Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk: Carparks to practice driving

Options
  • 29-08-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I am a learner driver with a Learner's Permit (the new name for a Prov. Licence).

Are there any good carparks in Dundalk that are suitable for learning how to drive and park? By suitable carparks I mean carparks that are big and empty and that security won't have hassle with people learning to drive in.

Sorry for the odd question but I'd like to practice a few things that I'm learning in my driving lessons in a traffic free environment before taking it out on the road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

The car park at the ice dome is pretty quiet at night and is quite popular with people teaching others to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

You could also try the carparks by the IDA industrial estate off the bypass - thats where I went back in the day - and you would be less prone to hassle from security too

Not too familiar with Dundalk, but if you've any LIDL's around you, their car parks are usually pretty perfect after they close. In my experience with LIDL, they don't have gates or anything, the only security they have is inside the store and doesn't care about outside it, and there's plenty of space, too.

I'm probably not of much help to you, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Near the swimming pool. The lighting shops and tiles estate.

it's where i'm learning to drive . It's doing me grand

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I learned up in the Cooley mountains. great for hill starts..

Can't believe Irish people are now on their P's when learning to drive! Very Ozzie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Finnabair Industrial Estate is good. Across the road from Heinz factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭GSBellew

If you are looking for somewhere during the day The Retail Park could work, go right down to the end past Atlantic Homecare and you will find a large section where nobody ever seems to park.

The old Dunnes Stores on the Ecco road could be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

GSBellew wrote: »
    The old Dunnes Stores on the Ecco road could be good too.

Yeah Right:rolleyes: Just watch out for the other cars, kids running about, and shoppers with trollies. It's far too busy there for a driving lesson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Yeah Right:rolleyes: Just watch out for the other cars, kids running about, and shoppers with trollies. It's far too busy there for a driving lesson!

Good for joyridin tho heyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭GSBellew

On a Sunday evening at least three quarters of that car park is completely empty, in no way is that too busy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

I used the JJB car park though this was before the Ice Dome was about (4 years ago) so that hole end was empty, 5 months ago my 1st lesson my instructor took me out on the Castleblayney road just before the you go up hill to the round about he let take control and went out to where there is a big hard shoulder and did a lot of stop start stuff but it gave me a lot of confidence as I was doing it on a main road.

Though if you have zero experience I wouldn't recommend it.

Also if you need an instructor I can PM you with his number, I rate him very highly especially after he got me to pass 1st time with only 3 faults last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 girseach

in the finnabair industrial park if you turn right towards the old Quantum building but instead of going into the Quantum carpark go on further towards the roundabout and down around the new buildings(sorry I dont know the name of them) my driving instructor brought me around there to practice approaching roundabouts, hill starts etc. It tends to be quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Topmanager

How about DKIT College?The car park close to the crowne plaza would be nearly empty after 5.30pm

Advertisement