Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers and very pregnant

Options
  • 29-08-2009 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I applied for Jobseekers allowance at the beginning of June - I was asked back in mid July to be assessed on my husbands (self-employed) income. I am now due to have a baby in 1 week and have still not heard anything from them.

My question is,
    - should I hassle them (they never answer the phone)?
    - do I try and go and see them (it involves long walks & bus trips, bit scary at this late stage)?
    - will my claim change once the baby arrives?

Does anyone have any experience in this?

Many thanks
    One very pregnant and very poor lady!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are you entitled to maternity benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scubelle

No maternity benefit - because I wasn't working up to 16 weeks before I'm due to have the baby.
    I was self-employed and stopped getting any work, so last year I started a Masters at DCU, which I have just completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

You can only claim jobseekers - if you are available for and genuinely seeking full-time work. Do you have sufficient prsi contributions to claim illness benefit - if by chance you have a medical condition/complication from pregnancy that prevents you from working you may just qualify till delivery. Have a look for the prsi contributions required on www.welfare.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scubelle

Just in case anyone else is in the same boat as me.

It appears that you CAN still claim Jobseekers while in late pregnancy and with a newborn - the welfare office do not expect to see evidence of actively seeking work for 4 weeks before and 8 weeks after the baby is born.

Taken from
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx
    "Pregnancy is not an illness and in the absence of any complications of pregnancy or other illness, a pregnant woman (who may not be entitled to Maternity Benefit) satisfies the condition of being capable of work for the purpose of Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance throughout her pregnancy and in the period following the birth. She will also satisfy the availability condition unless there are other factors which could call her general availability for work into question. She must, however, continue to look for work throughout her pregnancy and in the period after the birth of her child in order to satisfy the condition of genuinely seeking work. A woman will not normally be requested to prove that she is genuinely seeking work in the 4 weeks immediately before the expected date of birth of her child or in the 8 week period following the birth. She will not be required to attend at the Local Office for signing during this period provided she tells the Local Office of her pregnancy." Phew!!!:)

Advertisement