Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Sign this Petition for a Marks and Spencers in Waterford City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Seems a tad desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

We have enough British shops in the city i.e Boots and Argos how about supporting some local business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

We have enough British shops in the city i.e Boots and Argos how about supporting some local business?

Argos is actully Quite a good shop but we are the Worst city by Far for Shopping we dont have shops like cork have Or Dublin I Love Waterford but it needs more shops to draw in the shoppers from north south east and west!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You want to send a petition to the government to get a Marks and Spencers store in your town?

...actually, it might work, their doing f*ck all else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

An on-line petition means sweet feck all, with the exception of the one on the #10 website in the UK.

The government/city council can't "MAKE" a company setup shop in a area, if they are not interested and find Waterford unsuitable then I don't blame then, infact given Waterford city councils goings on the last while I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of TK Maxx shut up shop and moved from Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You want to send a petition to the government to get a Marks and Spencers store in your town?

...actually, it might work, their doing f*ck all else.

:rolleyes:
    Yeah because getting one shop setup should be priority over sorting the country out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cabaal wrote: »
    The government/city council can't "MAKE" a company setup shop in a area, if they are not interested and find Waterford unsuitable then I don't blame then, infact given Waterford city councils goings on the last while I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of TK Maxx shut up shop and moved from Waterford.

The only thing M&S would find unsuitable about Waterford would be the lack of a suitable space in which to set up. The Newgate Centre has been approved, and is suitable for M&S, so what's needed is for construction to start. For this to start, it needs funding, and for funding to come, the banks need to be sorted out... and for that... we (apparently) need NAMA!!! :rolleyes:

Why would TKMaxx shut up shop anyway? Their store is always full at busy times, so they're obviously doing well. What City Council goings-on are you talking about? :confused: The shop is in the County Council's area, which is totally separate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

This is a joke right?

Well Marks and Spencers opening in Clonmel has improved local businesses by 25%. More people going to the town, more people eating out, other local businesses benefit, not to mention the creation of at least 200 jobs.

I Know everybody would rather they bought Irish, we just have to look at the reasons why we're not as competitive if they buy elsewhere. As usual I'm afraid that question rests with our incompetent Government who believe draconian taxation is the key to our survival. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

M&S will open here when the time is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i have to admit i do go up to the one up in clonmel a fair bit just to goto m&s granted i do live out in kilmacthomas area so it is closer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You cant force a company to open here. They clearly have an interest in Waterford, they have said it. They dont have the space just yet and are looking at the ORR.

Patience and it will open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

RobitTV wrote: »
    Well Marks and Spencers opening in Clonmel has improved local businesses by 25%.

have you been to it......i was very underwhelmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

M&S pork pies, mmmmmmm :)

SUNGOD wrote: »
    have you been to it......i was very underwhelmed

Yeah i have been up there its wayy to small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

When the Newgate Centre opens M&S will be in there because there is a market for them here. We don’t need to beg them with silly a petition that makes us look a sad bunch of twits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I had to seriously LOL at the first signature.
    "We have asked asked and asked for a marks and spencers in Waterford but The goverment has done nothing at all"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I love Waterford but I do go to Clonmel for New Look and Marks and Spencers.

I mean in all honestly Clonmel compared to Waterford.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

buy irish:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Marks and Spencers is a terrible, overpriced and pretentious shop anyway! I want to see a petition for HMV or some other decent shop like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I'd like to see a marks and spencers here but a petition? What clown came up with that waste of time?

The government blocked it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Jesus, shouldnt the big company want to come to get the profits? not be begged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah cmon now give the OP a break it was in what he thought was the best interest of things. Don't start name calling. Fair enough its not the best of ideas but lay off a bit. Its this side of Internet anonymous name calling that really irritates me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

this has to rank as worst thread of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the whole concept here is so riddiculous....

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

robtri wrote: »
    this has to rank as worst thread of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the whole concept here is so riddiculous....

And thats why I am closing it, As sully has said,and others have stated similar remarks,
    You cant force a company to open here. They clearly have an interest in Waterford, they have said it. They dont have the space just yet and are looking at the ORR.

Patience and it will open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement