Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Me Please, Advice needed badly

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi guys. im 21 years old and currently working part time on a flexi contract composed of 25-39 hours a week. ive been in this employment for 3 years now and when i first entered i was in college studying accountancy in carlow. i didnt really like the course or job so i took 2 years out to clear my head and figure out what i want to do with my life. ive applied for a plc in carlow and have got into the course. its a full time course. i have asked my manager to reduce my hours from the high part time contract (25-39) to the low one (18-39) so i can attend this full time course. i was told no. i am and have been working 3 day weeks/ 4 day weeks doing 5-9 thurs and friday and working weekends for the last 9 months!!. i never considered it a problem to keep my job there and put myself through college as i have no grant as i did a level 6 course and am now doing a level 5. i asked my manager how she can ask me to sacrafice my education for a part time job and i was told and i quote 'you'll have to sacrafice one, simple as'. there are many people attending college where i work and i have never been shy about saying i was intending to go back to college since ive worked there. its now at the point where i dont want to leave my job, cant afford to leave it yet im being forced out because i wont be able to cover holidays for the full time staff ''in case im in college when they go on holidays'' is there anything or any1 who can help me, please im in a desperate situation and am starting to get depressed. i dont see a future in my job for me and have my heart set on my education but unfortunately i need my job for the moment to help me get through this year at the least. i should be entitled to a grant next year as i intend to go to carlow it to do the degree add on course whick is a level 7 and 3 years long, anyone have ideas? please please please let me know and thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You have to pick one, your boss doesn't owe you any favours and you shouldn't have just assumed you could keep your job.

Your boss is being a bit of a díck though, but there's nothing you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Pjfc37

there has to be some law for the simple reason that im only a part time worker and they dont have work for me and i only work weekends as is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pjfc37 wrote: »
    there has to be some law for the simple reason that im only a part time worker and they dont have work for me and i only work weekends as is
    Some laws for what? They are not obliged to change your hours to suit you.

there has to be something im only doing part time hours now!!!! im working 5pm to 9pm thursday and friday and 10-7pm weekends only problem is they want me to cover holidays during the year which is 11 weeks out year its very lousy and they are being completely unreasonable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Pjfc37 wrote: »
    there has to be something im only doing part time hours now!!!! im working 5pm to 9pm thursday and friday and 10-7pm weekends only problem is they want me to cover holidays during the year which is 11 weeks out year its very lousy and they are being completely unreasonable
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Is the course related in any way to accountancy - most employers would encourage staff re: professional development especially if those skills could be transferred to the working environment. The only thing I'd recommend is think what is in your own best interests for your future - and if you want to do your best and go to college - while you may be looking on the benefits of the job in relation to the current income that it gives you think ahead of what you want to achieve career wise - the prospects that will open from an accountancy qualification - do you want to work in your current job for the rest of your life. There are many begrudgers in the workplace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

If there the kind of people that won't play ball with you on this then you shouldn't work there

You need to formally approach the most senior person you can about this (in writting would be best) outline your problem simply, explain how you have enjoyed your time with them and that you'd appreciate their help going forward, tell them it's a now or never situation for education

again, if they don't play ball I'd walk away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There does not seem to be any difficulty in you signing up to the course. You are only going to have a problem if you are called in to cover for a full time employee during the academic year.
    You cannot use the law to force a change in your conditions. You have just met an uncooperative boss. It happens all of the time. Many people resent their co-workers acquiring qualifications. It happened to me for many years.
    In your shoes I would sign up for the course and when there is a clash I would deal with it. I would not tell the employer that I was doing the course. I did a part time degree without telling my co-workers. I had a boss who would have tried to mess me around. I did everything by opposites. If I did not want some thing I pretended I wanted it and vice versa. If I wanted to work on a particular day I would let it be known I had a commitment for that day, had bought tickets etc. He would immediately insist that I work that particular day.
    If I wanted a day off I would let it be know that I was available and hoping to work on that day. He would immediately tell me that I could not possibly work on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try the person more senior than your boss route.

If that doesn't work, then start the course, and don't resign until you really, really have to (say the minimum notice period before the day when the problem starts).

Looks for another part-time job in the meantime.

Its social studies, i have a higher cert in accounting a level 6 but have absolutely no interest in it at all to be honest. no i do not see myself in this job forever , its true there are many benefits to leaving this place in terms of my mental health, time to study etc. its just for the moment at least i need to have this income to facilitate myself to get in and out of college, i dont drink or smoke and neither does my girlfriend, we both live at home and have agreed that 4 years of hardship and a degree for me and a bachelor of science for her will give us a comfort to fall back in that we will both be qualified and please god get decent jobs. its extremely lousy to think after working there for 3 years this is how your treated but lets face it, in this current climate thats the harsh reality of life and unfortunately you can bank on the fact that im not the first person to be in this position and i certaintely wont be the last.

• Advertisement

liberal wrote: »
    If there the kind of people that won't play ball with you on this then you shouldn't work there

You need to formally approach the most senior person you can about this (in writting would be best) outline your problem simply, explain how you have enjoyed your time with them and that you'd appreciate their help going forward, tell them it's a now or never situation for education

again, if they don't play ball I'd walk away
    I'll be honest thats exactly what im thinking, its extremely harsh how they've dealt with this, they are trying to hinder me as much as they can , absolutely zero co-operation on their behalf and in light of that development i see absolutely no future for myself in this job and am even more convinced than ever that going back to my education is the right step for me.

Advertisement