Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Radio

Options
  • 29-08-2009 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Good evening folks,

Ok as the title suggests I wondering about DIT radio, 2nd yr journalism and media arts students will know what I am on about.

My question is, do you have to be doing journalism or media arts degree to become involved? Because I would like to be a part of this project as I'd love to get to know how radio works plus I'd love to do a bit of presenting which could be added to my CV at a later date :P
    Sadly I didnt get enough points to persue a degree of this type so I am trying to get in the back door, so to speak! ;)

If anyone has any info on the people I should talk to ie head of the school of media and such.

Please post below!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LuapSnobbig

Mr.Helpful wrote: »
    Good evening folks,

Ok as the title suggests I wondering about DIT radio, 2nd yr journalism and media arts students will know what I am on about.

My question is, do you have to be doing journalism or media arts degree to become involved? Because I would like to be a part of this project as I'd love to get to know how radio works plus I'd love to do a bit of presenting which could be added to my CV at a later date :P
    Sadly I didnt get enough points to persue a degree of this type so I am trying to get in the back door, so to speak! ;)

If anyone has any info on the people I should talk to ie head of the school of media and such.

Please post below!

Cheers!

I was wondering about that too.. Would love to get involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It's part of both degrees and is used as an assement.

The journalism end of things is usually a daily current affairs show and they do the news during the day, so they're pretty tight on time and I doubt there's anyway to get involved there.

Media Arts look after the rest of the time, so that'd be the place to go looking. In previous years it came across that they were pretty short on content for the time, but IMO that's more of a quality/quantity issue.

Again, participation in the week is graded, so I dunno if it's doable.

Shame though, TCD had a pretty successful Radio Society that handled their radio station, and operating the desk is piss easy for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

It's part of both degrees and is used as an assement.

The journalism end of things is usually a daily current affairs show and they do the news during the day, so they're pretty tight on time and I doubt there's anyway to get involved there.

Media Arts look after the rest of the time, so that'd be the place to go looking. In previous years it came across that they were pretty short on content for the time, but IMO that's more of a quality/quantity issue.

Again, participation in the week is graded, so I dunno if it's doable.

Shame though, TCD had a pretty successful Radio Society that handled their radio station, and operating the desk is piss easy for the most part.

It's a shame they can't have the facilities for media arts and communications degree people as well as facilitate a DIT SU radio station. IIRC Tallaght has a good station that invites other students in to produce shows and what not.

DIT has a prime opportunity with it's wide campus to generate a bit of revenue too if they got a community license, given their community is the city centre... i.e. prime advertising location

Yeah a mate of mine used to be involved in running the ITT radio, but he was doing the equivalent of Media Arts and from what I gather it was a similar deal but they were just more open about it.

The facilities are there alright and I don't think they're used all the time, the problem is getting a license I think. As far as I know, and I could well be mistaken, there is only 1 or 2 temporary licenses (and frequencies) for this type of project, so one week UCD use it, the next it's TCD, the next is DIT, the next is some community yoke etc.

I used to be involved in the TCD radio station, run by the radio society, and by involving anyone interested rather than a course you had some amazing content but also some terrible stuff, whereas course based stations are hopefully more consistent.

Yeah a mate of mine used to be involved in running the ITT radio, but he was doing the equivalent of Media Arts and from what I gather it was a similar deal but they were just more open about it.

The facilities are there alright and I don't think they're used all the time, the problem is getting a license I think. As far as I know, and I could well be mistaken, there is only 1 or 2 temporary licenses (and frequencies) for this type of project, so one week UCD use it, the next it's TCD, the next is DIT, the next is some community yoke etc.

I used to be involved in the TCD radio station, run by the radio society, and by involving anyone interested rather than a course you had some amazing content but also some terrible stuff, whereas course based stations are hopefully more consistent.

I'm not up on licensing so I do imagine it's a pain but there's nothing stopping an internet broadcast that goes out over the various campus canteens and SU shops

• Advertisement

I'm not up on licensing so I do imagine it's a pain but there's nothing stopping an internet broadcast that goes out over the various campus canteens and SU shops

That is very very true. I'm looking at doing something kinda similar this year, but not on such a large scale.

Great idea actually. It'd be really straight forward if the right people were behind it, the only problem might be with rights for music played, but because it's being streamed rather than broadcast I reckon the locations' IMRO memberships would probably cover public broadcasting. Hrmmm. If I wasn't in final year I'd definitely take up the cause, but maybe someone will see this thread and go for it.

That is very very true. I'm looking at doing something kinda similar this year, but not on such a large scale.

Great idea actually. It'd be really straight forward if the right people were behind it, the only problem might be with rights for music played, but because it's being streamed rather than broadcast I reckon the locations' IMRO memberships would probably cover public broadcasting. Hrmmm. If I wasn't in final year I'd definitely take up the cause, but maybe someone will see this thread and go for it.

Again I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe IMRO regulations differ slightly for internet broadcasts. It becomes a copyright issue, in which case should mean an IMRO license is cheaper. Also, it's not technically a public broadcast if it's only internally used/advertised (I assume). But ignoring copyright music, there's no reason to have a showcase of local bands and programming related to the college (i.e. give any interested societies an hour a week etc.).

If I wasn't in fourth year too I'd be all over this but if anyone wants to take the torch into the SU I'd be glad to help whenever I can

Advertisement