Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they stop me from Quitting?

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently suspended with pay pending an audit of my work... it's a little bit heavy handed I think, but this is what I'm dealing with. I got a new job and tried to hand in my notice and they said they won't accept it until the audit is done. I don't know if the audit result would be dismissal, but as a dad of three with a hefty mortgage I can't afford to hang around to find out. I'm physically sick from worry. I told my current employer that I've got a new job that I need to start next week, they said the audit won't be complete for another 5 weeks, don't make any rash decisions, don't prejudge outcome etc.. I want out though. Can they refuse to accept my resignation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

I'm currently suspended with pay pending an audit of my work... it's a little bit heavy handed I think, but this is what I'm dealing with. I got a new job and tried to hand in my notice and they said they won't accept it until the audit is done. I don't know if the audit result would be dismissal, but as a dad of three with a hefty mortgage I can't afford to hang around to find out. I'm physically sick from worry. I told my current employer that I've got a new job that I need to start next week, they said the audit won't be complete for another 5 weeks, don't make any rash decisions, don't prejudge outcome etc.. I want out though. Can they refuse to accept my resignation?

An employer cant stop you from handing in your notice or leaving... you have the right to give notice and leave if you have another job when you so choose - you dont have to wait for them to conduct the audit - just give your notice in writing telling them you are ceasing employment and on what date. Do you have a contract - what does it say in relation to the notice you are required to give when terminating the contract? Even if its 2 wks/1mth - its highly unlikely they'll pursue you for breaching the contract - the only thing is try to leave on good terms as you may need a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Pjfc37

As far as i know there is no way they can stop you from leaving. you just have to hand them written notice on when your leaving as per the terms and conditions of employment, ie. minimum weeks notice in your contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Make sure to send back any pay you receive as soon as it comes. If you are paid by cheque send back the unpaid cheque. If paid into a bank account, have the account blocked so that they cannot pay into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks everyone. I'm going to legal advisor in Citizens Info centre during the week to make sure, and I'm gonna dig out my contract if I still have it to see what notice period should be.

Advertisement