Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On my timetable some tutorials/practicals just say weeks:6????

Options
  • 29-08-2009 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Some say weeks:1, 3, 5, 11............

i assume the ones that say weeks:6 mean i only attend on the 6th week?.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

pseudo_23 wrote: »
    Some say weeks:1, 3, 5, 11............

i assume the ones that say weeks:6 mean i only attend on the 6th week?.....

no, it means 6 tutorials, so one every two weeks for a semester. the weeks just haven't been specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pseudo_23

then for example, on mondays i have a tutorial and all it says is weeks:6

How am i supposed to know if i am supposed to attend on the 7th or not?. :confused:

then for example, on mondays i have a tutorial and all it says is weeks:6

How am i supposed to know if i am supposed to attend on the 7th or not?. :confused:

it will be on your timetable anyway.
    i say, for the sake of ambiguity, just turn up the first few weeks at the time & place. or ask the lecturer.

you cant do a tutorial on your 1st day if you havent done a lecture, it has to mean that i only do that specific tutorial on week 6

you cant do a tutorial on your 1st day if you havent done a lecture, it has to mean that i only do that specific tutorial on week 6

it's highly unlikely to be on the first week
    the only occasion i've come across where it does go ahead on the first week was 2nd year physics practicals. but not a tutorial, unless the lecturer decides to use that time for an extra lecture. but you'd be notified if that was the case.

there's also a weekly timetable in the Information for Students section on SISWEB that is more specific than the calendar on registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

go into ur SIS thingy, then when youve clicked into it, go into student information at the top, it will give you your week by week timetable for the first semester(thanks to the person on boards who told me:))

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

it's highly unlikely to be on the first week
    the only occasion i've come across where it does go ahead on the first week was 2nd year physics practicals. but not a tutorial, unless the lecturer decides to use that time for an extra lecture. but you'd be notified if that was the case.

there's also a weekly timetable in the Information for Students section on SISWEB that is more specific than the calendar on registration.
    i should have read your post properly before i said that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

How come some of my physics/ chemistry labs don't appear on my timetable yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Yeah the tutorials won't start on the first week but they will run for twelve weeks covering six different topics, you'll be required to attend once every two weeks for twelve weeks so you'll have six tutorials per semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

The UCD semesters are in sets of numbered weeks.

We start with week 1 on 7th september, week 2 starts on the 14th, week 3 on the 21st etc. etc. You'll get the hang of asking people what week it is rather than what the date is.

lectures are usually every week " sem1: All weeks"

Labs and tutorials will often be on even or odd weeks only and this will be indicated as "sem1: even weeks"

if something is more erratic as in your first post it will only have hours on certain weeks often odd weeks except the first week this would be. "weeks: 3,5,7,9,11"

If you have a once off practical/tutorial it is probably a project, or something that counts towards your final exam. "weeks: 6" means you have this only on week 6. (12th-18th October) Since this is halfway through the semester I'd guess it's a midterm exam..enjoy :P

for more info on the week numbers check out the student registrar

EDIT: @michaelrsh: Check that you've gone through the UCD module and elective lab/tutorials menus of SIS and have selected lab times. If you have and still expect lab/tutorial times they are pre-set ones. Science and engineering sometimes give these to you during the first few lectures, they may want to split you up into smaller groups or they may not have registration sorted. Don't worry too much about it, just make sure you attend lectures for the first week and if you still want to know pop down to science/eng office and ask them there, they're usually very friendly.

• Advertisement

all my timetable says is research farms practical weeks:6

I;m taking that as meaning i attend those on week 6, its the only way the thing makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

Ok I went to the weekly timetable yoke, and it seems grand, other than the a few of my film studies slots aren't included? And I'm assuming the electives are provisional so that's why they aren't included either.

Confusing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

"Weeks: 6" = you only have this once the entire semester, ON WEEK 6!

"Weeks: 6,8,10,12" = This is fortnightly starting on week 6.

Some of your electives/labs/tutorials won't be up yet, do not panic.

Advertisement