Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kitten

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

We got a new kitten about a month ago. We already have an older cat, Eddie (11) who's nose is most firmly out of joint. He won't come into the house only to eat, and is growling and hissing. Today he wouldn't let me pet him and growled at me. Have I completely peed him off and will he ever love me again?Eddie has been neutered and is usually a very affectionate cat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It takes older cats a while to get used to new additions. Just be patient and affectionate and just let him come to you. My friend has had this happen a lot with her cats when she gets new kittens, some take to them, some get all humpy and refuse to come into the house (not even to eat!) but eventually come round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Nah give him some time :)

My cats have always been a bit annoyed when I brought home a kitten, but they come around to the idea eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HereKitty

Awwww....Poor Eddie!! I tried to take in a kitten without much success as mine own fella (the cat not the husband!) was very jealous. But if I had persevered I'm sure he would have come round. Make sure you have separate litter trays for both, eating bowls well away from each other, that sort of thing should help. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

Thanks for that guys. I have a litter tray for the kitten, Eddie goes outdoors. They have separate dishes. The gas thing is that when Eddie comes in to the house the kitten faces up to him, then he gets all humpy and runs away. I guess that I'll have to go buy more liver!! Poor Eddie....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ladyofthelake

You're older cat will get used to the new one and eventually the kittie will adapt and realize that this is his new home. How long? It took my cats about 2 months before they were confortable with the new one.
    One world of advice however, be sure all the cats are spayed or neutered. The older one may try to hump the kitty and the younger one may try to do it to the older one once he (if he is a he) has matured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

It just takes time
    I adopted a new kitten about a month ago & already had a 1 year old cat

At first she was very wary, little hisses to each other, some paw batting

But now they play together (until she gets irritated & pushes him off) & sleep together sometimes

But they have even started sharing a litter tray :rolleyes:

Little bit of patience & introducing them well pays off!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

If you can give Eddie some space of his own in the house it might help. Keep the kitten out of a room, so Eddie can come in and have a sleep.

Kittens can be quite challenging for older cats because they are all "PLAY WITH ME! PLAY WITH ME!"

I had to mind my friend's cats recently and it was hell integrating them with mine for the first while. After about 3 months though, the hissing and snarling had stopped, and they tolerated each other. After 5 months they could share food bowls and would give each other a little lick on the head every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, I introduced a new cat(adult) to my 8 year old cat last february and it took about four months, The cat didn't bat an eyelid when I brought home a pup last year and another few weeks back, but he didn't like the cat. He had a brother up until last summer when he died suddenly, so I thought he'd be fine.
    I kept the new cat in a dog crate at night for couple of months and shut him in the bathroom when I was out(other cat had free run of the house). This did help, and while they're not as close as he was with his brother, they get on fine and can even be found curled up on the same bed sometimes.
    It just takes time. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

Just an update on the kitten situation. Eddie still humpy and growling. He has moved up to MILs house which is next door. I very sad that this has happened, but I go a visit him and cuddle him. The kitten is grand nd spends a lot of time outside. Another fly in the ointment is the appearance of a Tom, who is coming in to our garden at night and giving Eddie a really hard time. Poor Eddie, he must feel very betrayed:( I guess I'll just have to keep reassuring him that he is top cat, but he just walks away when I go near him now....

Advertisement