Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snakes and Arrows.

• 30-08-2009 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

You know, I didn't listen to this that much when it came out, but lately I almost cannot stop listening to it. The Main Monkey Business is practically hypnotic, I just love it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

You quite like your Rush...
    i could never really get into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Honestly, they're a band I found had just really kept on growing on me. I wasn't really a fan at first, but the more I listened, the more fanastic they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Sorry Karl but I really really did not like this album at all. It seems to me that the last truly great album rush did was 'Counterparts' from 1993 IMO.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I think it's a great album, one of their best IMO. 'Far Cry', 'Working Them Angels', 'Armor & Sword', 'Malignant Narcissism'...so many good tracks.

The production is brilliant, very fresh sounding. And live the new songs stood up against the old classics. A fine album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Funny you should that Karl, i have been listening to the album a lot recently and yes it is growing more and more on me. It's like the classic Rush, i discover something new the more i listen, i think that is the reason i love the band so much.Definitely that album is in my top 5 Rush Albums of all time

• Advertisement

You know, I think it was the Snakes and Arrows live DVD that really made me appreciate the album, getting a feel for how the songs fit in with the classic material.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I only started listening to Rush a few months ago but I'm really loving them.

Havent gotten Snakes and Arrows yet but I have heard Malignant Narcissism which I really like (cool video too)

Also Neil Peart is possibly the best drummer I've ever heard.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Its a class album, not up with the very best, but easily in the top half of their catalog. They had to deliver on this after only really finding their feet again with Vapor Trails and they did with a very accomplished and ballsy set. The theme that runs through most of it is executed in a very satisfying way along with the light and shade of the music, some really heavy moments and some quite gently and three instrumentals all of which are great. I was worried before its release that they were not capable of another very good album - now I think they have at least one more great album in they, maybe more. Live the tracks work great and while they didn't sound like they've been in the set list for every I reckon they will the next time they tour.
    Its success probably has a lot to do with producer Nick Raskulinecz, but then they picked him. Hope he's there next time
    And finally, the final track, We Hold On, is another great Rush driving tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think its a real shame that they messed up so badly on the production of Vapour Trails as I think the quality of the songs is top notch and better than those on Snakes and Arrows; the songs on that album do benefit from better production though. Tbh I can only listen to VT in small doses. If I attempt to listen to the whole thing at once it invariably gives me a headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I'm not a fan of the band but after the discussion about the blu ray I went out and bought it and haven't stopped watching it since. A great concert and now I would love to see the band live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

MalNar is a brill little song. I love Far Cry. It's different to their older music, but still has that Rush sound. Tis a great album.

rednik wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the band but after the discussion about the blu ray I went out and bought it and haven't stopped watching it since. A great concert and now I would love to see the band live.

I waited 25 years as a fan to see them live for the first time, and not only did they live up to my expectations, they surpassed it. Live they are on a different level, and an amazing light show to match. Don't miss them next time.:cool:

Thanks for tha Galway any idea what they're up to and what they plan in the future. Is there no fanbase here for them to play Ireland.

rednik wrote: »
    Thanks for tha Galway any idea what they're up to and what they plan in the future. Is there no fanbase here for them to play Ireland.

I was surprised at the amount of Irish people i met at the UK and European gigs, so yes there seems to be a fan base here, not sure if it's big enough to cover the cost of bringing the show here, they had an above 10,000 average for their Euro tour last time.Seeing them in a full MEN Arena in Manchester is some sight.We met one of the engineers and he said they would need 2 gigs selling about 8000 tickets each to cover coming to Dublin and Belfast for 2 gigs, they apparently considered coming here last tour, but the Point was being re built at the time so the idea was scrapped.
    The Rush forum i frequent is The National Midday Sun, European Rush fans web site. www.t-n-m-s.com That's where i got my tickets organised for the last 2 tours.:cool: and there are a few Rush related piss up's usually somewhere in the UK every year, and we even had one in Galway may 08.

I've been listening to and buying music since the mid to late seventies and now I am wondering how the hell I never got into them before now. None of my friends were into the band so I suppose that didn't help. But better late than never.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Galway and yes that one last year was a great session,,,looking forward to the next one and bringing NSD down to entertain ya's again too ;)

Baggio wrote: »
    Galway and yes that one last year was a great session,,,looking forward to the next one and bringing NSD down to entertain ya's again too ;)

Reminds me, i'll see what i can do this weekend about getting some dated down here for you.:cool:
    It'll be good to hear a few Rush tunes played here again.

Nice one tom, would be great to be down there!!

, 2 nights back to back would be even better ;)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

You know, I didn't listen to this that much when it came out, but lately I almost cannot stop listening to it. The Main Monkey Business is practically hypnotic, I just love it.
    You know, I think it was the Snakes and Arrows live DVD that really made me appreciate the album, getting a feel for how the songs fit in with the classic material.

We know, we know! :)

Great album. Rush are a great band. No doubt about it.

Matt Cooper gave Rush a mention today, talking about The Beatles thingy interactive game, he said he's prefer to wait for the Rush version.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

And despite Mr Peart going to become a Dad again soon...they're talking about a new album to be recorded perhaps next year!!

flickarius wrote: »
    And despite Mr Peart going to become a Dad again soon...they're talking about a new album to be recorded perhaps next year!!

I believe mother and baby daughter doing well for a couple of weeks now.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Oops... seems I'm a wee bit behind in the news! :( Thanks for that. I'm so glad there are some Rush fans here, pity not enough to warrant a visit on any tour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

galwayrush wrote: »
    Matt Cooper gave Rush a mention today, talking about The Beatles thingy interactive game, he said he's prefer to wait for the Rush version.:cool:

Matt Cooper is the only declared Rush fan on the airwaves on the whole country I'd say.

The last Rush album I bought was Roll the Bones which shows how out of touch I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Been listening to a lot of rush and yes recently but i still dont have this album. I take it from all the positive comments its well worth a purchase?

Patricide wrote: »
    I take it from all the positive comments its well worth a purchase?

I'd say it's well worth it.

It's so worth it, i convinced the wife we needed a PS3 to play SnA on Blueray format.:)

Good stuff galway.....

great to hear Peart is a dad again after all the trouble and pain he went through, actually while i have ya there,,,,it's a pity yur not nearer Monaghan town this week! my two bands Never Say Die and Ireland Maiden doing a split gig in McKenna's venue - hour and a half each for each band, "le drum solo" will be part of the break ahah......

will be a rocking night,,Passage To Bangkok will deffo make the night aswell ;)

if ya can come along do...will be a great night bud :)

ciao' amigo...Baggio....

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Personally I love ''Fly by Night'' i just think it's an absolutely quality album. It was such a big, bold fresh album. LOVE it!

Can't find a very good quality live video... sound will have to do ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

starflake wrote: »
    One of my favourite Rush songs :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement