debate on the show about the pay the Defence Forces get and that it should be cut. I was livid!:mad::mad: I was really tempted to ring up the place and tell them to get their facts right. I was just so peeved off because I serve myself nad they have no idea what the rigours of our training are. It's funny aswell how they never seem to get the music cues for the news right and their headlines are funny out. I just listen in the mornings because it cheers me up that I'm by far not the slowest person around! RED FM? Give me R Na G anyday it's so bad!:D

Woah woah woah slow down now lad dont you know he has his own show on that channel south or whatever its called. His mentioning of The Boardwalk every day is ridiculous, its amazing paying advertisers are happy with it.

Red FM is equally as bad, the presenters on both stations are ridiculously poor, the clown on Red FM plays his "video of the day" on the radio, the one that stands out is the Narcoleptic Dog from youtube played about 90 seconds and all you could here was the audio from the video, what was the point of that?

I'm abroad now but when I head back the ipod will definitley be coming with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ninty Sh*t FM has been deprogrammed from all my radios for a long time, I still have to listen to it from time to time though, which reminds me just how amateurish the station is. Just a few examples, why Bin Laden could choose 96 for his next target, and I wouldn't be worried :

Ken Tobin. He can't go more than 3 words without saying 'eh'. I'd love to record his show and just edit out everything but the eh's. I reckon there's a full hour of him saying eh, and laughing like a moron.

The voiceover guy. He sounds like a paedophile. Voiceovers like that went out in the 80's, not to mention the cheesy dance beat he has in the background on every jingle, and of course he has to say "Cuuuuuurks 96fm", not "Corks 96fm". And there's at least 2 self promoting jingles every ad break to brainwash you into believing that 96 is great, and not banal.

Then there's the choice of names for competitions and slots. They always have to rhyme, or use aliteration. Ken's Weekly Whacky Question, the Cash Call, the Street Fleet, Wayne in the Plane - a child could be more imaginative.

Then there's the music. It's a time warp to the past. Are they afraid of chart music, or alternative genres? Colin Rae, Van Morisson and the Lighthouse Family are not the cutting edge of musical taste.

And then there's the DJ choice. Nick Richards in the morning is about as annoying as one person can get, he's 200% british, which I don't have an issue with, but the british elite/toff sense of humour isn't funny. And not at 8 in the morning either. Ken's a moron, and don't even get me started on Seamus who sounds like a GAA coach.

Piss poor station, with shocking music, childish marketing and jingles, and possibly the worst choice of DJ's I've ever heard. They're worse than RTE for hanging onto dead wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

nice rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm not a big 96fm fan but I do enjoy Red fm.

Cork Talks Back with Victor Barry is my favourite so long as there are good discussions on it. Also there's a better chance of winning prizes because not as many people listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Don't know how Neil Prendiville has been getting away with it all these years. He must be the most intensely aggravating little man. I always turn the radio off if he happens to be on and NEVER deliberately tune into 96 FM as a result of him.RED FM is fine, from the little I listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

96fm is hilarious! as paintdoctor said the lighthouse family isnt cutting edge music! neither is simply red!,

people may complain about red fm but they wont change anything,they have numerous awards for different shows,and are the most popular radio station for (15?-34? year olds i think) a very odd age group,

its weird driving down the link at 6am when its deserted with kc and lenny on the radio,they should be on much later in the morning when more than about 12 people are awake!

today fm and 2fm only seem to have good signal in certain areas of the city so i cant listen to them,

red fm=good
    96fm=bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Since when does 96 fm have music,I tohught they only had the fugitive thing during the day *L*.

Last year when I was doing work experiance in an office 96 fm was only played and omfg...I was crying for another channel to be put on.All they did was have a randomer on the phone saying where they thought the 96fm fugitive was!

Red Fm is ok,they do need to expand their music a little but meh.

A good one I have to admit is C103,They play mostly old music how ever but they have some great presenters.

Something funny I have to say about Neil Prendavil.He went down to Hillybillys for lunch one day and a bunch of lads from my school saw him and jsut began to throw chicken at him,Hailing him as **** :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Just for your information, Prendeville's first name is pronounced "Niall." Ha ha it doesn't half get his goat.

when you add in the fake yank in the morning and the 1/2 english scottish snooty(don't ask where i got that word from it just came into me head) news birds it could be called pie-ball fm a mix-em match-em if there ever was

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

The amount of adds is what makes it impossible for me to listen to either radio station.

Victor Barry's program makes me sad to think that we have such an abundant supply of complete goamers living in Cork. Anyone listen to the show about sexual fantasies a few weeks ago? Half the lads that rang in were probably on the sex offenders list!
    "I'd like wan of dem treesums vic, ya like. ja-know dats really uh my ting like" -who wants to hear sh!t like that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Charlie Wolf used to be good and then they replaced him with that muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Bring back Freak FM (again)!
    Curse you COMREG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I hate 96fm, absoulute ****e. That presenter with the put-on american accent really irritates me as well. I remember when my dad drove me to school in the morning he'd have 96fm on and i swear they would play the same songs every morning and these were'nt songs in the chart some of them were 80's and 90's songs.

As for Red fm i think it's alright. I like the Red Rooster but i hate Stevie G (he's like the irish tim westwood) and Retards Talk back with Victor Barry is nearly always brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 StephenP023

96fm pick out 5 songs and play them over and over again all day long they really need to stop playing **** music they should play new songs by other musicians instead of hearing "Brittney Spears' new song" I don't give a **** about her nobody does, play some rock some actual music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

These are COMMERCIAL radio stations, catering to the mass market. They are a business! No one is forcing you to listen. If your into a genre of music that a radio station doesn't play then whats the point of listening to it. Surely the one off shows every week cater for it. If a commercial local radio station played to the niches 24 hours a day, then it'll go belly up.

RedFM is on where I work all the time and to be honest its not as bad as people are making out. Plenty of support for Irish artists, at one point I was sick to the back teeth of hearing Fred on the station. Victor Barry is quite good IMO and more times than not we get a kick out of the show on the night shift. I dont really hear the breakfast show (sleepy times) but for the best part its easy radio listening in general. Same goes for 96. Dont hear Prendiville that often, but he's good at what he does and your always gonna hear an oldie song on 96 which is good for a bit of nostalgia now and again and my mother loves the whole oldies and irish thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Moved to Cork about 4 years ago now and I have been complaining about the quality of the radio stations down here since I arrived :) 96 FM, Red FM and County Sound are all dire, from the music to the DJs.

Neil Prenderville's voice is depressing, he should be in the Dail!!

But, by far the worst show of all is 'Cork talks back with Victor Barry', they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Have always been a Today FM fan, won't be switching to any Cork stations anytime soon :)

Moved to Cork about 4 years ago now and I have been complaining about the quality of the radio stations down here since I arrived :) 96 FM, Red FM and County Sound are all dire, from the music to the DJs.

Neil Prenderville's voice is depressing, he should be in the Dail!!

But, by far the worst show of all is 'Cork talks back with Victor Barry', they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Have always been a Today FM fan, won't be switching to any Cork stations anytime soon :)

But TodayFm play the same music as 96 or Red. I Would listen to Ray Foley the odd time, although Darcy grates on my mind :) Why is Cork talks back scraping the bottom of the barrel?

wiseolsham wrote: »
    But TodayFm play the same music as 96 or Red.

The only Today FM DJs who play music remotely close to 96 or Red are Ray Foley and Tony Fenton.

Ian Dempsey has a good mix of chat, competitions and of course Gift Grub. His music is widely varied and promotes a lot of Irish artists and also plays a lot of light rock such as David Bowie and The Jam.

Ray D'Arcy is mainly chat, has a great team behind him and is very funny and witty. His music is quite light, modern and doesn't play any dance crap.

Ray Foley is very funny, his music would be quite similar to some of 96 and Reds, but it's very varied and he has lots of interaction with the listeners.

Tony Fenton prob has the widest variety of music, he plays everything from the current top 10 to the music from the 60's and 70's.

Matt Cooper is in a league of this own really, doesn't really fit in with what the rest of Today FM is about but he's good all the same.

Paul Mc Cloon (not sure about spelling) promotes lots of Irish bands and artists and has a great knowledge about the type of music he plays. Very easy to listen to as well.

Alison Curtis should be doing Paul Mc Cloons spot (in my opinion), though I'm sure she'll have a more prime spot on the station some day.

Today FM is in a completely different league to Red and 96.

Plus, Today FM's DJs have personalities...not like 96 or Red.

Why is Cork talks back scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Because they talk about the most stupid and pointless things. I accidentally came across it while switching to Newstalk some weeks back and they were talking about the Angelus on RTE 1. There was a guy on saying that it should be gotten rid of as it wasted 1 minute of his time every day but yet she was happy to waste her time and money ringing Victor to complain about it! Complete non nonsensical crap...

Cheers for the reply. Different strokes for different folks I suppose!

Cheers for the reply. Different strokes for different folks I suppose!

Oh yeah, good to debate about it...

The canteen lady is constantly switching the radio to 96 FM, anytime I go in I switch back to Today FM, really gets up her nose but it's all good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Ninty Sh*t FM has been deprogrammed from all my radios for a long time, I still have to listen to it from time to time though, which reminds me just how amateurish the station is. Just a few examples, why Bin Laden could choose 96 for his next target, and I wouldn't be worried :

Ken Tobin. He can't go more than 3 words without saying 'eh'. I'd love to record his show and just edit out everything but the eh's. I reckon there's a full hour of him saying eh, and laughing like a moron.

The voiceover guy. He sounds like a paedophile. Voiceovers like that went out in the 80's, not to mention the cheesy dance beat he has in the background on every jingle, and of course he has to say "Cuuuuuurks 96fm", not "Corks 96fm". And there's at least 2 self promoting jingles every ad break to brainwash you into believing that 96 is great, and not banal.

Then there's the choice of names for competitions and slots. They always have to rhyme, or use aliteration. Ken's Weekly Whacky Question, the Cash Call, the Street Fleet, Wayne in the Plane - a child could be more imaginative.

Then there's the music. It's a time warp to the past. Are they afraid of chart music, or alternative genres? Colin Rae, Van Morisson and the Lighthouse Family are not the cutting edge of musical taste.

And then there's the DJ choice. Nick Richards in the morning is about as annoying as one person can get, he's 200% british, which I don't have an issue with, but the british elite/toff sense of humour isn't funny. And not at 8 in the morning either. Ken's a moron, and don't even get me started on Seamus who sounds like a GAA coach.

Piss poor station, with shocking music, childish marketing and jingles, and possibly the worst choice of DJ's I've ever heard. They're worse than RTE for hanging onto dead wood.
    Best rant I have seen in a long while! I actually think RedFM do a credible job at giving us an alternative to 96fm which I agree with you is a crap and old station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I hate 96fm, absoulute ****e. That presenter with the put-on american accent really irritates me as well. I remember when my dad drove me to school in the morning he'd have 96fm on and i swear they would play the same songs every morning and these were'nt songs in the chart some of them were 80's and 90's songs.

As for Red fm i think it's alright. I like the Red Rooster but i hate Stevie G (he's like the irish tim westwood) and Retards Talk back with Victor Barry is nearly always brutal.

You may hate Stevie G (I quite like him myself) but the thing is he is about the only person on radio in the whole city that knows his music, his show on Saturday nights is a better reflection of his huge huge knowledge of black music. No one can equal him on that with Ashley Keating from the Frank and Walters being the only one to come close (but not on black music).

even if you do like what they have on sat nights.........doesn't say much for the other times and days of the week

so i think the consensis is radio is sh!te in cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Anyone listen to the two idiots on c103 from 7-9am. Colm and Sarah they think they are hilarious. Your man keeps harping on about his family and the private things they do that listeners shouldn’t or don’t want to hear about.

Advertisement