Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Me Please, Advice needed badly

• 29-08-2009 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi guys. im 21 years old and currently working part time on a flexi contract composed of 25-39 hours a week. ive been in this employment for 3 years now and when i first entered i was in college studying accountancy in carlow. i didnt really like the course or job so i took 2 years out to clear my head and figure out what i want to do with my life. ive applied for a plc in carlow and have got into the course. its a full time course. i have asked my manager to reduce my hours from the high part time contract (25-39) to the low one (18-39) so i can attend this full time course. i was told no. i am and have been working 3 day weeks/ 4 day weeks doing 5-9 thurs and friday and working weekends for the last 9 months!!. i never considered it a problem to keep my job there and put myself through college as i have no grant as i did a level 6 course and am now doing a level 5. i asked my manager how she can ask me to sacrafice my education for a part time job and i was told and i quote 'you'll have to sacrafice one, simple as'. there are many people attending college where i work and i have never been shy about saying i was intending to go back to college since ive worked there. its now at the point where i dont want to leave my job, cant afford to leave it yet im being forced out because i wont be able to cover holidays for the full time staff ''in case im in college when they go on holidays'' is there anything or any1 who can help me, please im in a desperate situation and am starting to get depressed. i dont see a future in my job for me and have my heart set on my education but unfortunately i need my job for the moment to help me get through this year at the least. i should be entitled to a grant next year as i intend to go to carlow it to do the degree add on course whick is a level 7 and 3 years long, anyone have ideas? please please please let me know and thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Pjfc37 wrote: »
    Hi guys. im 21 years old and currently working part time on a flexi contract composed of 25-39 hours a week. ive been in this employment for 3 years now and when i first entered i was in college studying accountancy in carlow. i didnt really like the course or job so i took 2 years out to clear my head and figure out what i want to do with my life. ive applied for a plc in carlow and have got into the course. its a full time course. i have asked my manager to reduce my hours from the high part time contract (25-39) to the low one (18-39) so i can attend this full time course. i was told no. i am and have been working 3 day weeks/ 4 day weeks doing 5-9 thurs and friday and working weekends for the last 9 months!!. i never considered it a problem to keep my job there and put myself through college as i have no grant as i did a level 6 course and am now doing a level 5. i asked my manager how she can ask me to sacrafice my education for a part time job and i was told and i quote 'you'll have to sacrafice one, simple as'. there are many people attending college where i work and i have never been shy about saying i was intending to go back to college since ive worked there. its now at the point where i dont want to leave my job, cant afford to leave it yet im being forced out because i wont be able to cover holidays for the full time staff ''in case im in college when they go on holidays'' is there anything or any1 who can help me, please im in a desperate situation and am starting to get depressed. i dont see a future in my job for me and have my heart set on my education but unfortunately i need my job for the moment to help me get through this year at the least. i should be entitled to a grant next year as i intend to go to carlow it to do the degree add on course whick is a level 7 and 3 years long, anyone have ideas? please please please let me know and thank you

Well I'm kinda in the same boat here but luckily for me my boss is really sound so lets me work college into my work schedule.

It sounds to me though that there won't be clashes between college and your part time work. Remember you don't have to be at every lecture, as long as you get the notes and study when you can.

The problem for you is that you're going to be very tired from doing both. So it becomes an issue of you managing your time really really well. And if you willing to give up a lot of things in your life you can do both. It's not easy but it can be done.

If you want any more help/advice or whatever you can post here or pm. Hopefully I'll be able to help somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Pjfc37

yea my boss CAN help me, but is unwilling to do so in what i percieve as a personal vendetta against me, and i can work around college, i know its very demanding i did two years of college and work too before, its tough but i dont go out anymore, have a steady girlfriend and we can both study together as neither of us drink, its kind of a kick in the teeth the way im being treated but it only makes me more determined to get an eduacation because what i want is a career not a job, my only problem is i wont be able to run my car if i have to leave my job which is a major problem as i live in the countryside, its an extremely unnecessary stress in my opinion as if they wanted to help me and work around it they could, it seems they want a worker who will earn 17k gross a year (my earnings last year) in a supposedly ''full time job'' yet when my hours dropped to three day weeks in the last 8 months and i asked to be allowed sign the dole for the two missing days i was told im on a ''flexi part time pro rata contract'' and its against company policy to allow me to sign so it seems im only full or part time on the day it suits them which is extremely ridiculous as there are others on the same contract as me and they were allowed sign which strenghtens my view on the vendetta theory its unbelievable how they can do this to an employee in the 21st century it seems like they feel they can walk all over me because its a recession and i have no other possibility of another part time job, have no doubts if i could afford to leave that job tomorrow i would be gone but unfortunately, and it kills me saying this, i need it, for the moment at least :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Well man it doesn't sound like you have too many options. I mean hopefully there'll be somebody that has been in a similar situation who can help ya better. I mean its a not a good position but fingers crossed somebody will be able to share their similar experience.

I think you'll have to stick with the job by the sounds of things. Unless you can change your bosses mind.

its a work in progress im told theres a law there that they have to make some effort to help me in the terms of employment but im not sure i am awaiting a reply form my boss ill know midweek but im bracing myself and trying to prepare for the worst but honestly if it comes down to it my education is going to have to come first , its a dead end job with no guarantees of a future in it id be crazy to stay but its ideal for temporary to keep me ticking over until qualifeid you know what i mean, thanks for the bit of help and replying , :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

It's like this you have to do what is important for you. Your boss won't give you a qualification will he? Your boss will continue making more money than you but your fix you have to aim higher.

The decision is with you if he wants to let you go then fine he got his education and now its your turn. Remeber 1 or 2 hours is better than none. so if he reduces your hours you still have some thing.

But i wont really count plc as a serious course.

• Advertisement

RealistSpy wrote: »

But i wont really count plc as a serious course.
    its only a stepping stone for me to be honest. im planning to do this then go for the degree in social studies in college. your 100 percent right though ill never get anything working for people like this and ive suggested a cut in hours to them but they will not do anything to help me. the other thing im thinking is that my boss begrudes me the qualification as he/she has no real qualifications and has only worked there way to the top from the bottom over many years.

Ah ok that's cool at least you have experience in what ever you were doing. My sister is studing social studies she will be starting her masters in Trinity. Aparently the're plenty of jobs in this field especially in the Uk.

Yes theres loads of jobs in it as its so broad and you can branch out. honestly ill be looking for work in Ireland but there is still a lot of demand for social workers etc here too. also think i might have found new job which is willing to help me :)

Thats great I hope it goes well.

Advertisement