Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does BT reduce the connection speed when logged on permanently?

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

I have started to notice that BT reduce my connection speed from about 3.5mb to about 1mb or less if I stay connected for a while. What is the logic behind this and is it legal?

I am on the up to 7.6 package but when I do get 3.5 then is it not contarctually the speed I should be left at?

I wonder will vodafone be any better?

And will my price go down as vodafone appears to be cheaper. I bet that changes.

I get speed back by disconnecting router and doing a reboot- not very satisfactory and I feel cheated. I also blame my kit when it slows.

gb--

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

I'm with bt on the 3meg package connected all the time and this never happens. How are you measuring your speed? Could it be line or modem issue? Have you contacted bt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I have started to notice that BT reduce my connection speed from about 3.5mb to about 1mb or less if I stay connected for a while. What is the logic behind this and is it legal?

I am on the up to 7.6 package but when I do get 3.5 then is it not contarctually the speed I should be left at?

I wonder will vodafone be any better?

And will my price go down as vodafone appears to be cheaper. I bet that changes.

I get speed back by disconnecting router and doing a reboot- not very satisfactory and I feel cheated. I also blame my kit when it slows.

gb--

Dont be so suspicious, I have never heard of BT reducing their customer's speed after a while of being connected intentionally (apart from when you are being throttled).

By the looks of it, I am afraid that the issue, is most likely on your side. I'd ask BT to reduce your speed from 7.6 to 6 or 5 mb, just to check, as it looks like your line can't handle 7.6 mb. Give them a call and ask them to check it for you.

The fault, if any, could also be related the copper, the router or your internal wiring.

You should start by checking your internal setup, router stats, etc...

Advertisement